Favourite Plugs

eaglemaniac

I get the feeling that this has been done before, but things have changed with the UV factor kicking in. Thanks cornfed;) I still have the utmost confidance in the old 500, 5 inch plug. What is your go to plug when you expect results? eman

quote:Originally posted by Slabby20

6" or 7" 602 has been my "go to" plug for a long time.

Depends where you're fishing. The usual plugs do well..but then again some of the plugs from yesteryear do very well.

There's some improbable looking hues which slay 'em pretty good if not better than the usual staples... like a 224. Depends on the time of year and the run of fish. 602's can be mediocre on some runs. Not sure why...not to say that 602's don't work..but they're not the end all and be all as many people would say the coast over.

Those are some of my numbers that I've had excellent success with for Springs when colours start to mean the different between "bite" or "nada".

I don't know if I dare say this, but has anybody used Silver Horde or Luhr Jensen plugs? Anybody like them or have any reason not to like them? I have one dark green spatterback silver horde but he sits on the bench and watches the tomics go to work. How come TOMIC hasn't made a spatterback? I am somewhat surprised. I say somewhat because the 500, 602, 603 knock'em dead for me. I do plan on buying into the UV hype and will buy a 530 to see if that one is worthy to run with the TRIED AND TRUE!

I don't know if I dare say this, but has anybody used Silver Horde or Luhr Jensen plugs? Anybody like them or have any reason not to like them? I have one dark green spatterback silver horde but he sits on the bench and watches the tomics go to work. How come TOMIC hasn't made a spatterback? I am somewhat surprised. I say somewhat because the 500, 602, 603 knock'em dead for me. I do plan on buying into the UV hype and will buy a 530 to see if that one is worthy to run with the TRIED AND TRUE!

whats your average troll speed for plugs? I'm not talking about out on the bank where you are covering a ton of water but in close troll speed?

whats your average troll speed for plugs? I'm not talking about out on the bank where you are covering a ton of water but in close troll speed?

quote:Originally posted by Poppa Swiss

I've slayed 'em going 2.2 MPH with a "classic" version, tied with the "standard tie" all the way back on the tow bar. I've also done very well with Tubbies going 3.0 MPH. Depends....if there's fish there and they're active, they'll take anything!

thanks FM, I've never really used them before this year and I didn't have much confidence running them at normal speeds when I hear of guys running them at 4.0 mph+ offshore.

quote:Originally posted by Poppa Swiss

thanks FM, I've never really used them before this year and I didn't have much confidence running them at normal speeds when I hear of guys running them at 4.0 mph+ offshore.

Offshore fish are different. They're extremely aggressive and not necessarily in a "hurry" in the fashion that inshore migrating fish are. The erratic action and covering area are keys.

You can do it inshore too...4.0 MPH is a bit unnecessary..but it's FUN to fish around other guys while you use plugs...and hauling out fish after fish after fish while their 'Chovies get sweet f*** all. Try it sometime! I can remember many such days...one such day on the wall at Bamfield. Right plug, Right Speed. Our boat: 6 big springs in 1 hour. The fleet of 50 boats.....a couple of Cohoes, and 1 spring.

Plugs can be highly effective...particularly with the right colour and right conditions!

I have recently picked up a 493 uv plaid from tomic. When I look at it I get a flashback.:) I'm still not up to speed on this UV thing, but if your down deep it just might help. eman

I've had good success with Tomic's spoons </u> while trolling for feeders in the winter and early spring! Especially the 212 and the 639g. Tomic is one of the few who makes spoons with an "EYE" on one side! For me, they seem to out-perform Coyote who don't have the eye... hmm? Also the Tomic "TNT" (with TWO eyes) outperform Apex or Pro-Trolls plastic "wrigglies" for me.

What do you guys think about the spoons and the TNT from Tomic?

Oppi

The 6 inch 600, 602 and 632 are the ones that I have caught most of my Springs on. I usually always fish 4 lines and my bottom line always has a plug on it. I don't use a flasher or any other attractant with a plug. I would rather catch fish on a plug than any other bait/lure. Maybe it's just coincidence or luck, but almost every trip the plug will catch the biggest fish.

Lefty,

Interesting that you always run the plug on the bottom!? What's your reason there? And what's your normal trolling depths? I'm usually doing it the other around. Plugs, Spoons or other self-activating "wriggles" on top and anything hooked to a flasher below. Maybe I should try it your way!

Oppi

It makes sense to run the plug on top because if it releases, it is going to float to the surface faster than a flasher rig. Also, I usually put my plugs 50 ft back. If you do this on the top then you're stack will NEVER get tangled unless you don't see the bottom one release and it happens to go directly into the top line with plug.

However....If you wanted to run the plug deeper, then you would put it on the bottom. It could be as simple as that.

I've always run the plugs on the top and off the middle downrigger(s). I've always heard that salmon strike from below and look up when stalking bait. Therefore my thinking has been that the flasher rig would attract the fish and if they didn't stike whatever I was pulling behind the flasher they might go for the plug which runs up and farther back, and up from the flasher. Anybody agree or disagree with that theory? Oh yea, I think you have far less tangles with the plugs on top as well.

Back