fishing gear

Prawny

Good morning all, After 30 years of knuckle swatting salmon reel reels I am thinking of upgrading my reels to a couple of Penn 330 LD or the star drag 330. I know its not a sporty as palm braking and howling reels but as my wife and I age gracefully its a long crank from 250ft or am we just getting a little lazy? Anyway. I would appreciate any feed back on the above, or reasons for other choices. Much thanks, Prawny
P.S. Any one have thoughts on the prop change mentioned in my last posted topic?

The Pen 330 is a fair reel, but very large and awkward for salmon. If I was to go with an entry level reel, I would go with the 320LD (Lever Drag). The 320 is a lot narrower, and a lot lighter. The handle is closer to the rod so you are not twisting the reel around while cranking, I have 4 of them on my boat for my guests who are "single action challenged", and for fishing sockey (So they don't pull hooks out by crakning on a single actin). The lever allows for much finer tuning of drag on the fly, and when the fish is REALLY giving it, it's actually a neat feeling to pop the drag lever down (Not the same as the free spool lever on the 330), and THUMB the spool as the fish takes line. Like palming a fish, but without the busted knuckes, and the ability to retrieve your line quickly. Then, if you are done "thumbing" your fish, you click the lever to the pre-set "fish" position where you can have the line tension pre-set to whatever you like to have it at.

My upkeep costs on the 330's was close to buying a new reel every year, my 320's have lasted 2 seasons with one pawl being replaced.

HOWEVER, if you plan on fishing Halibut, I would stronly suggest something without the level wind, the 2lb balls kills all of the entry level Penn stuff. I would still go star-drag, but no level wind, the little pawls LOVE to jam over to one side and pile the line up when you least expect it.

...some other options worth investigating are the famous ABU 7000 or 10000 and the Shimano Calcutta 700. I enjoy them all, each has a place with me while trolling...but I do love my MR3.;)

Thanks Last Chance and RVP for your information on salmon reels. It lools like a little more homework is in order before the wallet comes out. Not sure what "entry level" is based on. Price, manufacturer, use ....? It seems to be heard a lot at the marine sporting level, boats etc. although I suspect it refers to cheaper or lower side of the manufacturers line of products. I know a couple of years ago while considering purchasing a new boat in Victoria, after arriving at a price that I thought only applied to small houses, was told "If you must buy an "entry level" this one would do the job. I guess it s not based on price!

Hey LC,

I have not tried a lever drag reel in quite a while. The last one I tried I hated as the lever went from full on to full off fast and setting anything in the middle was very fidely. I like to have my drag "just right" when setting my downriggers and the star drag let's me get them perfect. How twichy are the LDs with such a short throw having to cover the drag range? Ever get any guests knocking the lever as they play fish?

I love my 309's and they have been bulletproof for years but was thinking of looking for a lighter graphite with a higher gear ratio for next year. Can't get em to the boat fast enough with all those predators lurking around :D

The 320's don't seem to fall out of adjustment very often on me, however, I have had the odd guest hit the lever by accident. The adjustment knob allows you to slowly set it to right where you want it. The other benefit is the drag adjustment knob can only be adjusted while the lever is right off, preventing guests from torquing down on it as they get excited on watching their first salmon run.

Prawny,

You should looks at the shimano TLD lever drags we used them for years in San Diego fishing for Tuna. They are light and pretty reasonable they are graphite. For salmon you can get by with tld 15 or 20 and they sell new on ebay for around $100 US. I use the TLD 25 for Hali and it works great I use to use them for Salmon but it is kind of over kill. I have some that I have used for 10 years and all I do is rinse them after each fishing trip.

Joe

Thanks all for your info on salmon trolling reels. Still doing homework. Hopefully heading up to the Broughtons next week for the first time to explore and fish with my wife and another couple. I heard the best place to put in is telagraph cove. Don't really want to put in further south and head up, as the staight can puff up, so looking for the shortest trip across. Waiting to hear on booking a float cabin at craycroft for 3 nights then maybe a couple of nights on the boat (1851 Seaswirl striper w/a) Anyone that has played up that way and would like to share some thoughts, would be appreciated. COME ON SUMMER!!!
Prawny

Thanks all for your info on salmon trolling reels. Still doing homework. Hopefully heading up to the Broughtons next week for the first time to explore and fish with my wife and another couple. I heard the best place to put in is telagraph cove. Don't really want to put in further south and head up, as the staight can puff up, so looking for the shortest trip across. Waiting to hear on booking a float cabin at craycroft for 3 nights then maybe a couple of nights on the boat (1851 Seaswirl striper w/a) Anyone that has played up that way and would like to share some thoughts, would be appreciated. COME ON SUMMER!!!
Prawny

You want the Shimano Charter Special 1000 lever drag they're much better made than the Penns and these days cheaper too.

Get the 1000 not the larger one it's easier/lighter to use you don't need all that capacity.

picshimanocs1.jpg

You want the Shimano Charter Special 1000 lever drag they're much better made than the Penns and these days cheaper too.

Get the 1000 not the larger one it's easier/lighter to use you don't need all that capacity.

picshimanocs1.jpg

Hey Dogbreath - that's a pretty wide looking reel.... I've found that with those wider reels some of our guests with less strong wrists/forearms have problem with the rod wanting to roll around in their hand as they try to reel, especially the women with smaller hands. I prefer a deeper, narrower reel to offset that problem... ever noticed that when fishing those reels???

Hey Dogbreath - that's a pretty wide looking reel.... I've found that with those wider reels some of our guests with less strong wrists/forearms have problem with the rod wanting to roll around in their hand as they try to reel, especially the women with smaller hands. I prefer a deeper, narrower reel to offset that problem... ever noticed that when fishing those reels???

I have the 1000 version never had a problem, it is easy to control drag even for beginners used it for salmon and bottom fish. also has a check so you cannot tighten the drag all the way unless you push in a button so it is hard for "persons" to have too much drag set for larger fish. Helped my young nephew catch a 38 lb ling cod and for an inexperienced fisherman like him no problem.

RS

I have the 1000 version never had a problem, it is easy to control drag even for beginners used it for salmon and bottom fish. also has a check so you cannot tighten the drag all the way unless you push in a button so it is hard for "persons" to have too much drag set for larger fish. Helped my young nephew catch a 38 lb ling cod and for an inexperienced fisherman like him no problem.

RS

quote:Originally posted by SIR

As Ringo says the 1000 is the model to have, I know what you mean about torque with wider reels it a PITA, or PITW if you prefer.

quote:Originally posted by SIR

As Ringo says the 1000 is the model to have, I know what you mean about torque with wider reels it a PITA, or PITW if you prefer.

Back