fish farm siting criteria & politics

Cuttle,

I do not know what motivated Dr. Jones to attend the meeting, and it doesn't really matter. As in any hearing, counsels can call on expert witnesses, and this happened here on both sides. CAAR and the GSA certainly had their experts in attendance as well.

The "study" you post is nothing more than one man's opinion based on a literature search. He did not do any in field "research" other than reading various papers and giving his spin. Sorry, but it is only one man's opinion. There was a similar study done on behalf of the PSF, I forget by whom, but this is similar to that one which was dismissed on this forum as one man's opinion. That study BTW stated that there could be no conclusion drawn regarding the impact of fish farms and lice levels, and that more in field research was necessary.

In addition if you read most of Morton's papers they reach the same conclusion. That no direct causal link can be demonstrated. Funny how this never makes the press.

Sockeyefry,
Your last post is perplexing to me.
Dr. Brian Harvey (the name you could not recall) did a literature review for the PSF and it was thoroughly critiqued on this forum by Agentaqua http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8847&whichpage=7 and others http://www.watershed-watch.org/WWSS-Critique-PSFreport.pdf in print elsewhere.
You therefore dismiss a new peer reviewed literature review published in a prestigious scientific journal with the off-hand comment that it is only one man's opinion and you offer no critical analysis. The only reason you give for your dismissal is because Dr. Harvey's opinion (which was not peer reviewed BTW) was discussed and critiqued earlier.
Is that the best you can do?

quote:Originally posted by cuttlefish

Sockeyefry,
Your last post is perplexing to me.
Dr. Brian Harvey (the name you could not recall) did a literature review for the PSF and it was thoroughly critiqued on this forum by Agentaqua http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8847&whichpage=7 and others http://www.watershed-watch.org/WWSS-Critique-PSFreport.pdf in print elsewhere.
You therefore dismiss a new peer reviewed literature review published in a prestigious scientific journal with the off-hand comment that it is only one man's opinion and you offer no critical analysis. The only reason you give for your dismissal is because Dr. Harvey's opinion (which was not peer reviewed BTW) was discussed and critiqued earlier.
Is that the best you can do?

Cuttlefish, You absolutely rock.

I was waiting for someone else to notice and comment on the obvious contradictions in sockeye's response and logic. I get tired of repeating myself.

The (non-peer reviewed) critique (that you posted above) of the (non-peer reviewed) summary and bibliography by Brian Harvey makes many valid points.

One valid point is: "The scientific process is rarely about cause and effect relationships. As true for our evolving understanding of climate change, scientific views are reached/refined mainly by the weight of evidence approach."

The reason I am bring this point-up is that this is one of the key excuses pro-industry people bring up to defend their industry vis-a-vis its' potential impacts to adjacent wild stocks.

They often claim that the evidence is "circumstantial", and try to trivialize the weight of the evidence accumulated over the years as to the long-term population-level effects the open net-cage technology has on wild salmon stocks.

Yet, our whole judicial system (under which we all operate, including fish farmers) works under these guiding principles - as does science, in general.

We build on past knowledge and experiences. The experience of all the rest of the world strongly suggests that there are serious long-term impacts from open net-cage industry no matter where it operates.

Somehow this simple and obvious fact is either overlooked and trivialized by pro-industry proponents, while they buy-in to the same science that has developed that allows them to utilize today's technology and today's legal system.

The peer-reviewed paper in the Royal Society (one of the World's best science journals) is an example of the best science available today.

In it Costello agrees that (p.6): "The evidence that salmon farms are the most significant source of the epizootics of sea lice on juvenile wild salmonids in Europe and North America is now convincing".

Yet, as you pointed-out - sockeyefry (in the state of denial typical to most pro-industry types) attempts to discount this paper by simplyly stating: "The "study" you post is nothing more than one man's opinion based on a literature search. ", as if sockeyfry's individual opinion somehow negates the thorough work of over 100 other peer-reviewed studies quoted in this paper, along with the well over 200 authors of these papers (both pro and anti- views, most with PhDs).

The other interesting thing about the author of this latest report is that he is NOT a cappuccino-slurping, rabid DSF card-carrying anti (as the industry would have us believe what the composition of the ant-open net-cage ctitics is.)

He is a well-respected industry scientist - even if that mattered.

Nero fiddled while Rome burned, or so we are told. I'm tired of listening to that screech.

Ok....just found this thread and I want to jump in here.

A few points to make...

1) I agree that some of the "hirings" / appointments to DFO and other governmental agencies are definetly suspect. (i.e....Richard Wex...isn't referred to as Dr. Dick for his winning personality and his sound decision making)

2) The individuals that are doing the CEAA screenings are not these same people and most have a definite basis in fish biology and are conservation minded but given the lack of convincing science on both sides and some of the pathetic science is sad at best and they are left to make the best decisions given the information they have been provided with.

3) The fish farms are one of the most minor impacts on wild salmon when compared to: habitat destruction (i.e. fraser gravel extraction, destruction of wetlands and intermittent drainages) happening throughout BC.

4) More sea lice on sculpins, etc throughout the coast that have more of an impact than the sea lice from farms....since they treat if necessary when sea lice levels hit 3 lice / fish and usually occurs before the sea lice are mature.

5) Fish farmers have a lot of other impacts that are probably much more impact and concern to human health than sea lice and their impacts. The fact that they tend to have a 3 day holding tank for sewage and then meeting provincial guidelines are able to release the effluent directly into the water column (15 m below the surface)...so the effluent with potential diseases such as herpes, hepatitis, HIV, etc flows through the water column that the fish then ingest portions and you know the fish eat lots of it if you know how fish behave and feed. This has more of a chance to affect humans than mad cow disease that has to go through 2 different species to make it to humans than just one species back into humans.

6) As a biologist I wouldn't trust Morton and her science at all. I don't think I would trust them to look after my dog given some of their scientific methods and conclusions....very shaky. Beamish, etc. aren't allowed just to fire back on all irrelevant science because the gov't doesn't want to get into this type of pointing fingers that doesn't help anything.

7) News agencies, etc like the sensationalism of Morton, etc and it is easy to go after fish farms (and as I have said...the fish farms aren't without responsibility for some things like no by catch from their pens.....i don't think so, have heard first hand reports that there is bycatch but they don't report it) think of Clayquot and forestry in the late 80's.

The overall bad part of much of this is that the good biologists (in the federal gov't) want to stay in their biology jobs in the areas and the worst biologists that aren't qualified at all are looking to advance their careers and therefore move to Ottawa and policy jobs, etc. Then they end up setting the direction for the departments that the area biologists have to abide by...it is sad but until they learn that to direct policy, etc you do not have to be in Ottawa, this won't change. The gov't (both fed and prov) is extremely cliquey and sad to say but the worst biologists are the ones that tend to be in charge and are directing things in Ottawa. There are more DFO biologists in Ottawa working on policy, etc than there are in the Pacific Region.

Just my rant and 2 cents.

[:I]

quote:Originally posted by sharkbait

A few points to make...

2) The individuals that are doing the CEAA screenings are not these same people and most have a definite basis in fish biology and are conservation minded but given the lack of convincing science on both sides and some of the pathetic science is sad at best and they are left to make the best decisions given the information they have been provided with.[:I]
Welcome aboard, Sharkbait. It's always refreshing to have a new outlook and input on this forum and this topic.

The individuals doing the CEAA screenings directly as case workers are admittedly NOT Richard Wexes, and yes - I believe that there are many dedicated conscientious front-line CEAA people working diligently away to the best of their abilities and to the best of what the policy allows.

However, there are 2 important points not covered in your defense of the system:

1/ Fish farms go through a screening, only (the lowest level of assessment) with no scoping, and there often is political interference from above in who gets on the technical working committee that sets the term of reference for the assessment, and

2/ the "responsible authorities" in DFO that quarterback the application ARE the same group of people that are promoting fish farms while supposedly simultaneously protecting the public's wild fishery and fish habitat.

In 2004, DFO Pacific Region Sustainable Aquaculture Division underwent significant changes with the re-assignment of 14 additional staff, including BC Ministry of Agriculture, Fish and Food and industry funded biologists to focus efforts on conducting the CEAA reviews in a timely manner. Recently, Minister Shea just gave almost $1 MILLION to promote the industry.

