Evinrude E-tec outboards

I have run a 2005 225 hp Etec for 260 hours on a 22 Boston Whaler Revenge that is a heavy boat. This engine is all that is advertised! I got a 7 year warantee, I average around 2.5 miles to the gallon, and am cruising between 23-26 knots, topping out just over 40 knots.

The only down side I have encountered was fouling of the plugs while trolling for albacore, in what the dealer called a transition period (1600-1900 RPM's) where the engine computer tells the motor to shoot more oil than it is buring. It never failed me, and was fixed promtly by BRP.

Also if you choose to run the XD 100 oil, it isnt cheap by anymeans, nor that easy to locate, but luckily it doesnt suck it down to fast.

I have never owned a 4 stroke larger than my 9.9 honda, so I cant compare the two. When I was looking at the etec vs the 4 strokes I really liked the lower weight of the etec, and when I bought mine it was a little cheaper than the 4 strokes. Also the self winterization mode is a nice option.

I would like to try a Suzuki, Yamaha, or Honda 225 four stroke to compare because I dont think you could go wrong with any of those motors. I really like my Etec though!

Back