Exploratory Weekend!

highlights

Speaking of rivers and streams, I decided to leave the salt behind for the weekend and go in search of some new water. I thought for sure that the river levels would certainly bring in some very clean fish. The potential for numbers was too much to resist so on I went.

I managed to hit 5 or 6 differant peices of water over the weekend. Covered hundreds of miles and came up with some pretty amazing results. The effort was well worth it. I got within 10' of a feeding black bear that was so goal oriented that I managed to get about 10 minutes of film footage before I moved on . I saw Elk,coho, springs, wild summer steelhead and even a fresh cougar kill that was way to fresh for my liking. ( I got out of there as I found I was actually standing in pools of fresh blood) The Turkey vultures had run off whatever made the kill , but I did not want to stick around to see what was coming back for the deer carcass.

Upon my return to the city I found that indeed the salt was on fire while I was out in search of some new flows. I have to say though that the summer saltwater fishery was a great one and I am pleasantly satisfied and have had my fill for now. So onto the rivers I go. Wow good to be back for another season. I hope we see some great water and even better runs of fish.

Good luck out there guys.

HL

I might put up a few pictures but colouring in the background is a pain. Here's one anyway of a little stream where I found hundreds of these. I must have taken 10 or so of these in under an hour.

coho-1.jpg

Wow, sounds like an amazing trip.

The salt at Reny was indeed on fire...best I've seen in about 4 years for coho but by the sounds of things you missed nothing!

after being on the chuck all summer that sounds like a fun way to go good work.

quote:Originally posted by bananas

after being on the chuck all summer that sounds like a fun way to go good work.

You and I are getting out this winter. Get ready dude. We'll make it happen!

Thats awsome! I need to get more dialed in on the freshwater side of things. Something about your ability to explore all over makes it seem rewarding.

Looks like it was pretty foggy out there [:eek:)]

Waiting on the other pics [B)]

I'll post some more pics when I get a chance to colour in the background. What a pain. I just know I'd get flamed if I posted something someone recognized.

I have to see how to get some video up. I have some footage of a coho launching itself at least 8 feet in the air. Never seen such a clean vertical. The bear footage is cool too. My son was wondering why I did not try to pet it. It looked that damn cute I must admit, but I'll stand clear thanks.

The people that do recognize the background shouldn't say anything......

If its gunna hotspot then yeah.. But if not then most people wont spend the gas to find it ;)

Ill jump on the flamers [}:)]

Bring on the **** [:p]

NICE fish! An adventure like the one you describe is a refresher as to why we do this thing we do. Good on ya and many more adventures to come!

Extinction is Forever

Yeah no kidding. It's pretty hard to avoid getting trapped into heading to old faithful for a trip where you know you will score a few fish. I rarely gamble this way anymore as my time is at a premium with having a family and all. I got some serious itch though this past weekend and I am glad I went with my gut on this one. I saw some magical new water that I have never before laid eyes on. I'm not kidding I followed this one creek for about 30 km's until I found some type of natural obstruction and holding areas. After bushwacking my way through to a sandy bank I looked the run over. Didn;t notice anything at first but then as if a ghost appeared there was a chrome doe steelhead of around 10lbs just holding mid column. She was barely visible. Almost glasslike. You steelheaders will know what I am talking about. To think that this was the first glimpse into this river and I spotted a steelhead. Man , what could be held elsewhere. I was stunned and elated at the same time.

Bear with my enthusiasm guys, but with the state of our popular rivers locally , I am more stoked than ever to have spent my weekend exploring and actually having some positive results with steelhead found. I am convinced as well that not too many anglers will have ever laid eyes on this peice of water[:p][:p][:p][:p]

Reminds me of the first steelhead I ever caught when I was just a young kid on my own in the wilderness with no camera or anyone to witness the event. Very magical.

Back