Fish Feedlot Chemicals cause serious harm!!!

Foxsea

Norwegian study cites sea lice chemicals in harm to crustaceans

On Jan 21 2013 in Norway, the Norwegian Climate and Pollution Agency (Klif) announced that Anti-lice agents used in fish farming can cause serious harm to the wider environment, according to a study published by the organization.

The study was conducted by the Institute of Marine Research (IMR) and National Institute of Nutrition and Seafood Research (Nifes) and examined the spread and impact of the delousing agents used in commercial fisheries. The study comes after a 2011 report from Klif identified two delousing agents, diflubenzuron and teflurbenzuron, as existing in high enough concentrations around fisheries that they could be harmful to crustaceans such as crabs and shrimp up to a mile away from the fishery.
Klif will now begin work on restricting the use of the chemicals in Norway’s commercial fish farms.

http://chemicalwatch.com/13547/norwegian-study-finds-wider-impacts-of-marine-delousing-agents

Great post, reconfirmation of what we all already know. There is no room in our ocean, or any ocean for that matter for fish farms. Contained systems with water filtration or no systems at all!

My favourite prawn hole is right beside an Atlantic farm. It usually produces till the commies come through. They clean it right out and after a while it repopulates itself no problem. Just sayin.

Your prawning spot and this study are not related. More proof against salmon farms. More distraction and deflection by birdsnest. Why do the farms even need to Delouse birdsnest? In another thread you said pathogens are an assumed threat not a real threat so why the lice medicine I thought fish farms don't spread disease and parasites? If its not a problem you don't need to dump Delouse chemicals at every fish farm site.

Like I said I am not even allowed to have bottom paint on my boat. No chemicals are used where I work and this is the same for other companies as well. Next......

The prawns like the fish feed. It's what we use for bait.

Prawns also love to congregate where raw sewage pours into the ocean. My buddy's dog drank spilled anti-freeze. What's your point? Animals don't always eat what's good for them... just what's nearest. They often suffer the consequences of doing so. The best thing about humans is that we've developed the brains and technology to have a much better idea of what's good and bad to put through our body... and that's why most people who understand how farmed salmon and raised won't touch them with a 10 foot pole.

My favourite prawn hole is right beside an Atlantic farm. It usually produces till the commies come through. They clean it right out and after a while it repopulates itself no problem. Just sayin.

This just came through my FB feed:

At 12:30 p.m. today our president and CEO Dr. Brian Riddell will be on CBC Radio’s B.C. Almanac to discuss our new intitiative with Genome BC and Fisheries and Oceans Canada. The new Salmon Health Initiative will provide the largest evaluation of the distribution and impact of potential disease agents ever conducted on B.C. Brian will be on air to take calls from the public. You can hear the program at 690 AM or 88.1 FM in Vancouver or via the CBC website: http://www.cbc.ca/

Like I said I am not even allowed to have bottom paint on my boat. No chemicals are used where I work and this is the same for other companies as well. Next......

Birdsnest and Clayoquot Kid....if that is your real names...

All serious though. You do keep saying how great the company that you work for is and that they don't use chemicals. If this is the case, then perhaps your company is doing something right and should be applauded for it. I do find this highly suspicious though as it is a known fact that the salmon farm industry does rely on medicine/chemicals to control lice. Is there a reason that there seems to be a strong correlation between those who post under made up names and those supporting/fighting for fish farms. Stronger than the anti-farm side: Ie Alexandra Morton!!

I have 3 theories:

1. You are a fish farmer, you and your company do everything right, have a great track record and are a model for the industry to follow. IF this is the case: you should have no problem with telling us your name, company and farm location. Your particular site does have relevance to your anecdotal evidence that you give.

2. You are a fish farmer who lies through his teeth and is trying VERY VERY hard(valiant effort I must say) to convince the forum members that fish farms are great for the world. You may be paid to post or doing it in order to keep a job. I have a feeling this is a full time gig though as you certainly are quick to the punch.

3. You are not a fish farmer at all, although maybe in the past, and are a full time lobbyist and this is just part or your routine.

If the answer is 1, then I am really looking forward to knowing about your company and practices. I hope this to be true and have an open mind to be convinced about the issue. It just so happens that with all of the evidence that I have come across, the anti side seems closer to the truth than the fish farm side, but the truth is likely somewhere in the midde with a large amount of blame for wild salmon declines going towards commercial overfishing and habitat loss in streams(although habitat is better than it has been in centuries). I am guessing if the correct answer is 2 or 3 that you will have some amusing response and will probably not even address the question about your company and location.