3) The fish farms are one of the most minor impacts on wild salmon when compared to: habitat destruction (i.e. fraser gravel extraction, destruction of wetlands and intermittent drainages) happening throughout BC.[:I]
I don't think these additional farm impacts are "minor" at all. Look at Ford's study discussed earlier on this forum, and at:
http://www.math.ualberta.ca/~mkrkosek/Ford_PLoSB08.pdf

4) More sea lice on sculpins, etc throughout the coast that have more of an impact than the sea lice from farms....since they treat if necessary when sea lice levels hit 3 lice / fish and usually occurs before the sea lice are mature.[:I]
Actually the sea lice on sculpins are NOT the same lice found on wild salmon. There is something like 11-14 species of sea lice on fish in BC, only 2 species are known to infect wild salmon: Caligus elongatus and Lepeophtheirus salmonis. Caligus is more of a generalist that is less successful on salmon, while Leps is the one of major concern. AND before you bring it up, sticklebacks don;t have gravid (egg-bearing) Lep lice on them and therefore cannot be the source of lice for wild salmon.

We covered all this earlier on this thread.

5) Fish farmers have a lot of other impacts that are probably much more impact and concern to human health than sea lice and their impacts. The fact that they tend to have a 3 day holding tank for sewage and then meeting provincial guidelines are able to release the effluent directly into the water column (15 m below the surface)...so the effluent with potential diseases such as herpes, hepatitis, HIV, etc flows through the water column that the fish then ingest portions and you know the fish eat lots of it if you know how fish behave and feed. This has more of a chance to affect humans than mad cow disease that has to go through 2 different species to make it to humans than just one species back into humans.[:I]
I agree the mad cow thing was a stretch.

However, having wild Pacific salmon as not only a healthy food, but as a way of maintaining our coastal (and riverine) communities very much is a huge human impact when it's gone. Lack of healthy diet combined with alcoholism and social impacts is already a reality for many salmon-staved communities, First Nations AND white.

6) As a biologist I wouldn't trust Morton and her science at all. I don't think I would trust them to look after my dog given some of their scientific methods and conclusions....very shaky. Beamish, etc. aren't allowed just to fire back on all irrelevant science because the gov't doesn't want to get into this type of pointing fingers that doesn't help anything.[:I]
Well that's obviously a personal decision - but keep in mind that her studies made it through the peer-review process, as did a few of Dick Beamish's. As a "biologist", as you state - you should respect this fact.

AND Beamish is more than "allowed" to fire back, Sharkbait.

Beamish, and his other close DFO/PBS Nanaimo associates including Simon Jones - have often tried to refute Morton's and Krkosek's studies, and they came-up with the stickleback red-herring fiasco. See:
http://www.math.ualberta.ca/~mkrkosek/Criticisms&Responses.htm
http://www.canadiansablefish.com/news35.htm
http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...serid=10&md5=3997f750dd10126101ed14bed9af8eb3
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/editorial/story.html?id=01c89ab2-5609-4185-b9fa-84f6ef270a17
as a few examples.

So, NO you are very much wrong in this assumption.

The overall bad part of much of this is that the good biologists (in the federal gov't) want to stay in their biology jobs in the areas and the worst biologists that aren't qualified at all are looking to advance their careers and therefore move to Ottawa and policy jobs, etc. Then they end up setting the direction for the departments that the area biologists have to abide by...it is sad but until they learn that to direct policy, etc you do not have to be in Ottawa, this won't change. The gov't (both fed and prov) is extremely cliquey and sad to say but the worst biologists are the ones that tend to be in charge and are directing things in Ottawa. There are more DFO biologists in Ottawa working on policy, etc than there are in the Pacific Region.[:I]
I agree totally, here.

Sh*t floats, and the only way to get to the top in a federal bureaucracy is to be a yes man. Then you protect and advance your fiefdom by all means available, including legal

But don't forget the flotilla of lawyers held on retainer by DFO in Ottawa, either, or paid consultants like Richard Wex or Peter Pearse, etc.

A few points to make...

2) The individuals that are doing the CEAA screenings are not these same people and most have a definite basis in fish biology and are conservation minded but given the lack of convincing science on both sides and some of the pathetic science is sad at best and they are left to make the best decisions given the information they have been provided with.[:I]
Welcome aboard, Sharkbait. It's always refreshing to have a new outlook and input on this forum and this topic.

The individuals doing the CEAA screenings directly as case workers are admittedly NOT Richard Wexes, and yes - I believe that there are many dedicated conscientious front-line CEAA people working diligently away to the best of their abilities and to the best of what the policy allows.

However, there are 2 important points not covered in your defense of the system:

1/ Fish farms go through a screening, only (the lowest level of assessment) with no scoping, and there often is political interference from above in who gets on the technical working committee that sets the term of reference for the assessment, and

2/ the "responsible authorities" in DFO that quarterback the application ARE the same group of people that are promoting fish farms while supposedly simultaneously protecting the public's wild fishery and fish habitat.

In 2004, DFO Pacific Region Sustainable Aquaculture Division underwent significant changes with the re-assignment of 14 additional staff, including BC Ministry of Agriculture, Fish and Food and industry funded biologists to focus efforts on conducting the CEAA reviews in a timely manner. Recently, Minister Shea just gave almost $1 MILLION to promote the industry.

3) The fish farms are one of the most minor impacts on wild salmon when compared to: habitat destruction (i.e. fraser gravel extraction, destruction of wetlands and intermittent drainages) happening throughout BC.[:I]
I don't think these additional farm impacts are "minor" at all. Look at Ford's study discussed earlier on this forum, and at:
http://www.math.ualberta.ca/~mkrkosek/Ford_PLoSB08.pdf

4) More sea lice on sculpins, etc throughout the coast that have more of an impact than the sea lice from farms....since they treat if necessary when sea lice levels hit 3 lice / fish and usually occurs before the sea lice are mature.[:I]
Actually the sea lice on sculpins are NOT the same lice found on wild salmon. There is something like 11-14 species of sea lice on fish in BC, only 2 species are known to infect wild salmon: Caligus elongatus and Lepeophtheirus salmonis. Caligus is more of a generalist that is less successful on salmon, while Leps is the one of major concern. AND before you bring it up, sticklebacks don;t have gravid (egg-bearing) Lep lice on them and therefore cannot be the source of lice for wild salmon.

We covered all this earlier on this thread.

5) Fish farmers have a lot of other impacts that are probably much more impact and concern to human health than sea lice and their impacts. The fact that they tend to have a 3 day holding tank for sewage and then meeting provincial guidelines are able to release the effluent directly into the water column (15 m below the surface)...so the effluent with potential diseases such as herpes, hepatitis, HIV, etc flows through the water column that the fish then ingest portions and you know the fish eat lots of it if you know how fish behave and feed. This has more of a chance to affect humans than mad cow disease that has to go through 2 different species to make it to humans than just one species back into humans.[:I]
I agree the mad cow thing was a stretch.

However, having wild Pacific salmon as not only a healthy food, but as a way of maintaining our coastal (and riverine) communities very much is a huge human impact when it's gone. Lack of healthy diet combined with alcoholism and social impacts is already a reality for many salmon-staved communities, First Nations AND white.

6) As a biologist I wouldn't trust Morton and her science at all. I don't think I would trust them to look after my dog given some of their scientific methods and conclusions....very shaky. Beamish, etc. aren't allowed just to fire back on all irrelevant science because the gov't doesn't want to get into this type of pointing fingers that doesn't help anything.[:I]
Well that's obviously a personal decision - but keep in mind that her studies made it through the peer-review process, as did a few of Dick Beamish's. As a "biologist", as you state - you should respect this fact.

AND Beamish is more than "allowed" to fire back, Sharkbait.

Beamish, and his other close DFO/PBS Nanaimo associates including Simon Jones - have often tried to refute Morton's and Krkosek's studies, and they came-up with the stickleback red-herring fiasco. See:
http://www.math.ualberta.ca/~mkrkosek/Criticisms&Responses.htm
http://www.canadiansablefish.com/news35.htm
http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...serid=10&md5=3997f750dd10126101ed14bed9af8eb3
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/editorial/story.html?id=01c89ab2-5609-4185-b9fa-84f6ef270a17
as a few examples.

So, NO you are very much wrong in this assumption.

The overall bad part of much of this is that the good biologists (in the federal gov't) want to stay in their biology jobs in the areas and the worst biologists that aren't qualified at all are looking to advance their careers and therefore move to Ottawa and policy jobs, etc. Then they end up setting the direction for the departments that the area biologists have to abide by...it is sad but until they learn that to direct policy, etc you do not have to be in Ottawa, this won't change. The gov't (both fed and prov) is extremely cliquey and sad to say but the worst biologists are the ones that tend to be in charge and are directing things in Ottawa. There are more DFO biologists in Ottawa working on policy, etc than there are in the Pacific Region.[:I]
I agree totally, here.

