Fish farms in Broughton Archipelago to be phased out by 2023

wildmanyeah

Crew Member
I know fish farms have been a no go topic, But I beleive local news and the relevance of this to all is worth a discussion. This area we have discussed in the past as the most probable area to remove fish farms and it looks like that is what will take place.

Delete or remove it if its still a no go topic?

https://www.timescolonist.com/news/...chipelago-to-be-phased-out-by-2023-1.23537659

Reactions: BCI
Shouldn’t be a no go topic. Just read the story before I saw this and seems good at first glance but may increase production in other areas apparently.

So they are being shut down because of their negative and harmful impacts on wild salmon - good! BUT what about all the other areas that have net pen fish farms? Don't the wild salmon in these other areas need to be protected from fish farm harm?

"Premier John Horgan said the "orderly transition," beginning in 2019, will ensure economic certainty for the industry while working to protect the health of wild salmon in the archipelago — a key migratory route for wild salmon off northeastern Vancouver Island."

"Our governments have come together to help revitalize and protect wild salmon, and provide greater economic certainty for communities and local workers," Horgan said in a statement."

The agreement also calls for the establishment of a "farm-free migration corridor" in the short term
to help keep wild salmon in the Broughton Archipelago area from harm."

So they are being shut down because of their negative and harmful impacts on wild salmon - good! BUT what about all the other areas that have net pen fish farms? Don't the wild salmon in these other areas need to be protected from fish farm harm?

"Premier John Horgan said the "orderly transition," beginning in 2019, will ensure economic certainty for the industry while working to protect the health of wild salmon in the archipelago — a key migratory route for wild salmon off northeastern Vancouver Island."

"Our governments have come together to help revitalize and protect wild salmon, and provide greater economic certainty for communities and local workers," Horgan said in a statement."

The agreement also calls for the establishment of a "farm-free migration corridor" in the short term
to help keep wild salmon in the Broughton Archipelago area from harm."

They are being shut down because First Nations don't want them on their traditional territory. This is part of reconciliation and giving first nations control over what happens in their traditional territory.

We have talked about this being most likely the prime area for fish farms to be removed for a number of reason, Fish farm density , Smolts go missing their (PSF confirmed) and most importantly 3 First Nations do no want them in their traditional territory.

"This approach includes: a study on the alternative technologies for aquaculture, including land and sea-based closed containment technology, moving towards an area-based approach to aquaculture management, placing greater emphasis on the precautionary principle and creating a single comprehensive set of regulations, the General Aquaculture Regulations."

I sense some engineering work for our island. Yee haw. Great opportunity if they are serious about land farms.

I know fish farms have been a no go topic, But I beleive local news and the relevance of this to all is worth a discussion. This area we have discussed in the past as the most probable area to remove fish farms and it looks like that is what will take place.

Delete or remove it if its still a no go topic?

https://www.timescolonist.com/news/...chipelago-to-be-phased-out-by-2023-1.23537659

The moratorium on FF threads has been lifted as of this morning and a thread has been posted in the General Forum about it. The important piece of it is below and needs to be adhered to.

As some of you are aware, we placed a moratorium on fish farm threads in our Conservation Forum due to ongoing issues with posts that became argumentative, personal and generally did not meet our expectations of decorum on the forum. After a cooling off period, we have decided to re-open the topic for discussion but it comes with a warning that there will be zero tolerance for the same behaviour that lead us to the time out and banning will happen with a 'zero' strike policy.

And here is the kicker.....

The decision was agreed upon and is being supported by both Cermaq and Marine Harvest.

“We approached these discussions seeking solutions that would both address the concerns of the First Nations and maintain our commitment to the well-being of our employees, support businesses and stakeholders," said Diane Morrison, managing director of Marine Harvest."Going forward, we see the implementation of the recommendations as a positive step toward building mutual goodwill, trust, and respect as we work to earn First Nations consent of our operations in their Territories.”