I agree with Andrew. I would like to know who these guys are as well. or at least where you work. If you have nothing to hide and your business is legit, there should be no problem sharing where you work. But i'm guessing you could lose your job for giving out that info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Birdsnest and Clayoquot Kid....if that is your real names...

All serious though. You do keep saying how great the company that you work for is and that they don't use chemicals. If this is the case, then perhaps your company is doing something right and should be applauded for it. I do find this highly suspicious though as it is a known fact that the salmon farm industry does rely on medicine/chemicals to control lice. Is there a reason that there seems to be a strong correlation between those who post under made up names and those supporting/fighting for fish farms. Stronger than the anti-farm side: Ie Alexandra Morton!!

I have 3 theories:

1. You are a fish farmer, you and your company do everything right, have a great track record and are a model for the industry to follow. IF this is the case: you should have no problem with telling us your name, company and farm location. Your particular site does have relevance to your anecdotal evidence that you give.

2. You are a fish farmer who lies through his teeth and is trying VERY VERY hard(valiant effort I must say) to convince the forum members that fish farms are great for the world. You may be paid to post or doing it in order to keep a job. I have a feeling this is a full time gig though as you certainly are quick to the punch.

3. You are not a fish farmer at all, although maybe in the past, and are a full time lobbyist and this is just part or your routine.

If the answer is 1, then I am really looking forward to knowing about your company and practices. I hope this to be true and have an open mind to be convinced about the issue. It just so happens that with all of the evidence that I have come across, the anti side seems closer to the truth than the fish farm side, but the truth is likely somewhere in the midde with a large amount of blame for wild salmon declines going towards commercial overfishing and habitat loss in streams(although habitat is better than it has been in centuries). I am guessing if the correct answer is 2 or 3 that you will have some amusing response and will probably not even address the question about your company and location.

So what are you Birdnest and Clayquot Kid? In the spirit of open and honest debate please let us know.

The nature of the forum is on of a certain level of anonymity but like most know I am a fish farmer and have been for a very long time. If its your preference to feed this reply to the conspiracy theme than so be it. Otherwise if everyone participating was willing to put forth who they are and where they work then maybe we have something. From my own previous attempts to do this it seem that very few were willing to do this so at this point neither am I. There are some here who have posted where I work and what I do and if they feel that it is an important component of the debate they will throw me out there. Either way good solid facts will remain facts.

I don't blame you for not posting your name and anyone who expects you to is foolish. It is however reasonable to ask what outfit you work for especially when your making statements like 'the company I work for doesn't use chemicals'.

Back that up with some proof. You want us to prove fish farms spread disease etc. you prove your company doesn't use chemicals or at least put it out there so somebody can verify your statements. I'm sure you'll choose not to and I'm sure it's because you know your making false statements. But please - prove me wrong.

Your right about one thing though. Facts are facts and the fact is fish farms are not good for local marine ecosystems!

Last edited by a moderator:
Birdsnest has never hidden the fact of where he works.
do a search or wait for him to tell you.
As for the new guy.... No idea but he could be Steve from Campbell River a friend of salmom farming.
GLG

When I said they don't use chemicals, I meant on the fish. Pretty hard to dodge critics here. Even got called out for not putting anti fouling on the bottom of my boat like I am some kind of fool tho I do know of some Eco friendly products to use I just sceptical about them.

I would love too see a scientific analysis of the food pellets you use... Or tell us of your hundreds of morts per day and how they don't effect the ecosystems at all... or how about the sling shots you guys carry around at all times to pick off the 'pesky' seagulls and seals looking for an easy meal? I know a few people who work on farms who say they would never eat a farmed fish in their life.. that says something right there. Its a filthy industry plain and simple. If your so proud of your occupation how about wear a marine harvest shirt around any coastal community in alaska for a day... I dare ya! Ive never seen so many 'friends dont let friends eat farmed salmon' bumper stickers in my life as I did in Ketchican. The hate for them there is so intense just being a Canadian brings up some rage in some people.

I did a commercial prawn season in the discovery islands... My skipper pointed out a bunch of spot near farms that used to be good but are now complete dead zones. He said when the farms first showed up prawning was good for another year or two and then everything completely disappeared. Just sayin..

Back