Sh*t floats, and the only way to get to the top in a federal bureaucracy is to be a yes man. Then you protect and advance your fiefdom by all means available, including legal

But don't forget the flotilla of lawyers held on retainer by DFO in Ottawa, either, or paid consultants like Richard Wex or Peter Pearse, etc.

I think you overpriced your rant.

It's not worth two cents. :D

Take care.

I think you overpriced your rant.

It's not worth two cents. :D

Take care.

The Courier-Islander, 24th July 2009

The Edge of Catastrophe

Ray Grigg

Everyone who cares about the future of wild salmon on BC's West Coast should now have a sickening feeling in the pit of their stomachs. The recent decision of the Strathcona Regional District to zone Gunner Point for a huge open net-pen salmon farm is just another disquieting step in the fiasco that is endangering wild stocks, the linchpin of the region's entire marine ecology. So, unless an uncharacteristic epiphany stops the project or immediately converts it to closed containment, a major source of sea lice infection will be placed at the intersection of Sunderland Channel and Johnstone Strait, a major artery in the out-migration of about one-third of BC's wild salmon.

If the application by Greig Seafoods for a salmon farm at such a strategically important site did not have such serious implications, their contemptuous disregard for the damming research on the transfer of sea lice to wild juveniles would be laughable. If the continued mismanagement of fish farms by federal and provincial governments were not so tragic, the situation would be farcical.

If a hero is to be found in this dispiriting mess, it's Alexandra Morton, a biologist and researcher from the Broughton Archipelago who has been doing her utmost for 21 years to document the tragic effect of salmon farming on BC's marine ecology. Her latest effort was a fact-finding trip to the origin of the salmon farming industry in Norway where she hoped to discover if their long experience has solved any of the problems occurring here. It hasn't. Indeed, she reports, the sea lice in Norway are developing a resistance to toxins and some ecological damage seems beyond repair. "Fish farmers in Norway, Scotland, Ireland and BC," Morton concludes, "have taken 'great measures' to prevent transference of lice from net pens to wild fish for a decade and no one has succeeded. If this was possible to solve, it would have been solved."

Another ominous threat for BC's marine ecology is infectious salmon anemia (ISA). In Morton's conversation with Professor Are Nylund, head of the Fish Diseases Group at the University of Bergen, he reports that, "based on 20 years of experience, I can guarantee that if British Columbia continues to import salmon eggs from the eastern Atlantic, infectious salmon diseases, such as ISA, will arrive in Western Canada. Here in Hardangerfjord we have sacrificed our wild salmon stocks in exchange for farm salmon. With all your five species of wild salmon, BC is the last place you should have salmon farms." At least Professor Nylund appreciates that our native ecology is still relatively vital, rich, diverse and, consequently, vulnerable. If the salmon farming industry's "best practices" are not good enough in Norway, what can we expect in BC when the regulations of our Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) are not even enforced?

In a recent letter to Gail Shea, Canada's Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, Morton reveals the legal absurdity of salmon farming as it is practiced here. "It seems unrealistic," she reminds the Minister, "for you to write that the aquaculture operations are subject to the Fisheries Act when:

1. They have unlicensed packers moving fish over Canadian waters.

2. They use grow lights strictly prohibited by the Fisheries Act that are attracting wild fish into pens of 100,000 carnivorous fish.

3. There are no records on fish farm by-catch of highly valuable Pacific species such as herring, juvenile salmon, black cod, etc.

4. Fish farmers widely use a drug that is not approved for use in Canadian waters and they never post warnings that could protect the public from this toxic drug.

5. Salmon farming exists unconstitutionally in Canada...".

And if this were not enough, Morton notes that salmon farming is guilty of the "release of deleterious substances" into marine waters and of "habitat alteration". Any ordinary citizen who does either is punished firmly by the federal authorities. Disturb one tiny scale on the shiny hide of a young salmon and Fisheries' law penalizes the offender. When Morton wanted to save migrating pink salmon smolts by transporting them around the lice infections of salmon farms, she recounts officials warning her that "if I ever retain juvenile salmon without a permit again I would go to jail." Yet, she reports, "young Broughton pink salmon [were] spilling onto a road as farm fish were transferred out of a boat into a truck." Quite legitimately she asks, "What right do fish farmers have to possess wild juvenile salmon in their pens, boats and trucks?"

And even when the province regulates the "farm" component of salmon farming -- unconstitutionally, as the Supreme Court of BC has ruled -- this is done only within the boundaries of the leases, Morton claims.

Beyond the leases, where the majority of the ecological damage is done, DFO disregards infractions because, as Minister Shea has finally stated publicly, "Our responsibility is to ensure that we have a sustainable industry." In ensuring a "sustainable industry", has Minister Shea considered the critical importance of a sustainable marine ecology?

So, when the Strathcona Regional District -- this is the local government supposedly to be most familiar with the risks of salmon farming -- grants zoning for a 4,400 tonne salmon farm at Gunner Point, no wonder Morton sounds despondent and discouraged.

In an effort to explain the zoning approval, Director Jim Abram writes that, "It is a test that could advance fish farming into a new era of closed containment OR it could prove that wild and farm fish cannot co-exist." In reality, any of the hundred or more existing salmon farms could be such a "test" for closed containment. And -- if the SRD's high risk gamble to leverage the salmon farming industry toward closed containment facilities should fail -- the cost to "prove that wild and farm fish cannot co exist" will be borne by the wreckage of migrating young salmon from local waters and from sources as far away as the Fraser River, Washington and Oregon. "The concessions Greig responded with," in Morton's opinion, "are worthless trade-beads of deception as they are either impossible or irrelevant." The cause of that sinking feeling in the pit of the stomach is just BC's wild salmon coming closer to the edge of catastrophe.

http://www2.canada.com/courierislander/news/story.html?id=a63bddd3-e625-4caa-99a5-5b3b359485ac

Ray is a little behind, cause this letter and its contents was posted I believe by Little Hawk about a month ago.

There are a few errors in it as well. One of which deals with the continued importation of eggs from The eastern atlamtic and Norway. This is not occurring at all let alone continuing. The last eggs imported from Norway came in the mid 90's. All farming companies have their own brood stock, which they raise themselves from egg. There are no imports Sorry Alex.

"Fish farmers in Norway, Scotland, Ireland and BC," Morton concludes, "have taken 'great measures' to prevent transference of lice from net pens to wild fish for a decade and no one has succeeded. If this was possible to solve, it would have been solved."

Actually Morton, the latest data out of the broughton regarding sea lice counts may show that it is being solved. Sea Lice were almost none existent. This was also backed up by Morton's partner in crime: Krkosek. BTW Agent, I don't see you posting that one here?

Ray Grigg is a willing purveyor of Morton's BS. He has on numerous occasions been Morton's parrot. Too bad he doesn't check his facts before he puts out his column.

"Fish farmers widely use a drug that is not approved for use in Canadian waters and they never post warnings that could protect the public from this toxic drug." OOPS it is now approved by CFIA. A person with her pulse on the issue would have know about the iminnent approval.

"They have unlicensed packers moving fish over Canadian waters" Actually all fish transportations are done under DFO license. It is a Salmonid General Transfer License issued under Section 56 of the Fisheries Act.

"They use grow lights strictly prohibited by the Fisheries Act that are attracting wild fish into pens of 100,000 carnivorous fish."
Lights are not specifically prohibuitted by the FA, and are approved for other types of fishery activies. Fish farms are yet another approved use of lighting. If lights were prohibitted under the fisheries act then every wharf, quay, pier, street or other structure adjacent to or on the water would also be dissallowed. Littledbuit of Selective enforcment eh Morton?

"There are no records on fish farm by-catch of highly valuable Pacific species such as herring, juvenile salmon, black cod, etc." Mainly because it does not happen in large quantities, but that which does occur is recorded and reported. Have you asked DFO or the companies for the Data?

"Salmon farming exists unconstitutionally in Canada..."." Where did you dream this one up? This was in no way the result of Judge Hinkson's ruling. He ruled that the farmed fish were a fishery, and that the province had no right to administer the aquaculture industry, but Unconstitutional? C'mon Morton you can do better. And BTW the rules are being rewritten so the Province and DFO will continue as before.

"If a hero is to be found in this dispiriting mess, it's Alexandra Morton, a biologist and researcher from the Broughton Archipelago who has been doing her utmost for 21 years to document the tragic effect of salmon farming on BC's marine ecology." Boy Ray I almost got misty eyed at this literary gem. She has been doing her utmost for 21 years to convince people to send her money, nothing more.

