Family / Fishing boat - is there such a thing?

I can see someone who's careful doing OK on the Inside but there is no way in hell I would take one of those Outside.

Thank you all for your replies, great feedback.

I guess I can mount the downrigger on the Swim Platform with a swivel mount as mentioned by goodoutroo. I am leaning towards a 18.5 - 19' boat since we have 4 kids.

The Regal has a 99" beam and although there is a bench seat on one side of the stern, I wonder how limited this will be. I wonder if I can net fish from the swim platform, or if I would end up swimming with the fish ;)

The Four Winns has a great custom Gatorhyde Galvanized trailer that I really like, but the Regal seems to be a better boat. Neither of them really allow for easy gear mounting. I'd love to install some flush mount pole holders to do a gimbal mount DR and or Pole holder. I'm sure I will need to reinforce that well to support my Penn electric DR though, perhaps I will need to sell it and get something lighter duty.

I LOVE the idea to reinforce the bow cover with plywood, I will steal that idea and make one from Starboard!

Thanks again ALL

http://www.bostonwhaler.com/Rec/default3.asp?boatid=23

I stopped by the dealership to pick up a part for my 11 footer. I've always wanted a 17 foot Montauk, but when I saw the 19 footer parked beside the 17, you can guess which one I dream of now. 2 feet longer but more impressive is the 2 feet of more beam. Lots of options are available to make it family friendly, but some of them would get in the way of fishing, especially the stern seats.

Hi Goodoutroo, I don't think the lack of respect is because of your bowrider, I get yahoo's cutting across my fish all the time, some of them are guides that should know better.

Hello, Jeff.

DO NOT mount downriggers on the swimgrid!!! You'll never be able to work them back there!

That walk through stern on the Regal is an issue - a friend has that boat and even on a lake when you come off plane quickly water washes up into the back of the boat - I'd hate to see it in a following sea!
The FourWinns in std model allows you to mount the downriggers on the gunwale just outside the jumpseats. You can then remove the jump seats for fishing and access the d/r gear standing in the back corner of the boat. Plus that is where the netter will stand since you will head forward with the rod.
Hold off on the starboard bow bracing...I very much doubt that you will ever need it. You'd have to have a very heavy dude sitting in the bow and then stuff the bow into a wave in order to get water up on there!

Good luck.

When the water gets rough, the cuteness factor goes right overboard. Along with lunch! We love our Striper. It handles very well and is great for anchoring off and swimming. It pulls tubes and wake boards but no skiing. There just isn't one boat to do it all!

quote:Originally posted by goodoutroo

Hold off on the starboard bow bracing...I very much doubt that you will ever need it. You'd have to have a very heavy dude sitting in the bow and then stuff the bow into a wave in order to get water up on there!

with all due respect...if you are trolling on the ocean you WILL take waves over the bow...it happens to boats far larger than those bowriders. For the few bucks it costs and the short time it takes to cut the board to shape, it is well worth the security.

Try looking at some of the Campions. I think the explorer model is one that has the optional bar for water skiing plus some good fishing accessories and a nice little cuddy.

Hey Goodoutroo, Striper all the way, Striper Sniper

Thank you all for your feedback. I chose the Regal 1900 after a sea trial test of both boats on choppy water. The Regal is a bit bigger in length and beam and we could feel it on the water. It is a nice boat, with a compromise towards a family sports boat.

I tried to get water over the Regal's transom / walk through - no luck. Not that I'm complaining.

I will flush mount some rod holders in the gunnels on both sides. Although it's not perfect we are looking forward to getting back out on the Sound :) Thanks again ALL.

Now - time to find a nice GPS / Fishfinder with a small footprint (another limitation)... oh well

:)

quote:Striper all the way, Striper Sniper
Hey SS--I am semi interested in getting a new boat and there was a used 19 ft Striper for sale in my area recently. I like the look of the Stripers but I do have one concern and that is the low stern on the ones that I have seen. Are there models with higher freeboard? How do you like your boat generally?
T2

All welded aluminum. Something like a Lifetimer, SilverStreak or a Northwestern. No carpet, no seats, no wife;just a center console and a fish box. At the end of the day, just park it up hill, pull the plug and powerwash it inside and out. Maintenance free!

Hey,

I'm a Striper owner as well -- 1851. I have two young kids aged 3 and 5 and find it a perfect family boat. The cuddy is about the size of a double bed -- I am 6'3" and can lay out in comfort inside and have slept the 4 of us inside a few times. With the bimini up the boat is very comfortable in the rainy and cold weather and keeps us very warm and dry. We had a bimini extension made that covers the entire back of the boat so that it is completely enclosed.

Things I like about this boat:
- easy to launch and handle on my own
- easy to trailer and tow (loaded weight is about 4200lbs) - I tow with a Honda Pilot
- super fuel efficient with Yamaha outboard (F115)
- fairly fast yet nice cruiser (top speed 35mph with F115, cruises at 18 and still stays on plane)
- great handling in some pretty knarly seas - experienced some 6-8ft rollers in Renfrew and was very comfortable/confident.
- has a porta-potty, small sink, fresh water and alcohol stove
- super easy to clean and maintain (just jack it up and power wash)
- self bailing decks
- high gunwales (so the kids are super safe)
- tons of storage out and in (OB has a large rear fish box/bait well)

Things I would like improved:
- space behind the seats to the freeboard is tight (21ft and 23ft this is where most of the length comes into play) -- the 18.5 foot is a little small, particularly as the kids get older.
- bit of a pain getting at the potty as it is tucked under the bed in the cuddy (after the morning coffee and bran muffin it can be done very quickly [:eek:)])
- the boat is very white and does require lots of cleaning after a trip.

I purchased this boat just north of Seattle this past spring. Although I am in favour of supporting the local dealer, the price differential was about $10K after their "best offer" to take the day and pick it up in the US (no exaggeration) and with the strong Canadian dollar it would be another 10% price improvement over what I paid. The US dealers are hungry right now as their economy isn't as robust as ours and you can make a great deal. Boat is made in the US, so there are no duties -- just PST/GST. There is also an outstanding Striper's Owner Club on the web with tons of information on these boats -- it's not sponsored by the manufacturer but by some private individuals so there is no bias and I've learned a ton about the boat -- it convinced me that this boat is for me (www.seastriper.com) -- registration is free and required to see any of the postings.

Back