Filling up with gas help.

Baxter

So. How do you fill a boat gas tank?

Stupid question? Maybe not?

When I gas up, I have to very slowly pump the gas in while holding the nozzle out of the filler neck. If I put the nozzle in the auto shut off does not work and I get massive blowback. The transom then has a nice coat of gas and a great smell for a few hours.

Is there a solution? Or is filling ridiculously slowly the only answer?

Last edited:
When this happens it is often because the vent line is either plugged or crimped somewhere. You will need to check the small vent line for a start. If you have access to a compressor you can blow a shot of air down the vent to see if it blows out a blockage. Make sure the filler cap is off when you do this.

My boat does this once in a while...it seems to coincide with hot weather and filling when the tank is less than half full. But yes vent being plugged will do it.

This is normal and I'm told due to the short filler hose and small vent opening. A clear vent helps but doesn't solve the problem. You'll learn in time how to listen for the signs. On my old bayliner stopping abruptly made it happen, every time. No idea why. Most small boats can only handle half throttle on the pump at most stations.

On my buddies boat, you gotta stand on one side to get a lean on the boat so the fuel flows right and doesn’t mess up the vent hose

On my boat I can pump full trigger and never have a problem...in 28 years never once. Only happens if it does when filling from Jerry cans into a funnel and then into the fill tube.

On my boat I can pump full trigger and never have a problem...in 28 years never once. Only happens if it does when filling from Jerry cans into a funnel and then into the fill tube.
Depends on the boat I guess. 740L of diesel full bore on the Commander and no issues yet. Maxum and Bayliner, disasters.

On my boat the auto shutoff isn't quick enough before it overfilled so I always keep my hand on the pump trigger. However, the sound of the gurgling gas changes as the gas tank nears fill. So when I hear the change in sound I ease up on the pump and only need to pump the last bit in at slow speed.

I have a similar problem caused by the fact that the vent hose has a flat spot slightly below the tank outlet. I have tried to figure out how to run the vent hose to eliminate this but the design simply doesn’t allow anymore elevation where the problem is. I suspect the built in tank design should have been better planned, but like the scuppers, wasn’t .
What happens is from time to time gas splashes up and sits in the vent line blocking it. This makes it impossible to fill without a large burp. I have taken to carrying a small hose that I insert in the vent hose and manually blow it out prior to filling. Seems to work, but not ideal.

If I'm fueling up on land. I give my vent line on the transom a good hard blow to clear any fuel in the bottem of the vent line loop. Works like a charm.

Every boat is different. Plugged vents are common. Try stopping every 30 seconds for air to release.

i re did the vent on my old trophy, increased the pipe diameter. changed the vent location and size. it absolutely was a dangerous pita before that.

Every boat is different. Plugged vents are common. Try stopping every 30 seconds for air to release.
Ya, I can't even get 30 seconds. If I put the nozzle in and start pumping, it starts burping and making a mess within seconds. Going to climb up in the boat this afternoon and check out the vent hose to see if that may be the issue.

My buddy just bought a new kingfisher and it was burping like crazy, so he took it back in and they had to prop the tank up higher on one end so it did'n't block the vent, no burping at all now he said...
Ya, mine is a new kingfisher also - wonder if the issue is the same...

Depends on the boat I guess. 740L of diesel full bore on the Commander and no issues yet. Maxum and Bayliner, disasters.

Poor gas lady at Poet's Cove a few years ago got soaked after the Maxum I was using burped all over her.
I run back and forth to the dash to check fuel levels, when I get just before F I do 15 second pulses until I chicken out and stop.

Our boats (KFs) have long narrow tanks, with a long hose down from the gunnel to the tank. There is no overfill/air vent so blow back is inevitable. I’ve made some messes too. What I do? If filling from the nozzle I go very slow, ensure level or even nose down on the boat. But what I do normally is use a fuel funnel and fill with Jerry cans. I can always get my fuel adds (ring free and a stabilizer) measurements correct and never get blowback with the funnel fill.

it sucks at the pump, so I just try and avoid it and keep it full with Jerry cans

Back