"Morton notes that salmon farming is guilty of the "release of deleterious substances" into marine waters and of "habitat alteration". Any ordinary citizen who does either is punished firmly by the federal authorities. Disturb one tiny scale on the shiny hide of a young salmon and Fisheries' law penalizes the offender."
Only Morton notes this. The licensing agencies do not feel that there has been a release of a deleterious substance. Seems they figure that fish poo belongs in the ocean as well as sea lice. In addition in order for a charge to be laid there has to be a offense. Since no fish have been proven to be harmed, there is no offense. Someones opinion that there must be an effect is not enough for a charge. The RCMP don't arrest people if I think they are guilty. They need something more than a whim. It is difficult to prove an effect when the populations of pinks in the Broughton are at average top high levels. In additon the Fraser River Sockeye are dying off due to water temps. Difficult to prove the reduced future runs are caused by farmed lice wouldn't you say?

BTW Ray, it's spelled GRIEG. Maybe you had better proofread and check your facts next time.

Sockeyefry you said;
quote:Actually Morton, the latest data out of the broughton regarding sea lice counts may show that it is being solved. Sea Lice were almost none existent. This was also backed up by Morton's partner in crime: Krkosek. BTW Agent, I don't see you posting that one here?
While Krkosek and the researchers caution that sea lice sampling data from the Broughton this year are still considered preliminary, could this good news be the result of a repeat of the 2003 fallow plan? I pointed this out a few months and a couple of pages ago on this very thread, http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8847&whichpage=44, about halfway down the page. So yes, SF, a solution may be close. That solution is fallow fish farms. Whether this can be considered to be a long term solution is another question.
A report of the Coordinated Area Management Plan and collaborative monitoring can be found in this week's NI Gazette; http://www.bclocalnews.com/vancouver_island_north/northislandgazette/news/51937257.html

The Courier-Islander, 31st July 2009

Why do they die?
Neil Cameron, Special to Courier-Islander

Our knowledge of the Pacific salmon runs seems to be based on two numbers - what goes out and what comes back. That is understandable, given that both numbers are somewhat easy to calculate. And they are fairly consistent; of what goes out, a percentage returns, usually from one to 10 per cent; some more, some less, but basically that seems the equation.

This then leaves around about 90 per cent of the run unaccounted for. When you consider that an out-migrating/returning run of fish can run into the millions and that about 90 per cent of them die while migrating out and returning, there appears to be somewhat of a large gap in our knowledge, calculations and understanding of Pacific salmon. Where does that about 90 per cent go? Why do so many of them die? Sport and commercial fisheries account for some, but there's still a vast amount of salmon that simply don't show in fisheries equations.

In the Strait of Georgia over millennia this 'inland sea' has been the recipient of salmon from countless rivers and streams. Virtually billions upon billions of young salmon entered the waters each spring. They were joined by billions more, from Pacific Coast streams in Washington, Oregon and California. They left their natal waters and most went far afield to rich feeding grounds to the north. Yet some of them also stayed within the confines of the Georgia Basin. And a large percentage of them failed to return to their stream to spawn. They died - somehow, some way.

Given the sheer mass of their numbers it would be reasonable to say that this immense biomass put them in the top three or four of aquatic species contributing to the food chain of the Strait - or at least in the top five. And since so many of them died, we could conclude that this biomass became an intrinsic part of the food web within the Strait.

Think of the rock cod, ling cod, snapper and halibut that used to be caught regularly in the Strait of Georgia. Most of them are under severe management regimes. Why? Because their numbers dropped off to a level of concern. Was it over fishing? Perhaps. But more likely their feed sources dropped off. And why? Most anglers fish for them with baited-up and scented-up hook sets. But their real feed was not a big gulp for the most part, it was smaller gulps of more abundant feed, feed that in past years was in abundance especially during the migration of salmon runs.

Those salmon that spawned and died were accounted for. In fact their deaths have been attributed to the health and well-being of not only their natal streams, but of the plant growth and trees in the surrounding ecosystem. Their remains, rich in nitrogen, dragged by bears and racoons and even the odd deer, filtered through spawning tributaries, carried in the feces of wild birds and animals, played a key role in the rich, luxurious growth of the rain coast's forest.

The unaccounted for, 'untabulated' salmon, however, also fed other wildlife - birds, seals, whales and other fish, ling cod, rock cod, halibut etc. And they fed other salmon. Their deaths also undoubtedly contributed protein to crustaceans and lower organisms, the foundations of the food chain. They contributed these incredible energy resources to a biomass from the top of the food chain to the bottom. This massive infusion of energy into the food web was undoubtedly responsible for a large percentage of its richness. And it would be like a slow-spreading fertilizer, strong and rich at the outset in spring, summer and fall, then dissipating - but contributing to the food chain throughout the year before a new cycle of contribution came from the streams and rivers in spring.

If the salmon can be so important in its nutrient contribution to a tree, miles from its natal stream, then how important was (is) it to the health and well-being of the body of water into which it poured the greater percentage of its biomass?

Resident coho, cutthroat trout and steelhead have virtually disappeared from the west side of Georgia Strait. However, those numbers seem to be better on the coastal eastern side, where streams there haven't been as adversely impacted by logging and development as have the East Coast of Vancouver Island streams. The runs of Pacific salmon on the east coast side of Georgia Strait, while not near historic levels, are, in most part, still in much better shape than their counterparts across the way. And their runs therefore contribute more to the local food chain. And that local food chain is vital to residential salmonid life.

That is why if you want to catch a cutthroat trout or dolly varden of any meaningful size, you take a boat over to the eastern shores of Georgia Strait. The cutthroat trout is like the proverbial canary. Find a stream that produces a good run of salmonids and you will find the cutthroat. Cutthroat have virtually disappeared from East Coast Vancouver Island streams.

The conclusion? Pacific salmon numbers are down in the Strait of George because, well, Pacific salmon numbers are down. Fewer fish back on the spawning bed means fewer fish going out and running nature's and made-made gauntlets and even fewer coming back. But we must take it to the next level and understand that the specific number of fish going out or coming back to spawn may not be as important as the number of fish that disappear in between. What oceanic forests are those fish enriching?

Mother Nature is pure science. It doesn't study things, it doesn't calculate, it peer reviews itself in the most ultimate form. So why would about 90 per cent of a salmon run be destined to die before coming back to spawn? Billions of them. Well there's a reason. They are destined to die because in doing so they fulfill the purest form of science. Those salmon die for a reason. And reason would dictate that they die to provide for a food chain that they themselves rely upon. And the other fishes, birds, crustaceans and the mammals - the biomass cycle, as it were.

But this important part of the food chain in the Georgia Basin has been decimated. In Bright Waters, Bright Fish Roderick Haig-Brown estimated that by 1975 runs of Pacific salmon were about half of their historic levels. It hasn't gotten better since, in fact the numbers have dwindled to conservation concern. Which means this integral part of the food chain has been diminished to a percentile of its original input.

No wonder the blue backs are gone, or at least in search of an ecosystem that can sustain them at that ravenous stage of their life. No wonder the resident chinook are not anywhere near their historic numbers. No wonder herring numbers have plummeted. No wonder the euphasid shrimp hatches are so few and far between. No wonder, no wonder, no wonder.

We have taken out and caused to be taken out a vast and integral amount of the food chain of the Strait and we continue to do so. It's a downward spiral that will end as a pathetic remnant of what once was. Which it already is. Unless we change our thinking.

Very senior fisheries managers today take over fisheries and manage to the levels of last year's or the last cycle's returns. If they achieve that, they are happy. Yet they don't realize that they failed. Their scientists will warn them about genetic integrity, that supplemental programs will degenerate the stocks and cause irrevocable harm and extinction. Yet the reality is, if we follow these scientists and biologists, the stocks will, eventually and, as has happened already and continues to happen, be gone anyway.

Where does that leave us? It doesn't have to leave us. It should lead us to a realization that because we invested money in a run of a million fish and only two per cent came back, all was not lost. We have to learn and re-learn the value of that portion of the run that the ultimate scientist dictated had to die. We have to have confidence in knowing that about 90 per cent of the salmon run didn't go to waste - that they do have value, perhaps more so than the fish that return.

This all doesn't take into account global warming and El Nino events, but that seems more and more like a crutch we lean on in our inactive approach to salmon recovery. We can't control it, so we won't, well just use it as an excuse.

In Alaska they are recording increased numbers of salmon returns. They have a program that's called ocean ranching. It sends out billions of salmon into the rich waters there and their returns have defied what any other jurisdictions are experiencing. They have improved their salmonid returns from 39 million in the late 1970s to an estimated return of 170 million this year. In some years they have to limit the number of deliveries because the canneries are over capacity with too many fish. Detractors from the program say that turning that many hatchery-raised fish into

the wild deprives the wild stock of salmon of food, that the program starves wild stocks, that they adversely affect the food chain.

