Fishing Derby Volunteers Needed

profisher

We are looking for a few volunteers to help at the Oak Bay Marine Group 2018 Juan De Fuca Fishing Tournament for a few hours on Saturday August 11th and Sunday August 12th. We need extra staff for a few hours at the Pedder Bay Marina weigh station during peak hours each day. Peak hours would be from 1 pm to 5:30 pm on Saturday and from 9 am to 12:30 pm on Sunday. Volunteers would meet once with the weigh scale manager prior to the event and have their responsibilities and procedures explained to them. Each volunteer receives a free tournament staff polo shirt to keep and we hold a de-brief barbecue/party for all volunteers post event.
Obviously if you are fishing this weekend in the tournament you won't be able to volunteer yourself. We hope some of you may have wives, friends or family members who may want to help us with our staffing needs. Following is a list of staff we need and their duties.

1. Greeter who checks all ticket holders in each day from a master list. Checks for valid fishing license, tournament ticket & pre-filled in fish draw tickets
2. Greeters helper to deal with people missing any of the required items.
3. Weigh scale master to operate the scale and confirm official weights
4. Weigh scale helper to lift all fish onto the scale and snip a portion of each weighed fishes tail
5. Weigh scale recorder helper to assist the recorder
6. Fish cleaner to clean all contending leader board fish, maintain the leader fish ice totes and update the leader board
7. A floater to move around and help out where needed and cover other misc tasks.

If you know anyone who might be able to help out send me a pm. Thanks Rollie

Bump...only one person has offered their help so far!?!?

Bump

I am consistently amazed at how difficult it is to find a few part-time volunteers for these sort of events. Good luck with it. These events don't run themselves and the main organizers probably put in dozens and dozens of hours ahead of time working on the event so hopefully a few others step up and chip in! Many hands...

Try advertizing as a job or work that dosen't compansate monataraly.The idea of a volunteer is they set there own hours of opperations.

I organize this pretty much on my own and we are talking a few hundred hours. When ticket sales come in I work with Chris Bos to get everything set up into a digital spread sheet which he has always undertaken. I get and need help for the two pub night, the weigh scale on the Saturday and Sunday and the awards banquet on Sunday afternoon. Otherwise I get the soonsors, do the arrangements for shirts, hats, posters, and all printing. I take the posters out and place them, pick up and catalog all the prizes, book the banquet room, get the liquor license, make arrangements for the meals, coordinate for the Sooke Food Bank to be on site, get the volunteers and meet with them so they understand their duties. Buy prizes with cash donations (one of the fun tasks, shooping with someone elses money) pick up all the liquor. I also organize the barbecue for the volunteers after the event and usually hold it at my place. Its a big job but I willingly signed on and knew going in it would entail many hours of work. It has been worth it for all the people I get to work with and the closer relationships I have with our sponsors....which doesn't hurt me with my own fishing charter business. I do most of these chores in the spring when I'm not going 100% with my fishing charters. There are only two tasks that drag on right up to the event itself and that is ticket sales and picking up prizes from the sponsors. If those two things cleared up earlier it would be a lot less stressful.

C'mon there has to be some folks out there, or family, friends, etc. that can volunteer some time to support this derby?

This is one of the last big derbies on Vancouver Island! We have had 2 derbies in the last 2 years shut down (i.e. the Bite Me and the Consultants) due to a lack of volunteer help.

Bottom line: if folks can't help out, then less derbies in the future. So I say let's ask around and try to meet this need!

Last edited:
Bump...I have heard from two people who will be helping us at he weight scale this summer...still need 4-5 more. This will be for a few hours on both Saturday and Sunday August 11th and 12th. Likely 1pm to 5:30 pm Saturday and 10am to 1pm Sunday (just the peak times at the weigh scale)

I really wish I lived closer, would definitely help out. Talking to all the fishermen coming in and weighting a few fish. Just being around this environment is a good thing. Can’t really call it working. Have to move over to Fishing Heaven, maybe next year.

Oly

Back