Fish Farms

Status
Not open for further replies.
lots of deflecting... what happens when these farm salmon are deloused? all them lice go find other hosts!!

It's only deflecting when you dont believe the science. If you read the article it answers your questions about were the lice go.......

Weird, the article didn't mention the 30 lice per fish observed in the Clayoquot.

"One theory is that massive mortality is caused by sea lice and that the infestations come from salmon farms."
Again, you don't need to look any further than Clayoquot sound. None of those outmigrating smolts had a chance.

It's only deflecting when you dont believe the science. If you read the article it answers your questions about were the lice go.......

to find other hosts is what i read.

Weird, the article didn't mention the 30 lice per fish observed in the Clayoquot.

"One theory is that massive mortality is caused by sea lice and that the infestations come from salmon farms."
Again, you don't need to look any further than Clayoquot sound. None of those outmigrating smolts had a chance.
Not weird at all, the guy doesn't work in clayoquot sound. So how in the world would he be able to comment on it in a professional manner?

to find other hosts is what i read.
Really?

A 2008 study by Craig Losos, a master's student at Simon Fraser University, points out another issue. Mr. Losos found that while stickleback are infected by sea lice, the fish also prey on lice.

"Thus, sticklebacks are more likely to be 'sinks' for sea lice than 'sources,'" he wrote.

Mr. Taccogna advances another possible explanation, saying natural conditions such as high ocean salinity could explain the high lice loads in wild fish this spring.

Really?

A 2008 study by Craig Losos, a master's student at Simon Fraser University, points out another issue. Mr. Losos found that while stickleback are infected by sea lice, the fish also prey on lice.

"Thus, sticklebacks are more likely to be 'sinks' for sea lice than 'sources,'" he wrote.

Mr. Taccogna advances another possible explanation, saying natural conditions such as high ocean salinity could explain the high lice loads in wild fish this spring.

ya, you are correct, all the shed lice by poisons go on sticklebacks only. right!!

LOCAL
Cooke Aquaculture moving 800,000 Atlantic salmon to Puget Sound
Around 800,000 1-year-old Atlantic salmon will be transferred to two Cooke Aquaculture facilities in Puget Sound this fall.
Author: KING Staff
Published: 10:13 AM PDT August 29, 2018
https://www.king5.com/article/news/...-atlantic-salmon-to-puget-sound/281-588747582
I was wondering what would happen to those smolts.
There might be a research opportunity for WDFW, the Wild Fish Conservancy or someone else to take water samples at the two marine sites before and after smolts are entered in the fall and compare for PRV concentration. Anyone know how long those two sites have been empty?

Clearly not reading the article.

"Then in the spring, when the young salmon come flooding out of the rivers, the lice are ready to attach themselves to their preferred host."

hey look and read! i can copy and paste too!

I was wondering what would happen to those smolts.
There might be a research opportunity for WDFW, the Wild Fish Conservancy or someone else to take water samples at the two marine sites before and after smolts are entered in the fall and compare for PRV concentration. Anyone know how long those two sites have been empty?
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...-puget-sound-before-industrys-permits-expire/
These smolts are apparently different from the original 800,000. Supposedly PRV free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back