The opposite, I think, is true. The Alaskans are mimicking the ultimate scientist. They have a program that, by sheer percentages, contributes more to the food chain that it takes away. It has worked for them for roughly 30 years. The blueprint is there for the taking, yet our provincial and federal governments refuse to consider it.

In Campbell River we have the centre for Aquatic Health Sciences studying plankton blooms to better time the release of hatchery fish, specifically coho. It is hoped that timing it well will increase the survival rate of the coho - something to snack on before heading out to the wild seas. Did the ultimate scientist also do that or did the ultimate scientist design it so that whenever the salmon left their natal streams a rich and vibrant ecosystem awaited them, whenever they went out to live, or die and thereby contributing to the vital circle of life?

And how absurd is it that DFO, on one hand, acknowledges severe problems with Georgia Strait chinook and coho survival and on the other allows 500 tons of krill to be harvested out of Georgia Strait every year? How many young coho and chinook could one million pounds of krill feed? Ironically, two weeks ago the states of California, Oregon and Washington banned the harvest of krill off their shores, because they realize the importance of that part of the good chain to the survival of young slamonids and the marine ecosytem in general.

Worse than DFO's blind eye to reality, is the fact that most of the krill harvested is used to feed farmed salmon, because the krill's pigmentation turns the farmed salmon flesh to a more palatable thus more saleable pink and red color.

A large portion of salmon reared in Georgia Strait migrate to the same waters in which the Alaskan fish are enjoying such bounty. But there's a long way to go for Georgia Strait fish and their cousins from the south. It's through a marine environment devoid of even a small percentage of its historic richness. And it's at a vital time when they need the full enrichment of an ecosystem that used to provide it. When and if they reach those northern, rich environs, they are undoubtedly fewer in number and only fewer of the original run will have sufficient energy stores to garner the sufficient consumption needed to get back home. And through that perilous journey, many of them face sea lice problems associated with ocean ranching's biggest competitor - Atlantic salmon farms.

So what if somehow we could replace those local nutrients and thereby allow more salmon to stay local and supply the necessary energy boost to get them to the fishing grounds to the north?

We will never do that if we continue to solely calculate a salmon run's success by how many go out and how many come back. We have to realize we have been missing the importance of about 90 per cent of our investment, nature's investment into nature's bank. We must feed the sea so the sea can feed itself. We must replenish that part of the food chain that has been lost from our equations. We must be willing to spend money on that which we seem to assume is wasted in death.

We must remember that, in nature, the ultimate scientist, nothing is wasted and all is crucial. You cannot replace that nutrient mix with guarded estimates that take into account only the top and the bottom of a circle. Because that circle becomes smaller and a diminishing dynamic circle only gets smaller and smaller. This circle then breaks and becomes a square here, a square there, a geometrically-challenged feeding system that is as completely dysfunctional as it is bound for failure.

In Alaska the ocean ranching system contributes 35 per cent of the total salmon return. Thirty five per cent. But what is more interesting is that the wild salmon returns have increased exponentially. The ocean ranching system feeds off itself and is not only self-perpetuating but, because so many of them die somewhere, are consumed somewhere, contribute somehow to the overall abundance of the ocean, wild fish actually thrive.

In Alaska there's a vast ecosystem with virtually no borders. The Strait of Georgia, the Georgia Basin as it were, is an ecosystem in and of itself. It has borders, vital borders. It's vital to resident salmonids and those that traverse its waters on their northern migration and back home again, it is a vital feeding area that is extremely important to the existence of so many juvenile salmonids. And so important to so much ocean life that we can't begin, or have had yet made a real effort to calculate, just what level of importance.

Yet year over year, decade over decade, century over century the very food cycle of Georgia Strait has been decimated. Creeks that used to turn out thousands of salmon into the food chain, turn out less that a hundred or worse, rivers that used to turn out millions of salmon into the food chain, now turn out perhaps in the low thousands. The Strait is starving of feed because the Strait is starving of salmon.

In Alaska their ocean ranching program has alleviated that. It has been a proven method of bringing back salmon and a method that helps bring back the wild salmon. And it all comes down to the simple equation of food in, food out. They have replicated nature's contribution of the salmon body into the food chain. And they have been enormously successful in their results. For about three decades.

Even more absurd is that DFO realizes there is a serious problem with the chinook and coho stocks in the Strait of Georgia, but they don't have the money to fund studies to see what the problem is. Yet just recently, Federal Fisheries Minister Gail Shea came to Campbell River to announced $940,000 in grants for the salmon farming industry. And absolutely nothing for wild Pacific salmon.

All this as well while Pacific salmon hatcheries have faced severe funding restraints. The ministry will say they fund the Salmon Enhancement Programs on the west coast to the tune of about $24 million, but that has been the annual budget for years. Increases in wages, infrastructure costs - it goes on - means that a status quo on hatchery funding actually works out to a decrease in budget capacity.

So, on the West Coast, DFO gleefully throws money at salmon farms to raise Atlantic salmon while the wild Pacific salmon is basically left to fend for itself. The sport, commercial, First Nations and wild-life based industries on the west coast are worth over $2 billion dollars to the provincial economy. Atlantic salmon farming contributes about $750 million. Interesting math. And you don't have to have one without the other, both industries could co-exist.

In Alaska they don't have fish farms. They have ocean ranching. They have rural coastal communities that have been revitalized and sustained through their ocean ranching process. They have done it for over 30 years. The blueprints are there. The mistakes have been made and corrected. It would be a simple matter of incorporating their best practices. And Canada and British Columbia ignores it. A successful program that could be worth billions of dollars to the British Columbia economy is being ignored.

It is time we start with ocean ranching, a process that has shown benefits to wild salmon, the ocean's ecosystem, commercial, First Nations and sports fishing industries, rural coastal communities and the general economy of Alaska. The salmon industry in Alaska is one of the major economic generators in that state, behind only oil and forestry. Isn't that where we used to be? Isn't that where we want to be again?
http://www2.canada.com/courierislan....html?id=951c11e1-1bd7-4d71-b1cf-49c07d50a8d5

Hey Agent, What do you think of Canerons article?

I tyhink he was making some good points till he went off the rails by trying to bring an anti farm message into it. He should have left that bit out cause it really doesn't make sense that the farms could be so much to blame when he just spent the entire first 3/4 of the article pointing out how this was a wide spread problem that has existed for decades before salmon farms were developed.

The Alaskan experience is also not as rosy as he portrays it. There is real concern regarding the release of billions of salmon fry in addition to the wild and hatchery stock from the entire pacific coast into the common pasture up off Alaska.

It is also an inefficient system for the production of salmon for food. All those salmon that do not make it back represent resources that went into the fish that are not recovered. He deflects this by saying that the fish that do not come back have fed something else, which maybe true, but is also an assumption that their demise resulted in a positive outcome for something else. What about the ones which simply die out in the pacific and are then no available for the coastal enhancement.

The other thing thast he did not make clear is that in Alaska, they are not enhancing wild stocks, but creating fisheries oppurtunities. Most release sites are selected for proximity to fishing ports rather than ecological reasons.

The Alaskan hatchery system operates under much looser rules than the BC system. Antibiotics are used which are not allowed here, and in far greater concentrations. While they are not allowed to include the antibiotics they use in salomon food, they get around the regs by using "Fish Pills" which have no nutritional value and are therefore not considered food.

In additon given DFO's propensity for budget cutting, I would be very careful about the adoption of the Alaskan style of sea ranching as a way to pay for enhancement. Public and private partner ships in Eastern Canada has lead to the demise of nost of the salmon hatcheries, as the societies which signed up to operate them couldn't fund the operations through donations from anglers alone. The setting up of the cost recovery is problematic due to our regulations and laws. How do you determine fish ownership?

i didnt know that gail shea gave the farms 940,000. That is appalling. I assume a portion of that will go to pay sockeyefry to continue spreading crap here. i hope she was sent packing by the folks of campbell river. I found that article aqua posted very interesting. It was an excellent read, thanks.

Yah think so Rico? Oh boy maybe I'll get that new Weatherby I've been covetting.

I thought it was a pretty good read. I would caution however that the Alaskan model does have its drawbacks.

I do like how he was able to bring all the wild woes back to salmon farms even though he spent the entire article proving that it was due to factors present way before the farms.

The Globe & Mail, 13th August 2009

Millions of missing fish signal crisis on the Fraser River
- More than nine million sockeye have vanished from B.C. river. How it happened remains a mystery

Mark Hume

The Fraser River is experiencing one of the biggest salmon disasters in recent history with more than nine million sockeye vanishing.

