First Nations Buys St Jeans Cannery

Dogbreath

Of interest to many here I don't do business with them myself

First Nation takes major ownership in St. Jean’s cannery

vka-cans-585701-jpg.jpg

For the first time in more than 50 years, Nanaimo’s St. Jean’s Cannery and Smokehouse will be controlled by someone other than the St. Jean family.

NCN Cannery LP, owned by a group from Nuu-Chah-Nulth First Nation, has joined the 55-year-old business as its majority shareholder in a move the company said will strengthen seafood production on Vancouver Island.

St. Jean’s marketing manager Derek Perkins said the partnership is a win-win. “Doing a partnership with the First Nations allows us to take advantage of their fishing quota as well,” he said, noting the business was built on sport fishing and wild salmon.

Perkins said the expectation is it will be business as usual for the next five or so years, with no significant change or expansion.

One change will see president Gerard St. Jean, son of founder Armand St. Jean, step down. He will be replaced as president by general manager Steve Hughes. Perkins said Gerard, an engineer, will remain with the company to look after the mechanics of the plant.

He said while the investment from NCN Cannery wasn’t required to stay in business, it was part of an exit strategy for the St. Jean family.

For NCN Cannery, it means a closer relationship with the plant where the First Nations have been processing fish.

The cannery, which operates stores and sport fishing depots in Port Alberni, Campbell River, and Richmond, was founded in 1961 by Armand St. Jean. His sons Gerard and Paul have been running the plant and a third generation, Gerard’s son Dave, continues to work there.

they gotta do something with ALL the FOOD fish..now they can "CAN" it and SEll it.
i cant wait for a politician with BALLS to re-open the constitution and make all humans equal again.
CAN a politician and save our Salmon.

valid point hook.

i do not like the sound of ceremonial catch for sale.

but if they got a net pen going and did it right, the wild/ranching style , i wouldn't complain.

Last edited:
Interesting to read all the negative comments.

I hear FN are "drunks", "don't want to work", etc. - but when they get involved in the economy - suddenly that becomes a threat, too.

Damned if you do...damned if you do...

I think the negative comments have a lot to do with the recent changes to the regulations for us sport fisherman. The fact that the rivers are currently stuffed full of FN nets and we are fishing in slot limits etc. This isn't just about them getting involved in the economy .

I don't get it either Jimmy sends all his fish and thats most of our fish to CHINA to be processed and yet here we keep a local cannery going because the family wants to ease out and people complain because natives are involved.

I think all people could benefit from reading the decisions made in case law on fisheries/FN (Google: CanLii). It's easy to take someone's word on what they think is just or legal - but when you read the judge's comments - you can see that is what the judge is ruling on - and his decisions are justified/backed-up using past legal decisions - and fairness is the intent.

There is quite a bit of history in our country that is unknown - and many people don't understand how both our government and legal systems work. Misunderstanding breeds frustration and fear; fear breeds racism - often.

You see Trump preying on the fear - using racism to drive wedges between groups and get elected. The education system - or lack thereof - is often used strategically and systematically to keep the masses ignorant and in fear since - knowledge is power.

Unfortunately some are more comfortable in the patterns they are used to - and don't wish to take power in their lives by educating themselves. This is the electorate that Trump preys on.

As far as the current system of allocation/processing - couldn't agree more with your comments re: Pattison, terrin and ST.

Last edited:
Back