Fall Mushroom Picking - how is everyone doing?

Lots of us do this every fall, so thought I'd start a thread.

Obviously no one is going to give up exact locations, but some general findings always are good to share :)
Being from Vic, I pick Chanterelles mostly in areas west of Sooke and west, west of Sooke :)

First trip was about 6 weeks ago, yes early, but spotting.
Three weeks ago found a pound or so per person. Great trip and nothing better than a tailgate lunch of fresh shrooms fried up, on toasted bread with Blue Cheese!
Found things very, very dry in that area and skipped last couple weekends, as not that much rain fell.
Going to head out again this weekend!!!

Was steady picking for me and my troop last weekend in renfrew, not huge numbers but steady action

Mid to late September in the Nakusp area for me. Chanterelles mostly. Wife’s an ace at finding pines but we leave them unless it’s a high money year and then we’ll pick enough to cover our gas. Or she will, I have no luck with them. Neither of us enjoys the taste of them so mostly they get a pass. Been stocking away the winters fire wood and there’s a ton of shaggy manes in the bush this year. Not as good as chanterelles but still pretty tasty.

Mid to late September in the Nakusp area for me. Chanterelles mostly. Wife’s an ace at finding pines but we leave them unless it’s a high money year and then we’ll pick enough to cover our gas. Or she will, I have no luck with them. Neither of us enjoys the taste of them so mostly they get a pass. Been stocking away the winters fire wood and there’s a ton of shaggy manes in the bush this year. Not as good as chanterelles but still pretty tasty.

We like to run the pines over a mandolin, slice em super thin and dehydrate. A handful of the chips work great in chili, stew, sauce, braises etc...... They don't have the same pungent strength as when fresh.

Two of us went out last week to a spot I know of near Fanny Bay and got 3/4 of a five gallon pail of chanterelles. Some nice size ones in the batch too. I'm hoping to make another trip out in a couple of days.

Good outing for chanterelles last weekend. Turns out my son's fiancé is a natural. Funny how some people just have the knack.

Anybody good at finding cauliflower mushrooms? Love them but can't find them for beans.

Good outing for chanterelles last weekend. Turns out my son's fiancé is a natural. Funny how some people just have the knack.

Anybody good at finding cauliflower mushrooms? Love them but can't find them for beans.
I find them in the Cowichan. Gotta be a dark wet place.

As u may know they tend to grow at the base of decaying and/or old coniferous trees. Usually on a medium grade slope. I've found a couple nice ones this yr on the mainland so it appears to be a good yr to try and find em.

Thanks guys. Picked 5 lbs of chanterelles yesterday in 1 1/2 hours. No cauliflowers. I think I just need to focus on them and hunt. Now , I see a chanterelle and that's all I look for. Habitat doesn't seem similar as IMO the orange guys like it a bit dryer.

Picked today past Youbou for the first time. Did well in a 2-3hr pick. Buddies found more chanterelles than I, though they always seem too :)
Found a few angle wings and a couple nice lobster mushrooms that were still good.

Interesting enough, and thanks to this thread I found a Cauliflower!!! The group I was with were pretty stoked, as they are out a couple times a week and have been doing it for 40+yrs and have yet to find one this year. As @saltydawg said 'cowichan in dark wet places' and @AB3 'base of decaying and/or old coniferous trees' sure enough found it growing out of the base of a big, big old Douglas Fir!!!

Couple more weekends hopefully this year!
Shrooms.jpg

Nice haul 007.I checked my spots close to Duncan last week and there wasn't anything at all.In fact last year was the same as it was dry here well into Oct. like this year.Seems like if we don't get a solid rain here by mid late Sept.,nothing comes up.Other years I've picked
several 5 gallon buckets where it's now void.Weird!

Reactions: 007
Nice haul 007.I checked my spots close to Duncan last week and there wasn't anything at all.In fact last year was the same as it was dry here well into Oct. like this year.Seems like if we don't get a solid rain here by mid late Sept.,nothing comes up.Other years I've picked
several 5 gallon buckets where it's now void.Weird!
@fshnfnatic completely agree - to dry! We always pick Sooke to Renfrew, even last year we did better, but after a couple trips we thought we'd see if Cowichan/Nitnat was a little wetter. Hit a few good patches, but usually I can fill a least one 5 gallon in an outing.
Going to head west of Sooke again next weekend, then maybe once more beginning of Nov, just to see.
Good luck!

Picked today past Youbou for the first time. Did well in a 2-3hr pick. Buddies found more chanterelles than I, though they always seem too :)
Found a few angle wings and a couple nice lobster mushrooms that were still good.

Interesting enough, and thanks to this thread I found a Cauliflower!!! The group I was with were pretty stoked, as they are out a couple times a week and have been doing it for 40+yrs and have yet to find one this year. As @saltydawg said 'cowichan in dark wet places' and @AB3 'base of decaying and/or old coniferous trees' sure enough found it growing out of the base of a big, big old Douglas Fir!!!

Couple more weekends hopefully this year!
View attachment 40901

Awesome! You guys did very well from the looks of things. Glad u got that elusive Cauli.
Remember where u found it as it should appear there again when conditions are right-which may be anytime from next season to a few yr from now, but they do tend to reappear in the same spot.

Remember where u found it as it should appear there again when conditions are right-which may be anytime from next season to a few yr from now, but they do tend to reappear in the same spot.

Yes, one of the guys I was with said they have been going back to the same stump for years picking a cauliflower! He said every year it appears 'somewhere' on the stump - very cool!!!

I should also clarify it was 'growing out of the base of a big, big old Douglas Fir - STUMP!!!

Yes, one of the guys I was with said they have been going back to the same stump for years picking a cauliflower! He said every year it appears 'somewhere' on the stump - very cool!!!

I should also clarify it was 'growing out of the base of a big, big old Douglas Fir - STUMP!!!
Did you cook the cauliflower??? smells awesome right?

Nicely done 007. Caulis are a great pasta substitute with a meat sauce or a clam linguine. They also freeze really well.

Nicely done 007. Caulis are a great pasta substitute with a meat sauce or a clam linguine. They also freeze really well.
@saltydawg only fried up a small bit outside on the tailgate for lunch, just to taste.
@Bows Up I found the texture to definitely be like an egg noodle pasta. I'm sure clam linguine sauce would be excellent.
Good to hear it will freeze well. How? Fry first? Or Fresh as is?
Thanks.

Back