Aboriginal fish racks are empty, commercial boats worth millions of dollars are tied to the docks and sport anglers are being told to release any sockeye they catch while fishing for still healthy runs of Chinook.

Between 10.6 million and 13 million sockeye were expected to return to the Fraser this summer. But the official count is now just 1.7 million, according to the Department of Fisheries and Oceans.

Where the nine to 11 million missing fish went remains a mystery.

“It's beyond a crisis with these latest numbers,” said Ernie Crey, fisheries adviser to the Sto:lo tribes on the Fraser. “What it means is that a lot of impoverished natives are going to be without salmon. … We have families with little or no income that were depending on these fish. … It's a catastrophe,” he said.

Mr. Crey said a joint Canada-U.S. salmon summit should be called to find solutions.
salmon_sea_lice__171741artw.jpg

The sockeye collapse is startling because until just a few weeks ago it seemed the Fraser was headed for a good return.

In 2005 nearly nine million sockeye spawned in the Fraser system, producing a record number of smolts, which in 2007, began to migrate out of the lakes where they'd reared for two years. Biologists for the DFO were buoyed by the numbers – the Chilko and Quesnel tributaries alone produced 130 million smolts – and because the young fish were bigger than any on record.

Those fish were expected to return to the Fraser this summer in large numbers, and those projections held until a few weeks ago when test fishing results began to signal a problem.

Barry Rosenberger, DFO area director for the Interior, said test nets at sea got consistently low catches, then samples in the river confirmed the worst – the sockeye just weren't there in any numbers.

There had been some hope the fish – which return in five distinct groups, or runs – might be delayed at sea, but Mr. Rosenberger dismissed that possibility.

“There are people hanging on to hope … but the reality is … all indications are that none of these runs are late,” he said.

Mr. Rosenberger said officials don't know where or why the salmon vanished – but they apparently died at some point during migration.

“We've been pondering this and I think a lot of people are focusing on the immediate period of entry into the Strait of Georgia and asking what on earth could have happened to them,” said Dr. Brian Riddell, President of the Pacific Salmon Foundation. “What we're seeing now is very, very unexpected.”

Some are pointing accusing fingers at salmon farms, as a possible suspect, because of research that showed young sockeye, known as smolts, got infested with sea lice as they swam north from the Fraser, through the Strait of Georgia.

“This has got to be one of the worst returns we've ever seen on the Fraser. … It's shocking really,” said Craig Orr, of Watershed Watch.

Dr. Riddell said sea lice infestations are a possible factor, but it is “extremely unlikely” that could account for the entire collapse.

“We have had the farms there for many years and we have not seen it related to the rates of survival on Fraser sockeye [before],” he said.

Dr. Riddell said a sockeye smolt with sea lice, however, might grow weak and become easy prey or succumb to environmental conditions it might otherwise survive.

Alexandra Morton, who several years ago correctly predicted a collapse of pink salmon runs in the Broughton Archipelago because of sea lice infestations, in March warned the same thing could happen to Fraser sockeye.

She said researchers used genetic analyses to show Fraser sockeye smolts were getting infested with sea lice in Georgia Strait.

“I looked at about 350 of this generation of Fraser sockeye when they went to sea in 2007 and they had up to 28 sea lice [each]. The sea lice were all young lice, which means they got them in the vicinity of where we were sampling, which was near the fish farms in the Discovery Islands. If they got sea lice from the farms, they were also exposed to whatever other pathogens were happening on the fish farms (viruses and bacteria), ” said Ms. Morton in an e-mail.

“There's a lot of different beliefs as to why the fish haven't shown up, but I think it's pretty clear where there are no fish farms salmon are doing well,” said Brian McKinley, a guide and owner of Silversides Fishing Adventure.

“It's pretty frustrating to watch what is happening,” he said from his boat, anchored on the river near Mission. “I remember sockeye would just boil through here in August and September. It was insane. . .now the river seems dead.”

Dan Gerak, who runs Pitt River Lodge, said there is an environmental crisis on the river.

“Definitely something's got to be done – or it's finished forever,” he said of the Fraser's famed salmon run.

Other big runs of salmon are expected to return this year - notably pinks where are projected to number 17 million - but it is too early to tell if the sockeye collapse will be repeated with other species.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...h-signal-crisis-on-the-fraser/article1249976/

Dissident Voice, 6th August 2009

Whose Ocean? Whose Wild Salmon?

Corporate-Government Chooses Profit over Wild Salmon; What Do the People Choose?
Kim Petersen

Do people hold the power? If so, then why do capitalists, corporations, and their shareholders grab ever more of the wealth that used to belong to the people? Why do the forests, resources, ocean, and the wildlife become commodified or controlled by corporations?

The British Columbia capital, Victoria,1 has only one local corporate newspaper. In the Sunday edition of the ever diminishing Times Colonist newspaper, there appeared an advertisement very much unlike the standard ad that attempts to persuade a person based on its slickness, celebrity worship, or appeal to prurient senses. The ad was a full-page letter on the back of the A section entitled in bold: “BC speak now or forever lose your fish!” It is a rationally based appeal and is replete with footnotes to peer-review science journals and annual reports.

Addressed to the people of BC, it begins, “I am no longer certain that you want wild salmon, because every level of government that you have elected seems against them.” The biologist Alexandra Morton, who has been waging a battle against the deleterious effects of salmon farming on the wild salmon population, questions why voters opt for a government unconcerned with the plight of the wild salmon. British Columbians, by dint of their voting preferences, might be viewed as oblivious to the destruction of their five native salmon stocks.

For three consecutive elections, British Columbians have voted the right-wing Liberal Party, a friend of salmon-farm corporations,2 into political power in the westernmost Canadian province. These election victories have coincided with an upsurge in corporate salmon farming and catastrophic crashes of the wild salmon population.

Morton sees no mystery in the disappearance of the wild Pacific salmon: “The science is conclusive: where salmon farms exist, wild salmon and trout are in exceptionally sharp decline.”

She holds the government responsible because it has granted gatekeeper status to the fish farms in estuaries, exposing wild salmon runs that pass by to pathogens from the farms. In particular, sea lice have been implicated in the demise of juvenile wild salmon.3

Morton emphasizes that the problem is not just sea lice, and it is not just salmon that are threatened. She points out, for instance, that the “sheer numbers of IHN virus shed from farms over 100s of km from Bella Coola to Campbell River was an unprecedented threat to herring and salmon.”

Who Profits?

So why do government allow corporations to continue farming fish along wild salmon migration routes that imperil the wild fish?4

Morton follows the money. She further asks what money there is and for who?

Citing the BC Ministry of Environment, Morton writes that fish farms brought in $365 million in landed catch value in 2007. Wild salmon brought in $1.5 billion in tourism and $288 million in sports fishing. Sport fishing is mainly owned by British Columbians while salmon farms are mainly Norwegian-owned corporations. Citing Wilderness Tourism Association figures, full-time jobs provided by fish farms were 4,000 versus the 52,000 full-time jobs that wild salmon made possible.

The figures clearly point to the far greater economic importance of wild salmon over farmed salmon.

The evidence points to politicians colluding with the flow of money into the pockets of a few foreign corporatists against the economic well-being of many Indigenous and local people.

As Morton knows well, there are other corporatists who would like wild salmon to go away. Salmon do not just stand in the way of salmon-farming corporations:

Because wild salmon require functional habitat from the tops of mountains, down through richly forested watersheds, along the coastal shelf and out to sea, politicians can’t bear the consequence of taking a stand to protect them. They would say “no” to the loggers who want to take the most valuable trees now standing in the last thriving watersheds, “no” to those who scheme to dam, divert, and sell BC’s fresh water, “no” to miners wanting to dump tailings into the rivers, and most importantly, “no” to the oilmen greedily eyeing our coast. To these politicians, farm salmon means a salmon that means no habitat. It is a good deal for them.5

Corporate Contradiction

Sometimes making money can get in the way of having one’s fun.

The ex-Norwegian, now Cypriot, tycoon John Fredriksen, an avid fisherman, reached a conclusion that contradicts his 30% ownership in Marine Harvest, the world’s largest salmon-farming corporation: “I am worried for the wild salmon’s future. Fish farming should not be allowed in fjords with salmon rivers.” 6 The world traveller Fredriksen seemed primarily concerned for his homeland’s Alta River: “Neither Iceland or Canada can measure up to Alta. Management of the river, with its exclusive and peaceful fishing spots, is special here.”7 Fredricksen also pointed to a global threat to wild salmon: “Sea lice, infectious diseases and genetic and ecological interactions of escaped farmed salmon with wild salmon are a serious threat to the future of both wild Atlantic and Pacific salmon.”8

Marine Harvest Canada’s communications director Ian Roberts — who once complained, “I believe people are starting to get a little weary of this type of Doomsday prophecy”9 — must have felt befuddled by Fredricksen’s Doomsday prophecy.