NO IMMEDIATE CHANGES TO EMPLOYMENT FROM NEW FISH FARM PLANS: MARINE HARVEST

https://www.mycampbellrivernow.com/...ment-from-new-fish-farm-plans-marine-harvest/

“To meet the planed transition and maintain the company’s annual harvest volume over time, Marine Harvest Canada will need to apply for, and have approved, a number of license and tenure amendments to shift production from sites that will be decommissioned to other sites,” read their statement.

“Marine Harvest Canada also intends to seek out new salmon farming sites where there is First Nations interest and consent.”

When one supports shutting down of an industry under controversial science in the name of the precautionary principle this action empowers the same action to other industries ie, whale watching, sport fishing, etc., free of concrete evidence. Carful what you wish for because you are empowering a system which picks a choses as it pleases.

No need to shut down the fish farm industry - just move it onto land where its harmful impacts can be better managed. Lots of industries have had to change the way they operate to reduce their negative environmental impacts. The net pen fish farm industry should be no different.

Well I don't think we are going to agree on the feasibility of land based salmon farms. Like everyone else I prefer my beef, chicken and pork to be free range and I feel the same about open pen salmon. But we have been over this ALOT so Im willing to leave it at that so we don't get into the usual circle jerk of repeated topics.
Anyway I suspect that the industry is not going to lose a single gram in production in the years to come over this.

Hopefully orcas come back to echo bay and Elmo can retire with her life’s mission complete.

I’m certainly looking forward to the record return of pinks to the area we have been promissed

Hopefully orcas come back to echo bay and Elmo can retire with her life’s mission complete.

I’m certainly looking forward to the record return of pinks to the area we have been promissed

You being sarcastic? Didn't the huge pink returns happen after morton declared the eminent extinction of pinks in the Broughton area some time ago?

You being sarcastic? Didn't the huge pink returns happen after morton declared the eminent extinction of pinks in the Broughton area some time ago?

She did but she said it’s beacuse they started treating the sea lice as a response to her paper.

Since then the run has collapsed again and she again Blamed it on PRV, sea lice fish farms ect..

December 14, 2018

Regarding: Recommendations for Finfish Aquaculture in the Broughton Archipelago

“On behalf of the Pacific Salmon Foundation (PSF), I commend the Province of British Columbia and three First Nations’, in consultation with industry representatives, for the consensus recommendations 'Collaborative Solutions for Finfish Aquaculture in the Broughton Area.'

Clearly, extensive time, thought and energy went into these detailed consensus recommendations. It is very encouraging to see progress being made in this region, particularly given the long-standing and well documented concerns around sea-lice and risks of disease between open-net pen aquaculture and wild Pacific salmon. It is clear that an incremental, phased approach will unfold, and this is prudent given the many stakeholders and interests that must be respected. I was particularly pleased to see that the findings of the Minister of Agriculture’s Advisory Council on Finfish Aquaculture were a source of guidance for the consensus recommendations, as that was a highly consultative process that integrated many scientific, economic, environmental and cultural viewpoints on this issue. Respect for First Nations’ in the region, collaboration between all parties, and inclusion of an independent monitoring program are notable achievements!

Coupled with this announcement, PSF was also very pleased to see the announcement earlier this week by federal fisheries minister Jonathan Wilkinson announcing new steps in response to concerns that PSF and others have raised about potential impacts to wild salmon from farms located on wild salmon migration routes. We applaud the federal government's announcement of a new British Columbia Salmon Fisheries Innovation Fund and related plans to study alternative technologies for aquaculture, including land and sea-based closed containment technology.

PSF recommended earlier this year that British Columbia and Canada must put wild Pacific salmon first by moving to closed-containment salmon aquaculture. We took this position based on the results of our own research to date and the reduced abundance of most wild Pacific salmon. During the transition in this Broughton Agreement, everything possible should be done to improve the assessment of the risks to wild Pacific salmon, including through the work of the PSF Strategic Salmon Health Initiative that is being done in partnership with PSF, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada, and Genome BC.”

https://www.psf.ca/news-media/statement-dr-brian-riddell-president-and-ceo-psf

Back