Family / Fishing boat - is there such a thing?

J

jeffmit

I am looking for a 19' family / fishing boat... I have looked at many boats and none of the 'fish & ski' boats I've seen are built for the northwest / Salmon fishing.

I want something with nice style, fibeglass liner, some place to mount Downriggers (this is a real challenge)... I have looked at the Striper 1851 DC, but this doesn't meet the wife's 'cuteness/coolness' factor...

We like the following boats:
Regal 1900 http://www.regalboats.com/2007/SportBoats/Bowrider/1900/Gallery
Four Winns Horizon 190 http://www.fourwinns.com/product.php?model=190

Any feedback on other brands / boats that will meet the family/wife (cuteness/style) and still allow fishing?

Where/How to mount a downrigger on a sports boat like the Regal or the Four Winns? There's not much room on the gunnels for mounting them on these newer sport boats :(

Any help apprecited! Thank you -

Jeff

Maxum and Malibu (and several others) have a 18.5 or 19' sportcuddy that's a pretty good compromise for fishing and watersports. As for downriggers...I fish out of a Sea Ray 170 ski boat...I use the Scotty right angle mounts, and they work great (you can check them out on the Scotty website). Make sure you use good backer plates when mounting.
Good luck and have fun shopping...if you find the perfect combo boat, let me know as I'll be looking next year.

Hey Jeffmitt: The fact that you want to install downriggers suggests to me you wish to do some ocean fishing. If that's the case I would consider excluding an open bowrider design. They can be very enjoyable on a lake but deadly in the ocean. You can have the best of both worlds with a closed bow design. Good luck! eman

I agree I've seen a few of those open bow boats on the ocean and they always make me cringe - just a death trap if you get a wave over that low bow.

I live in the Puget Sound area - Seattle in protected waters.

I will not be fishing in the ocean :)

I'm running a Campion 552, it water skiis the family and I have had it out in some rough weather. It is big enough to get out there and also fits in my Garage. http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=5258250&uid=2631310

I have a Campion 602 the bigger brother to the 552.
There is also a 542 outboard version.
Both the 552 and 542 were totaly redesigned last year. They now look more like the 602.
They are both great family/fishing boats. Would higly recomend them.

Hey kbuller, where did you get your fish tubs?
Nice long ones like that are hard to find.

I run a Campion 542 fold down sleeper seats and a cuddy up front. The only drawback is the cuddy is about 5'6". It is a great boat for both fishing and cruising. I mounted my downriggers with swivel bases quite easily on the rear gunnels and there was space underneath them to put in backing plates. It looks very much like KBuller's 552 just with an outboard.

Thank you for your suggestions - I am looking for a Dual Console, open bow family boat. I will fish ~ 25% / family / ski 75%

What do you use to support behind the downrigger? Aluminum / wood?

Thanks

Hey jeffmitt: Might I suggest an old white plastic cutting board. There about a 1/4 inch thick, they cut and drill easy and are strong. eman

I used the cutting board idea.
As for the bowrider ...mine's a bowrider(we do about 60% watersports 40% fishing)...I cut a piece of 5/8" plywood to fit under the bowcover for fishing in the ocean. I take waves over the bow from time to time and the extra strength of the board sheds it off well.

You would think that boat builders who make these open bow family units, would include a solid lockable bow cover that stows well when not needed. It's probably happened somewhere. But those snap down covers offer no security factor even if you are in a lake, sound etc. It just seems like a vulnerability that could be addressed to me. eman

They absolutely do not build the perfect boat... Any man needs at least 3 boats.. So take it from there.. Look around "don't take the wife" and do you're best to decide...

Hi Sir Reel, I am still using the original tubs, I have them Duct taped together because the plastic gets real brittle after awhile. If you hear or know of a place that would have a soft plastic tub, or replacements, let me know.

Kelly

Firstly, I hope that I don't offend those who write against bowriders so here goes!

When we were boat shopping and were interested in bowriders, friends told us all the same things about waves over the bow, etc. However, in 7 years with over 1400 hours of watersports and fishing it has NOT HAPPENED ONCE!!! My strategy is two-fold: #1 whenever possible go with a buddy boat, #2 pay attention to the weather forecasts and be sensible.
Choose the day wisely and you can even dash out for halibut. Our boat has crossed the Strait of Georgia several times...

Our 17' bowrider seats our family of 5 comfortably - even when fishing, tows easily, has tons of room to play a big fish with, and even goes fast enough to barefoot.

In case you think that maybe we are only watersports people think again...I would hate to try and add up the poundage of fish that this little bowrider has brought home!

I have removeable seats/bases so we can switch in minutes from captains chairs for fishing with a buddy to the sleeper seats for watersports with the family. When I take the seats out and store them in the bow there is enough floor room for 2 guys and 2 kids to sleep (and we do this several times every summer - thermarests make it deluxe). For the last 2 years when fishing with the family we have been leaving the 2 captains chairs in - the kids either sit in the bow or on easily collapsed lawn chairs (these chairs get fired into the bow as soon as a fish hits to allow more fish fighting room!)

The downriggers are on swivel bases mounted near the rear of the boat so when we need to clear gear we just bring the cannon ball up and then swing the entire rigger sternwards - presto everything is out of the way.

The outboard vs inboard argument has been dealt with elsewhere in this forum. My experience has been the o/b leaves much more room in the boat; those big rear bench seats prevent easy access to the back of the boat with the net!

Our kids are getting old enough now that wakeboarding is the thing. I am going to have to add those portable water bladders to increase the wake size!

My one huge mistake was to store the boat outdoors for the first few years. This resulted in having to replace all of the upholstery after 5 years due to UV cracking it. Now we have a swing tongue and the boat lives in the dry and warm garage!

Friends who have boats under 20' with cuddies do gain the ability to sleep aboard but have lots less room for guests. I have noted that there are many more times that the bow has people sitting in it than a cuddy is slept in!

The only negative thing that I have found with the bowrider is the lack of respect shown by other fisherfolk when we have a good fish on - too many times we have had another boat just not give us room and they have ran right over the line. I might be wrong but I suspect that bowriders just don't penetrate everyone's consciousness as a true fish boat so the other captains simply don't clue in soon enough! When I am on a bigger boat the other boats always seem to give you room to play the fish right away (kind of like watching the slow dudes in the fast lane get out of the way when my black 4X4 is in the rearview)!

I am always keeping my eye open for a boat to replace mine and the only one that meets the criteria that I have is this one
http://www.seaswirl.com/models_intro.cfm?mid=4878
The 19' i/b is okay too.
Note that the Seaswirls will allow the net to be put into play right at the stern of the boat since the aft seats will come out.

If you are in the Nanaimo area and want to view my set up just email me...

Back