First Halibut of the year!

Wow, what a circus for a little but like that. Hope you guys get better landing before you get something bigger! lol

Yeah normally it goes smoother than that but this one was border line legal and wanted to try and bring it in initially to measure it

Good to get that first one in the boat, takes the edge off for the rest of season.

Is that le Conte glacier in your profile picture? Kinda looks like it...but unsure. Either way would have been a awesome trip in the ranger.

Good to get that first one in the boat, takes the edge off for the rest of season.

Is that le Conte glacier in your profile picture? Kinda looks like it...but unsure. Either way would have been a awesome trip in the ranger.
It sure felt great!

Thats the Tracy Arm Glacier but we did stop at Le Conte as well!

Great video, TBH I've always wondered the the best way to handle one that looked close to the limit. Gaff gently in the bottom mouth like you were doing seems like a good approach. Since the max size limits were put in I've never had the problem.

Wow, what a circus for a little but like that. Hope you guys get better landing before you get something bigger! lol
I don’t know if you need glasses, but that hali is borderline oversize for the regulations (not saying it is) nice fish!

Great video, TBH I've always wondered the the best way to handle one that looked close to the limit. Gaff gently in the bottom mouth like you were doing seems like a good approach. Since the max size limits were put in I've never had the problem.
Thank you! We were concerned about it being an oversized and that was why the lip gaff at first attempt! DFO checked us shortly after this and they measured and confirmed it was legal size as well!

My 2 cents worth: bit of a turn off when the fisherman keeps looking at the camera and fiddling with it. Gives the impression that the video is more important than the fishing. Fight that fish and never mind the camera! * Again, just my opinion. *

Glad you got into some early season fish. Thanks for posting.

there was nothing gentle about that gaff job. especially the way the hali twisted on the hook after the gaff job. don’t throw the hook into anything that’s questionable. that fish would suffer greatly if it had to be released.

Back