The Corporate Media, and Salmon Farming

On Friday, 31 July, actor William Shatner headlined the front page of the BC capital’s corporate newspaper with his appeal to remove the fish farms.10

Redolent with academic hubris, the TC quoted Brent Hargreaves, “a research scientist from the Department of Fisheries and Oceans who has studied sea lice for six years,” as questioning Shatner’s scientific knowledge to pronounce on wild salmon. Hargreaves also accuses Morton of “a big stretch” in attributing the demise of wild salmon to sea lice from fish farms. He claims there is no evidence that sea lice cause sockeye death.

I was surprised by this media slant. Why the focus on sockeye salmon when it was the Broughton Archipelago pink salmon collapse in 2002 that rang alarm bells, and sea lice were sited as the culprit.11 It was pink and chum salmon that Hargreaves studied with his colleague Morton.

The writer of the article, Judith Lavoie, said that the editing had distorted the story, and that Hargreaves “was far less adamant than the story indicated – saying there is no evidence [for sea lice causing sockeye salmon deaths], but qualifying it with some of the studies on chums and pinks.”12

Morton replied, “Brent simply means there has been no science to prove that sockeye juveniles can be killed by sea lice. Adult salmon can be killed by sea lice, so it is only a matter of how many. Brent knows sea lice are a serious issue for wild salmon, but he can’t rock the boat. DFO policy is to support the expansion of fish farms and anyone who has a problem with that is sidelined.”13 , 14

Morton agreed she was extrapolating in saying that sockeye smolts — which grow for a year in freshwater and enter seawater fully scaled, as opposed to pinks and chums which go to sea right after hatching and have no scales — can be killed by sea lice. However, Morton says “that does not mean sockeye infested with lice will be fine and will survive and complete their life cycle. It remains, whenever I see a generation infected with lice as they go to sea… They don’t come back in healthy numbers.”13

Morton added,

Brent’s colleague Simon Jones says a .7g pink salmon can survive with 7.5 sea lice on it. My research and the European research found young salmon can survive with about 1 louse per gram of body weight. Who knows why the difference in findings, but one thing does jump out and that is in Jones’ work all the infected fish were sedated with a chemical early on in the experiment. Perhaps this killed all the lice or made them sluggish. I don’t know, but he does not even cite my published study nor address the difference. This is not good science, particularly because his findings are such an outlier.

In the same 2 August issue as Morton’s ad, the TC makes the case that “there is little hard information to go on” about the infestation of sea lice on wild salmon.15 Vancouver Island University professor Duane Barker, “an expert in fish diseases and parasites,” is quoted as saying: “recent research data indicates higher levels of sea lice on wild salmon caught in the open ocean away from farms.”

Morton noted that there are “tens of papers myself and others from here to Norway have published on extensive research on how this occurs and the impacts”:

Duane Barker is a making a political statement of little biological significance and it is very disappointing such a person was given 400,000 to study sea lice by the government. Sea lice biology occurs in the open ocean. There has always been more lice there than in the inshore waters. When wild salmon return to spawn, all their lice die of fresh water and so the inshore waters wash clean the parasite cycle is broken between generations.

Today, however the wild salmon infect the farm fish as they pass on their inbound migration. The farms allow the lice to reproduce all winter and infect the young salmon. It is irrelevant if there are more or less lice on them than in the open ocean…they are not at all prepared for any lice and what they are getting at the fish farms is killing them. Baker is very misguided saying there is “little hard information.” …

It is not in the public’s interest for people to be confusing [the] issue, but it is in the fish farmer’s interest. This is a variation on the theme talk and log.

No one is raising alarms about the number of lice on adult fish out in the open ocean. Dr. Baker is talking about adult fish, but the concern is regarding the juveniles just as they leave the rivers and become infected. Adult salmon frequently have 10 lice or more, but the very young salmon die of one or two.16

The salmon-farm mouthpieces defy believability.17 Does the corporate media deserve any trust18 or credibility?19 The TC is a part of the Canwest Global corporation, by no means a moral media beacon.20 Just like the corporate fish farms, the corporate media’s primary motive is profit.

Whither Wild Slamon?

“Fundamentally,” fish farms are unconstitutional argues Morton “because they attempt to privatize ocean spaces and own schools of fish in the ocean.”

Morton offers many solutions. The sine qua non solution is simple, and it has been known for a long time: closed containment systems for fish farms. Writes Morton, “Feedlots belong in quarantine, because they break the natural laws that prevent disease epidemics.”

Morton is giving people a chance to make their collective voices heard. She believes people power can protect the wild salmon and is behind an online petition where people can register their vote for wild salmon. The logical choice is clear: a vote for the preservation of wild salmon is a vote for ourselves.

1. Victoria is the imperialist designation, the indigenous Songhees called it Camosack. British Columbia is also an imperialist designation, which some people trace back to Christopher Columbus. Kathy Pelta, Discovering Christopher Columbus: How History Is Invented (Lerner Publishing Group, 1991): 50. Delno C. West and August Kling, “Columbus and Columbia: A Brief Survey of the Early Creation of the Columbus Symbol in American History” Studies in Popular Culture, 1989, 12(2): 45-60. [#8617;]
2. The BC government has also offered BC wilderness — including salmon-bearing streams — for the profit of private interests. See Melissa Davis, “Deciphering the truth about the B.C. Energy Plan,” Georgia Strait, 20 April 2009. [#8617;]
3. Martin Krkošek, Mark A. Lewis, and John P. Volpe, “Transmission dynamics of parasitic sea lice from farm to wild salmon,” Proceedings of the Royal Society Biological Sciences, 7 April 2005, 272 (1564): 689-696. [#8617;]
4. See Kim Petersen, “Capitalism and an Impending Wild Salmon Apocalypse,” Dissident Voice, 22 December 2007. [#8617;]
5. Alexandra Morton, “Dying of Salmon Farming” in Stephen Hume, Alexandra Morton, Betty C. Keller, Rosella M. Leslie, Otto Langer, and Don Staniford, A Stain Upon the Sea: West Coast Salmon Farming, (Harbour Publishing, 2004): 235. This book is scathing indictment of the salmon-farming industry. See review. [#8617;]
6. ”Steng fjorden for oppdrett,” Altaposten, 19 June 2007. Jeg er bekymret for villaksens fremtid. Det burde ikke vært tillatt med oppdrett i fjorder der det finnes lakseførende elver. [#8617;]
7. ”Steng fjorden for oppdrett,” Altaposten, 19 June 2007. Verken Island eller Canada kan måle seg med Alta. Forvaltningen av elva, med eksklusivitet og ro ved fiskeplassene, er spesiell her. [#8617;]
8. Severin Carrell, “Fish billionaire in plea to save wild salmon,” Guardian, 29 September 2007. [#8617;]
9. Bjørn Erik Dahl and Agnar Berg, “Marine Harvest Canada boss attacks Science article writers [but not Frericksen],” Intrafish, 18 December 2007. [#8617;]
10. Judith Lavoie, “Shatner’s latest mission: remove fish farms,” Times Colonist, 31 July 2009. [#8617;]
11. See Kim Petersen, “The Great Auks, Wild Salmon, and Money,” Dissident Voice, 15 December 2004. [#8617;]
12. Personal communication, 4 August 2009. [#8617;]
13. Personal communication, 3 August 2009. [#8617;] [#8617;]
14. On the complicity of the DFO in the mismanagement and non-conservation of wild salmon, see Hume et al., A Stain Upon the Sea: West Coast Salmon Farming and Kim Petersen, “The Great Auks, Wild Salmon, and Money,” Dissident Voice, 15 December 2004. [#8617;]
15. “Professor wins grant to study sea lice,” Times Colonist, 2 August 2009: A6. [#8617;]
16. Personal communication, 2 August 2009. [#8617;]
17. Kim Petersen, “Farmageddon and the Spin-doctors,” Dissident Voice, 29 May 2003. [#8617;]
18. Kim Petersen, “Disinformation: A Crime Against Humanity and a Crime Against Peace,” Press Action, 17 February 2005. [#8617;]
19. Edward Herman and Noam Chomsky, Manufacturing Consent: The Political Economy of the Mass Media (New York: Pantheon, 2002). [#8617;]
20. David Beers, “Marc Edge on ‘Asper Nation,’” The Tyee, 13 November 2007. The associate professor of journalism at Sam Houston University makes the case that CanWest Global is “Canada’s Most Dangerous Media Company” because of its ownership editorials that attempt to set the political agenda and influence democracy. On Canwest’s flagship newspaper, see Kim Petersen, “The Corporate Media and Critical Thinking in Education,” Dissident Voice, 20 August 2009. [#8617;]

Kim Petersen is co-editor of Dissident Voice. He can be reached at: kim@dissidentvoice.org.

