EZ STEER EZ-60005

Charts

Anybody selling one? Such a deep price to pay for new for such simple technology so thought I might ask if someone had one "kicking" (get it?) around? Cheers!

Anybody selling one? Such a deep price to pay for new for such simple technology so thought I might ask if someone had one "kicking" (get it?) around? Cheers!
Man Your not kidding. I hunted hi and low to try to save a buck or two. Member @fix-it had some parts that might work for you.

why not just build your own with air line fittings and quick couplers? or do the panther tie bar setup? or run hiem joints with stainless hardware etc to allow for movement of the leg assemblys

have they improved on their design? the technology of ten years ago is hot garbage IMO.

i’m with KB make your own. i have a tie bar system but i know that won’t work for I/O etc.

why not just build your own with air line fittings and quick couplers? or do the panther tie bar setup? or run hiem joints with stainless hardware etc to allow for movement of the leg assemblys
I run a Wellcraft with a main that sits on the Transom and the kicker sits off set on a bracket. I have googled and googled to think of ways to do it. Any ideas or designs would be great and I have no issues building my own. My kicker sits on Starboard side as well. Let me know of ideas

have they improved on their design? the technology of ten years ago is hot garbage IMO.

i’m with KB make your own. i have a tie bar system but i know that won’t work for I/O etc.
Yeah no go with an inboard to kicker. Can make it work but have to lean way too far over the back of the boat to disconnect it when you want to lift the kicker

I run a Wellcraft with a main that sits on the Transom and the kicker sits off set on a bracket. I have googled and googled to think of ways to do it. Any ideas or designs would be great and I have no issues building my own. My kicker sits on Starboard side as well. Let me know of ideas
Might be able to do some creative bending on a piece of solid stock. My last boat had just that. Went from front of main to front of kicker. Still not ideal as you have to dick around with it if you want to lift your kicker.

Last edited:
Mine is a O/B to O/B but due to the offset it is difficult. Not a fan of having to reach over to unclip and clip when running from spot to spot

If I were you I would see if you can get the measurement of the rod that comes with the ez steer kit and then make your own bar with solid rod thats machined and threaded on either side to allow for heim joints as they will allow for the articulation that your looking for when you lift the leg and kicker together, then figure out your own mounting system to the leg and kicker but thats just me lol

If I were you I would see if you can get the measurement of the rod that comes with the ez steer kit and then make your own bar with solid rod thats machined and threaded on either side to allow for heim joints then figure out your own mounting system to the leg and kicker but thats just me lol
But can i still lift my kicker without having to unclip the solid bar?

But can i still lift my kicker without having to unclip the solid bar?
yes as the heims will and should allow for that movement thats why they use those plastic style on the ez steer. Just make sure you buy stainless ones not plastic or galvanized lol

yes as the heims will and should allow for that movement thats why they use those plastic style on the ez steer. Just make sure you buy stainless ones not plastic or galvanized lol
Any idea where to buy stainless heim joints with female ends? Now you got my DIY brain going

Any idea where to buy stainless heim joints with female ends? Now you got my DIY brain going

i bought an ez steer system and it ended up always coming apart as i tried to turn. i ended up over tightening the detente s to make it a solid bar. kinda defeats the purpose and then taking the bar off was super dangerous as i fish alone all the time.

it fell off and sunk one day and it was a blessing in disguise. never again for this guy.

If your ez steer is coming apart when you steer all the way in one direction or when you raise your kicker, you don’t have it set up right or you don’t have all the pieces or your steering connector arm is too short. With the longer connectors there is a limit cord to stop that from happening. Once you overtighten the connecting rod, you just threw away a couple hundred bucks and might as well have gone the DYI route. All the info is on the Ezsteer website on what parts you will need and how to set it up correctly

If your ez steer is coming apart when you steer all the way in one direction or when you raise your kicker, you don’t have it set up right or you don’t have all the pieces or your steering connector arm is too short. With the longer connectors there is a limit cord to stop that from happening. Once you overtighten the connecting rod, you just threw away a couple hundred bucks and might as well have gone the DYI route. All the info is on the Ezsteer website on what parts you will need and how to set it up correctly
I drove my boat to Payne’s ( before it went titters) and buddy did all the measuring and ordered it. he assured me this was correct and despite all my efforts it still came apart. i deliberately overtightened it in a last ditch attempt to salvage it as something i could still use. i absolutely hate the product. all my buds that have owned ez steer all hate it and most are in davy jones locker. some took the owners down with them...

I drove my boat to Payne’s ( before it went titters) and buddy did all the measuring and ordered it. he assured me this was correct and despite all my efforts it still came apart. i deliberately overtightened it in a last ditch attempt to salvage it as something i could still use. i absolutely hate the product. all my buds that have owned ez steer all hate it and most are in davy jones locker. some took the owners down with them...
That’s unfortunate. It sucks when something doesn’t work, especially when it’s not cheap to buy. Mine works as advertised but I was lucky and the measurements for the connector were exactly in the middle of the recommended length. 34”-38” in my case. My fishing buddy’s doesn’t though. He tried to save a few bucks and ordered too short of a steering connector and has exact problems you describe. He also ended up overtightening his. If yours came apart, they didn’t order you the limiting cord or ordered you the wrong connector. My bet is too short of connecting rod. There’s quite a price jump between sizes and maybe they thought they were doing you a favour by saving you a few $$$. Might be part of the reason they’re out of business? It’s a very simple procedure to do yourself. There’s some good videos on YouTube that will show you a correctly set up system and how it should work.

Last edited:
Back