First Halibut of the year!

I'm still trying to figure out why the hell they were gaffing or harpooning at the back of the boat. Pretty easy to get a Hali to lay flat at the side of the boat and lay a stick or the harpoon with measurements on it beside the fish

Lucky he didn't take the rod down with him after the gaff gaffe. All's well that end's well though I suppose

there was nothing gentle about that gaff job. especially the way the hali twisted on the hook after the gaff job. don’t throw the hook into anything that’s questionable. that fish would suffer greatly if it had to be released.
Sorry I don't agree. The lip isn't somewhere on the halibut that causes bleeding on the fish and that was why we had wanted to do that. Yes it flipped off but the gaff didn't do any damage to the halibut. As others mentioned netting it could have been an option for us as well.

For goodness sake give the guy a break, he caught a legal fish and all he gets is grief when he posts a video of it.

Nice fish jwood99!!
Totally agree. I've been there same as him and glad none of you were back seat fishing with me. Just like haters criticizing, JT and Trump, he's out there killing it while all of us are sitting here commenting!

Great fish, love the battle. How deep were you? Did you have a cut plug herring on the end of the slip weight?

Totally agree. I've been there same as him and glad none of you were back seat fishing with me. Just like haters criticizing, JT and Trump, he's out there killing it while all of us are sitting here commenting!

Great fish, love the battle. How deep were you? Did you have a cut plug herring on the end of the slip weight?
Thank you as well! We were in about 200' of water and we had a whole herring on the hook, it took the whole thing in one hard bite! The trailing hook was deep down the halibuts throat!

For goodness sake give the guy a break, he caught a legal fish and all he gets is grief when he posts a video of it.

Nice fish jwood99!!
watch the video again. listen to the men talking. they had no idea it was legal even after they harpooned it. if your gonna post a video like that, your gonna get comments.

Right or wrong, making a public YouTube channel and posting it on a public forum opens you up to this type of commentary. As annoying as it can be at times.

watch the video again. listen to the men talking. they had no idea it was legal even after they harpooned it. if your gonna post a video like that, your gonna get comments.
Actually we felt it was legal and it was confirmed by dfo shortly after we caught it. It’s called joking around

Right or wrong, making a public YouTube channel and posting it on a public forum opens you up to this type of commentary. As annoying as it can be at times.
Yup you’re right and commenting also opens you up to the same thing.
Actually we felt it was legal and it was confirmed by dfo shortly after we caught it. It’s called joking around
If you want to continue to critique subscribe to the channel so you can keep improving our fishing skills lol 😜

Did everything go right with it? Nope what does. Hope everyone can learn from our experience and in ok with putting it out there for those to learn. If you think we don’t take the regs seriously you couldn’t be more wrong. On the boat check right after this DFO complimented me on how organized everything was on the boat and out gear. I have lots to learn still like anyone.

Look: i’m not picking on you. beauty fish. and what a nice spot. and i love you getting the little guys out there fishing too.

I personally don’t like it when people throw iron into a fish thinking they’re gonna swim away unscathed if it needs to be released. I personally find it cruel.
measure first. then give ‘em the gaff.
i’ve put tape markers on the hull of my boat so at least you know the max size

Look: i’m not picking on you. beauty fish. and what a nice spot. and i love you getting the little guys out there fishing too.

I personally don’t like it when people throw iron into a fish thinking they’re gonna swim away unscathed if it needs to be released. I personally find it cruel.
measure first. then give ‘em the gaff.
i’ve put tape markers on the hull of my boat so at least you know the max size
I've done something similar - marked my harpoon shaft with chinook and halibut legal lengths and I'm able to get pretty close with the fish in the water.

What a bunch of armchair quarterbacks. Everyone needs to get off of the forum and go fishing. Thanks for posting. I have had numerous **** ups, **** shows, and other weirdness while trying to land a fish. In fact, I'm pretty sure that the weekend professional fishing shows do too. They just edit those parts out. Good on ya for posting. Legal fish, didn't suffer, and it ended up in the boat - great job. Plus, I was entertained.

Back