Fishing lodges step up to help pay Don Staniford legal costs

MILLERTIME

In an unprecedented move fishing lodges are challenging other lodges to support the legal costs of the 20-day defamation trial: Staniford vs Mainstream (owned by Cermaq, largely owned by the Norwegian government). Staniford compared the salmon farming industry to big tobacco.

Central to the case is whether the salmon farming industry read the scientific papers recommending limiting farm salmon consumption due to toxin levels and then spent millions trying to convince people to eat more farm salmon.

The trial is ongoing this week. Already $24,000 has come from over 300 donations from the public. $10,000 came from a group of fishermen in Norway. A Swedish fly-fishing magazine has put out a plea for funding of this case.

The trial is public and ongoing at: Law Courts, Nelson and Hornby entrance 10 am #52.

See the BC fishing lodge challenge: www.alexandramorton.typepad.com

If we want wild salmon it is up to us.

Alexandra Morton
www.alexandramorton.typepad.com

6a0120a56ab882970c0167615c9c43970b-pi

Good on all the Lodges that are doing this but I can think of one Charter/Lodge/Owner based here in Victoria who could fund this case with just his spare pocket change if he wanted to but there is no mention of his Group on the poster...... Wild Salmon made him what he is today a multi multi millionaire but to my knowledge he does nothing to support or enhance Wild Salmon.....

Agree with your latest post there Millertime. It's one thing for us rec fishermen to pitch in a few bucks each to help cover Don's legal fees but many of the lodge owners wouldn't blink with having to donate 50K or 100k to a charity or cause they support. First off, not many lodges make a ton of money these days so I'm not implying every lodge owner is flush with cash but there are several lodge owners in BC who own lodges in the same way people own sport franchises. They may or may not make money operating them but they own them for other reasons (personal playground, status, business interests, ego, a place to escape to, etc.) and if they could be convinced that Don's cause is worth supporting I think they'd cut a big cheque in a heartbeat.

Notwithstanding that some lodges are "head-in-the-sanders" or adopt a "not-my-problem" attitude, this is pretty amazing for these four lodges to publicaly step up like this. The announcement itself is a pretty big broadside against the salmon feed lots. Well I have made my contribution (based on a previous post about this case). As Alex Morton says "If we want wild salmon, it is up to us".

Back