Fiberglass boat disposal

rapid

Hey guys,
Anybody know how to dispose of an old fiberglass boat? I bought a rental property it has an old 16' sangster on a trailer nasty condition / no power. I should start a business grinding these things up for fiberglass insulation! Thanks for any info.

I got rid of mine at the Vancouver landfill in Delta a few years ago...had to remove the fuel tank and motor etc and dispose of them separately ...can't recall what it cost but probably a couple hundred $ now.

Throw it away? Never!! According to this guy it's still worth 1500 bucks. http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/boa/3789526551.html :)

I find it amusing looking at these boats on the web, who in the hell is going to give this guy 1500 bucks for rotten POS boat!

In vancouver you can bring it to your local transfer station, no motor, oil or gas in it and they will recycle for you. As far as I know it only costs 15bucks to drop stuff off but a boat might be more. There must be something like that on the island.

cut it into pieces and off to the dump. I always thought if i wanted a small fish pond i would get a small boat hulll for free, glass over any holes and set it in the ground.

Who did you buy the property off? Tell them to come pick up their boat or kindly drop it off at their home or place of business.

This is the ugly side of fiberglass boats :(.

I looked into it a few years back to help my crusade with alloy. Apparently it cost's too much to recycle it into fiberglass insulation. You can make new stuff cheaper. I didn't find any other alternatives. Google earth some spots in Florida and check out the "boat yards" of dead and old hulls. Pretty bad me thinks. I know California cracked down on surfboard manufacturers quite a few years ago and made their factories install scrubber systems etc. to help offset the fumes created by making them.

I know that fiberglass boats are popular world wide due to the ability to make what ever shape you want and the cost effectiveness of making the hull. There are more alloy boats in the world than fiberglass. The Aussie's and New Zealander's have it going on big time. They make some pretty incredible hulls now a day's. The old Striker hull's that are still out there are some of the best "big" sportsfishers going in aluminum.

I have a hard time wrapping my head around how to dispose of all of these old fiberglass boats. I hope someone comes up with a good solution. Not just put them in landfills (how many aluminum boats do you see going there?).

I own a non painted aluminum boat. If need be my great grand children can take it to the scrap yard for recycled aluminum price. That is if they decide not to re-power it and keep using it and pass it down the family tree. If looked after it could happen.

It would be interesting to see what other uses or applications can be developed in recycling them.

Cheers,
John

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a company that recycles the boats properly.

They are in North Vancouver and they will come give you a quote for the recycling of your boat.

Any valuable items are salvaged and they are helping you sell them, plus they will give you the proper paperwork to prove you have disposed of it properly.

Check them out at www.RecycleMyBoat.ca

Back