Fish Finder Question

Whole in the Water

I got a question for you all out there.

Does anyone out there know anything about the Humminbird 947c 3d fishfinder/chartplotter??? It creates a 3d image of the bottom that would be great for structure related fishing.

http://www.humminbird.com/products.asp?id=627

Does anyone out there own one and can tell me if this 3d function actulally works well for saltwater fishing???

I appreciate any knowledgable comments. Thanks.

It appears to have enough wattage to be good in the salt. On one of the transducer settings, it should work. I wa watching about this fishfinder on TV the other day. Saltwater is a lot tougher than the good old bass boys and their shallow water. They showed a really clear picture of the bottom.

My guess is not as well in salt. There are a lot of minerals in the salt and its denser. You also have currents that are always moving. This makes it a lot tougher for them to read bottom. I ahve yet to se a Hummingbird work in deep saltwater over 400 or 500 feet. The transducer needs to be 200khz and below to work efficiently in saltwater. This one has 83kHz & 455Hz. The 83 khz setting should work. I am sure this unit is expensive. I am going to stick with my Lowrances. They have treated me very well. Broke a few myself and they warrantied them anyway. I would be afraid to be the first one on the block with one. But then agian it might be a great unit. The nmea is older technology (couple years). New units are using the nmea 2000 and not the older nmea 0183 like this one is.

Give it a try on thehulltruth.com and see what they say.

Back