Favourite/Best Fillet Knife

For halibut:

Back in 2004 we were in Finland for 5 weeks and I tracked down numerous JMarttiini knives. 12 knives were fillet knifes. There was only one handle, I didn’t like and it was a wooden handle which I find get slippery when cutting fish, but the steel was good in them all.

Here are my favor two, the grips never slip in your hand, they stay sharp and they 7” (Martel coated) & 8-inch blades. I think these knives steel is German steel imported.

The sharp Martef coated blade moves extremely smoothly through the fish, and you get clean-cut fillets easily. The Martef coating reduces friction to almost zero while protecting the blade against corrosion.

The textured rubber handle and the finger guard ensure a firm grip of the knife even in difficult conditions.

Attachments

• fillet knives..jpg
    fillet knives..jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 123
Over the last 8 years, I’ve shared the same cutting table as Blue Wolf. I quickly noticed the knife Roy was using to fillet his springs. He made it look so easy to slide the knife down the fish body to get a perfect fillet every time. At first, I thought it was because he was a butcher but learned from him that the knife makes the difference.
With having a damaged wrist from years ago and filleting fish sometime aggravated it. I went out and purchased the same knife Roy was using, a Victorinox knife from Trotac. It is amazing and stay sharp for weeks. It’s probably the best knife I’ve purchased and with filleting over a hundred fish per year, I have never had any wrist issues again.

Attachments

• Coho Fillets.jpg
    Coho Fillets.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 339
  • salmon fillet knife.jpg
    salmon fillet knife.jpg
    333.7 KB · Views: 333
Bought a North Arm (made in BC) fillet knife several years ago after reading a thread like this. It is FANTASTIC. Well worth the money. I use a bigger knife to cut the slabs and then the north arm to remove the ribs. Beautiful fillets. Lovely lifetime knife.

What's a good and cheap small knife with spoon at the back that people like? I have the Victoronix 12" slicer 12" salmon and 8" fillet. Love them all. I'd like some cheapies just for gutting on the boat.

Thanks everyone! I've got a birthday coming and now I know what to specifically ask for. Appreciate you all taking the time to share.

What's a good and cheap small knife with spoon at the back that people like? I have the Victoronix 12" slicer 12" salmon and 8" fillet. Love them all. I'd like some cheapies just for gutting on the boat.
They go on sale for like $7 at bass pro. Good for cheapies. At that price, just Toss them if they need sharpening or are rusty

Victorinox 8 inch breaking knife. . .$36 on Amazon, and all your salmon and lings are cut; I blast through all the bones and then deal with them in the kitchen. I like it so much I bought a second one. Which was good because the first one ended up in the drink a couple weeks ago. Pretty stiff blade, need a different knife for halibut.
fb

I like the Frost knife with the spoon.

I have two of those. They are Fine Workhorses.

I have one of the initial test series fillet knives from North Arm.
It double duties as a boning knife, and I am very pleased with it.

For general use, I have both the 6" & 8" Lakefish fillet knives.
They offer a lot of bang for the buck, and stay sharp longer than I would have guessed.

I don't take the North Arm out on the troller for fear of losing it.
The others I do and they go through literally hundreds of fish each & every year.

Cheers,
Nog

12 inch Victorinox with granton that's got a LOT of miles on Hali as you can tell by the edge being in the granton and a 6 " Frost with a kidney spoon.
Ceramic steel for sharpening.

Attachments

• 20220706_154828.jpg
    20220706_154828.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
There was a thread on this a awhile ago and I bought almost every knife on the list some I love some are so so. Victorinox with some skill is a deadly tool for sure.

On a whim I bought one of thease Mustad knives and I love it. Doesn’t rust thinking about salt water, has a great case, keeps an ok edge and it’s reasonably priced. Love it so much I bought one for most of my buddies birthdays.

To cheap not to try one out or have a spare…

I have a Cutco and a Rapala electric that I use 99% of the time.
If I use the electric, I do it the first way, but I leave it attached to the tail to take off the fillet. When I use the Cutco I usually do it the second way.
I also have 2 regular rapalas. One old wood handled 5” and a rubber handled 7” that I got my son to learn to fillet with. The 5” gets used a ton in the house for all kinds of things. Used it last weekend to slice a veni roast up for making jerky. It’s a sweet little rig that can get in all the tight spots.

12 inch Victorinox with granton that's got a LOT of miles on Hali as you can tell by the edge being in the granton and a 6 " Frost with a kidney spoon.
Ceramic steel for sharpening.

Bam! mic drop rite there!
Hands down 2 best knives for cleaning fish
I wish i could find 2 sheaths for my set

Slightly out of date thread, but a good topic for the winter.

Interesting bits on sharpening as well.

My favourites are as follows:
-Kershaws (2) for bigger fish
-Frost , general purpose for fillets and just about anything
-Berkley, used for filleting fish up to about 10 lbs, very flexible blade
-Mustad, boat knife used for bleeding/gilling

Chefs Choice grinder/honer for proper sharpening
AccuSharp carbide steel for quick touch ups

Attachments

• 9FFB67B1-3366-4A7D-BC4A-2FD4D13B4B69.jpeg
    9FFB67B1-3366-4A7D-BC4A-2FD4D13B4B69.jpeg
    312.5 KB · Views: 69
Got a cordless filet knife for Christmas. Never used one before so it may be an adventure. Anyone use one regularly?

Got a cordless filet knife for Christmas. Never used one before so it may be an adventure. Anyone use one regularly?
do yourself a favour and practice on some tommycod or greenlings. they make burger out of good filets if you’re not careful. i think they’re good for rock cod.

Back