Read other articles by Kim, or visit Kim's website.

http://dissidentvoice.org/2009/08/whose-ocean-whose-wild-salmon/

Straight Talk
Stan-Proboszcz.jpg

Fisheries biologist Stan Proboszcz says the federal government should move fish farms away from routes travelled by migrating juvenile sockeye salmon.

August 13, 2009
email print comments 4 comments
Fish biologist links fish farms to disappearing Fraser River salmon
By Charlie Smith

http://www.straight.com/article-247...s-fish-farms-disappearing-fraser-river-salmon
A fish biologist with an environmental group has suggested that fish farms could be a contributing factor behind a stunning drop in the expected return of Fraser River sockeye.

Stan Proboszcz, who works for Watershed Watch Society, told the Georgia Straight there are three theories that could help explain why Fisheries and Oceans Canada has missed the mark on its forecast.

• Ocean temperature changes are affecting the food dynamics for juvenile sockeye on their way out to sea.

• Warming temperatures in the Fraser River are stressing juvenile salmon, which could have an impact on mortality.

• Salmon farms in Georgia Strait are infecting juvenile sockeye with sea lice.

“I’m sure it’s a combination of factors,” Proboszcz said.

He noted that a 2008 study by fisheries researcher Alexandra Morton demonstrated that juvenile sockeye salmon travelling near the Discovery Islands area off the east coast of Vancouver Island were infected with sea lice.

The study’s abstract noted that sample sizes were too low to support a formal statistical analysis.

“She sampled pinks; she sampled chums; and she sampled sockeye,” Proboszcz said. “This is where the discovery came about where she saw elevated levels of sea lice on sockeye.”

The peer-reviewed study appeared in the North American Journal of Fisheries Management, which is published by the American Fisheries Society.

"Watershed Watch is involved with the Raincoast Conservation Foundation and the Pacific Salmon Commission, and we’re following up on that sockeye research," he added. "We have some preliminary results that indicate the sockeye that migrate around the farms in Discovery Islands are indeed Fraser River stocks.”

Later this month, Fisheries Minister Gail Shea is heading a Fisheries and Oceans Canada delegation to an aquaculture conference, Aqua Nor 2009, in Norway. Critics say the federal government is in a conflict of interest as a promoter or aquaculture at the same time that it's regulating the industry.

Initially, the federal government expected six million to 10.6 million salmon to return to the Fraser River this year. According to Jeff Grout, regional resource manager-salmon, the government now expects between one million to 1.7 million to return.

In an interview with the Straight, Grout rejected any suggestion that fish farms could be a contributing factor behind the shockingly low returns.

“We certainly don’t have scientific evidence that suggests lice from the farms have caused the poor marine survival across all of our sockeye groups,” Grout said. “We have seen poor returns in the Skeena as well, and there aren’t any salmon farms situated along the migration routes there.”

He noted that his department forecast two million Skeena sockeye to return this year. “The accounting of the run is still going on there, but we’re expecting it to be probably just less than a million,” Grout said.

He pointed out that a couple of years ago, there were widespread poor returns across a range of species, including pink, coho, Chinook, and chum salmon.

“It appeared related to the year they went into the ocean,” Grout said. “There were very warm conditions. Plankton levels appeared to be low for the species….We may have had warmer water predators moving up into that warm water.”

Proboszcz said Fisheries and Oceans Canada can’t do much about climate change, but it should stop denying the science concerning the impact of sea lice from fish farms on juvenile wild salmon. He described it as a “worldwide epidemic”.

“The science has been published over and over again in country after country after country,” Proboszcz said. “So we really need to seriously consider the negative effects of salmon farms in this situation. Removing the farms from the outmigrating areas would be a great start. It’s the easiest thing to do.”

Calls grow for summit on collapse of Fraser sockeye run
Mark Hume

Vancouver — From Friday's Globe and Mail Thursday, Aug. 13, 2009 10:17PM EDT

Calls for a Canada-U.S. salmon summit are increasing in the wake of the near total collapse of the Fraser River sockeye run.

Ujjal Dosanjh, a Liberal MP whose riding lies near the north arm of the Fraser, said Thursday the situation is grave enough that it deserves to be the focus of an intergovernmental conference involving federal, state and provincial representatives.

The collapse of the Fraser run “is going to have an impact on the aboriginal community, the commercial fishery and potentially the ecosystem as well – and that's pretty significant,” said Mr. Dosanjh.

“Governments on both sides of the border [need] to come together to look at this situation and determine if there's anything we can do to ensure this doesn't continue.”

Mr. Dosanjh's remarks were made after the Department of Fisheries and Oceans confirmed only about 1.7 million sockeye are returning to the Fraser River this year. Until a few weeks ago DFO was predicting the run would number 10.6 million to 13 million, based on a strong spawning run in 2005, which produced a record number of juvenile salmon, known as smolts.

Test fisheries in the Pacific Ocean in recent weeks indicated the sockeye weren't coming back in expected numbers, however, and in-river tests confirmed on Tuesday that there will be a shortfall of about nine million to 11 million fish.

DFO officials are at a loss to say what happened to the salmon.

“I believe a summit is the only comprehensive solution. Salmon know no borders. I don't believe we can find a unilateral solution. It has to be found with U.S. co-operation – and the federal government needs to act,” Mr. Dosanjh said.

Grand Chief Doug Kelly, chair of the B.C. First Nations Fisheries Council, said his group will write to officials in Ottawa and Victoria “calling for them to move on this.”

He said the idea of an international summit was first proposed by Ernie Crey, a fisheries adviser for the Sto:lo First Nation, a community that lives along the Fraser and that will be hard hit because salmon are a key part of the native diet.

The summit is “a good idea,” Mr. Kelly said, adding that those attending should include federal Fisheries Minister Gail Shea, federal Environment Minister Jim Prentice, B.C. Environment Minister Barry Penner, the Washington State, Alaska and U.S. federal officials responsible for fisheries and the environment, and “non-governmental organizations that are concerned with fisheries and oceans.”

“You know what, we've made Mother Nature sick and that sickness is manifesting itself in these poor returns of salmon. It's a crisis,” he said.

Ms. Shea wasn't available for comment, but a spokesperson, Marie-Eve Higo, said in an e-mail: “The department has yet to receive a formal request regarding a joint U.S.-Canada summit to discuss the state of the sockeye salmon fishery, but remains open to discussions with stakeholders. If a letter is received by the department, we will review it and respond to the group directly.”

While the cause of the collapse isn't known, salmon farms have been blamed.

Independent salmon researcher Alexandra Morton reported this year that genetic testing showed that sockeye infested with sea lice, and collected near fish farms, had come from the Fraser River.

Mary Ellen Walling, executive director of the B.C. Salmon Farmers Association, denies any link to the salmon collapse.

“In the case of Fraser River sockeye, since the closest salmon farm is over 110 kilometres away from the Fraser River's mouth, there is no opportunity for out-migrating Fraser River salmon fry to come in contact with farmed salmon during their critical early life stages and; therefore, no chance for sea louse transmission to occur,” she said in an e-mail.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ollapse-of-fraser-sockeye-run/article1251330/

Mary Ellen Walling, the executive director of the B.C. Salmon Farmers Association, responds to this situation by stating:

“In the case of Fraser River sockeye, since the closest salmon farm is over 110 kilometres away from the Fraser River's mouth, there is no opportunity for out-migrating Fraser River salmon fry to come in contact with farmed salmon during their critical early life stages and; therefore, no chance for sea louse transmission to occur</u>,”

At least by blathering this nonsense, she is allowing us an opportunity to see how little she or her industry knows or cares about wild salmon.

Salmon have tails. Salmon swim. Salmon swim THOUSANDS of kilometers as smolts from their natal streams, past places as the Broughtons (as in the case of Fraser sockeye smolts) out to the Alaska gyre for between 1.5 years (pinks) to ~ 5 years (some chinooks) and back along the coast (which includes the Broughtons) to spawn and die.

Anyone who knows anything about salmon knows this (which apparently excludes Walling), and anyone who cares about wild salmon is concerned about this (again, excluding Walling).

Back