Fish Deformities linked to oil.

ths is not "new" news. The PAH component of oil is well known for this and cancers. In addition, exposure to oil also can cause lowering of a fishes immune system. Oil exposed herring died from VHS outbreak en mass after the Valdez incident.

That damn oil has been running into that river for the last 20,000 years.. The EXXON Valdise is child's play compared to that massive oil spill they are trying to clean up there.

That damn oil has been running into that river for the last 20,000 years.. The EXXON Valdise is child's play compared to that massive oil spill they are trying to clean up there.
That's what I hear from people who work the oil patch. The scale is unimaginable.

Suncor started as GCOS in the late 60's and has always been on the river. The plant has not been in the spotlight until in the 90's when Syncrude became a household word. Nobody knew and nobody cared. I have witnessed some disharges into the river but with no way of proving it, where it came from, or what it was. For sure back then nobody cared.
I wish that Dr Schindler would have started his research at Jasper on the Atabasca and documented his findings and what started showing up and where. Reasons for that is 3 pulp mills and acres and acres of farm land that drain into the river, plus the communities that pump their effluent into it also. It is hard to blame one cow for defecating into the river when there is a whole herd doing the same thing. For sure Suncor has a responsibility for this as the airborne pollutions from the other plants also, but I think that the other cows pooping in the river have some responsibility in this matter.
There is a community called Fort Chipewan that has been down stream from all of this for longer than the perpetrators of all this and they are now paying the consequences for all this with cancer, losses of livelyhood, way of life and nodboy seems to really care :( I know some of these people very well and find that they should not be left out of the picture as they have something to say to the rest of the country as they do not get the proper interest in their issue.
I wish the federal government would really get their asses up there and start looking into this instead of turning a blind eye towards it. They are not dieting on fish broth and gaining weight, they are dying of cancer and other chemical poisoning!
My rant about this and sometimes I feel guilty about this as I have seen more benefit from all this than they have.

Back