Fishing Guide Convicted and Fined?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry

As I was driving to work this morning I heard on CBC radio news that a BC fishing guide was fined $15,000 for using barbed hooks and keeping oversize salmon. They provided the guides name, but I won't repeat it as I am not sure that I would get it right. I can't find anymore about this story on any of the news sites, has anyone else heard anything about it? Or was I just day dreaming as usual on my way to work.

$15K ??? not too likely for barbed hooks!!! And over sized?? WTF is with that? Which news feed was that?

Googled it and nothing

As a diehard CBC listener, I heard it too. Didn't catch the name of the one guide that was mentioned and fined, but it sounds just like the end result of the case mentioned in this post from 2009 right here on sfbc.

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?10957-Nootka-Guide-busted

originally posted by salmonkiller01

Nootka Guide busted
Just read this in the courier islander, wow dfo is out there!!

http://www2.canada.com/courierisland...b-e3e7a231a45e

Raid on Nootka Island Fishing Lodge alledges serious fisheries violations, could lead to larger investigation
Dan MacLennan, Courier-Islander
Published: Friday, September 04, 2009
Fisheries Act charges are pending and more are expected following a DFO/RCMP raid on the Nootka Island Fishing Lodge last week.

And that raid may only be part of a much larger investigation, says DFO.

Members of the DFO's Gold River field office and Nootka Sound RCMP visited the site, not far from the mouth of Nootka Sound, off the west coast of the Island Thursday evening.
According to Jason Knight, DFO's Gold River field supervisor, they arrested a fishing guide, seized a fishing boat and gear, and interviewed guides and clients.

"We apprehended a recreational fishing guide operating out of Nootka Island Lodge for some serious violations of recreational fishing regulations," he said. "Fishery officers were acting on information that was received from the general public, as well as an observed history of violations, conducting an extensive investigation utilizing both traditional patrol and surveillance techniques as well as plain clothes operations fishing alongside the violators in a vessel.

"Numerous violations of the fishing regulations including chinook conservation rules, were documented by the officers on more than one of the employees of the lodge."

Knight wouldn't go into specifics, saying the investigation is ongoing. He said the investigation started last year.

"We've laid some charges already and are looking at further charges in regards to barbed hooks and the conservation corridor for the chinook, and coho regulations for wild coho returning to the Fraser River. They were caught in an area where they're not allowed to retain wild coho that would be transiting stock.

"There's many violations, (including) failing to record chinook on a licence. There's a lot of issues."

Knight said RCMP seized a quantity of marijuana as well.

A Nootka Island Fishing Lodge spokesperson was unavailable for comment at press time.

DFO has established conservation 'corridors' in the area to protect and support spawning chinook. Knight said they're trying to protect chinook over 77 centimetres in length because many of them are females returning to spawn in west coast streams, loaded with eggs.

"The sportfishing industry can still have an opportunity to fish but we're trying to protect the larger females to get back into the system to spawn so that they can try and get the stocks to come back to historical levels," he said.

Knight said the DFO investigation isn't restricted to the one lodge.

"This isn't necessarily an isolated event with one group or one lodge," he said. "We are continuing to investigate similar events in other locations. I can assure you that it's more than an individual lodge but we're not quite sure of the scope at this time."

DFO is asking the public to report any violations on its toll free line 1-800-465-4336

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember in 2009 when Nootka Island Lodge got raided? Well, Jim was pretty much the fall guy, he just had his court case in the last few weeks.The fisheries had undercover cops go there for what sounds like years as guests. They got a bunch of dirt on the lodge in general and Im not sure when Tim will have to go to court, if at all. I guided there many years ago and do the odd charter out of there still and it has always been "bonk everything". Some guides took it pretty far and in my opinion they should have been nailed too. They got Jimmy on a number of counts of all kind of infractions.

Thankfully it was not a member who runs by this same moniker "Fishing Guide".

Ding Dong!

I highly dout it was our friend "Fishing Guide" he is a far better fisherman then the person that did this crime. Why would you even bring this good fellows name into to this.

I would imagine that it was because of the title "Fishing Guide Convicted and Fined?". Did you get your money back yet?

I know dozens of people that call them selfs a "Fishing Guide". Nothing more to say. As I will not drag someone or there handle thru the mud.

What money? plus what interest do you have in any matter of mine? Off topic....Sorry

Cheers All,

Ding Dong: Thank you for your overwhelming concern on my behalf and, while it is somewhat puzzling that, knowing me as you do or the vast previous public information (including names and locations) provided in this case, you would even associate me with such actions, you may now rest, assured that it was not me that was involved in this case.

A simple case of confusing wording in the original post...but...understandable... as I am known to catch and keep large fish...and continue my quest for more...and more...and more.... ;)

I actually do not know you, nor do you me; in the future please do not imply that we do. The response was simply as stated "Fishing Guide Convicted and Fined?". No need to flake out and pretend that it is more than it is for sensationalism sake.

Please.

Ding Dong!

Cheers Ding Dong,

If that is your stance that you don't "know me" then it is one that I will respect...(do we really ever get to know someone?);however, I don't think my response could be considered 'flake out' nor was it sensationalized but a simple and sincere response to a confusion in wording. In fact when I received a phone call about your post I laughed as it was quite obvious as to what had occured.

One could certainly suggest that with the names and information previously provided in public documents, news and on this and other forums, you would have been keenly aware of who was truely involved in this case and, as such, the sensationalism from the original post was only enhanced by your post. One then wonders as to the basis of such a post when the background was previously firmly established.

However; as posted earlier: your "concern" for my welfare was touching and I reinterate that you may now rest, assured it was not me!

The stance that you imply is by your words, and have nothing to do with me. Funny how honest thankfulness is determined to be dishonorable in a single line of simple words. Imagine.

Ding Dong!

Ding Dong sounds like a guy named Jelvis over at HuntingBC. Never makes any sense and just talks in riddles and circles until you stoop down to his level......

A troller on a fishing site....now that's not a riddle.

Cheers

SS

His name says it all: Ding Dong. Enough said.

He is at it again....

attachment.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back