Evinrude E-tec outboards

R

rainbow one

Can anyone tell me about these engines, good or bad. Just curious if anyone has any bits. Their website has many good points that they bring up as far as engine servicing etc, compared to their competion. Is it all talk or is there some truth to what they are saying?
RO

E-tec, a 2-stroke that sips gas like a 4-stroke.
that's what i've heard about them. something about the gas/oil
mixture being vaporized during the injection process.
I would consider one, as the weight in comparison
to 4-strokes in much less.
only a few years history, so time will tell.

No dealers by us either so we don't see many on local boats but all the smaller coast guard boats run them.... not sure "because the government of Canada buys them" is a good endoresment, but I'd like to believe the coast guard knows what they are doing... but I'd never buy an engine I couldn't get serviced localy regardless of how good it was. Wonder if an email or trip to your local coast guard detachment would give you some feedback on how they have been working for them...

Other than 2002/03 issues with the power heads I have not been able to find a problem with them and I have spent alot of time trying to find issues with them as I am thinking about buying one. Took one for a sea trial a couple weeks ago and it sure has the 2 stroke zip.

Fuel consumption is comparable to a 4 stroke.

Hard to believe that someone could do a better job than the Japaneses but they come with a 7 year (700 hour) warrenty...

The PR video sure makes them sound good..low emmissions power and fuel comsumption...guess time will tell

i have an e-tec 90hp, i`ve had it for 2 years now ." i love it ". i have about 135 hours on it and it`s actually better on fuel then a 4 -stroke. i bought it off paul at py marine in port alberni, best price on the island. this motor has lotsa get up and go , great out of the hole and never skips a beat. and its about 100lbs lighter then a comparable 90hp 4-stroke.i watched this motor for 2 years reading and talking 2 guys about them .i`ve never regret the purchase, my boat flys. good luck get an e-tec. scottyboy

I also run an e tec 60 on a 16' hurston -great hole shot -lots of power-xclent on fuel-starts with the touch of the key every time-beats the merc that was on it hands down.love it

I bought an E-Tec in Nanaimo last year at Westwood. Now I have to take the boat to the shop to get the hull rewelded. Can you say ZOOOM! The only problem I have had was the plugs fouled from too much trolling. So I guess it still pays to use the kicker. I still highly recommend the motor.

Still waiting to hear some talk about the down side of these motors

When you buy yours some French Canadian gets richer. Is that a down side for yah?

Try thehulltruth.com
Do a search on E-tecs on there. There are basically thousands on this east coast website. I have done many myself.

Wow!, that sure is a heck of a weight savings on only a 90 hp. 100 lbs is huge! What is the price comparison like to others in it's class?
quote:Originally posted by scottyboy

i have an e-tec 90hp, i`ve had it for 2 years now ." i love it ". i have about 135 hours on it and it`s actually better on fuel then a 4 -stroke. i bought it off paul at py marine in port alberni, best price on the island. this motor has lotsa get up and go , great out of the hole and never skips a beat. and its about 100lbs lighter then a comparable 90hp 4-stroke.i watched this motor for 2 years reading and talking 2 guys about them .i`ve never regret the purchase, my boat flys. good luck get an e-tec. scottyboy

when i was shopping actually the 90hp yami 4-stroke was a bit more money. scottyboy

and it`s lighter then other 2-strokes like opti or v-tec from yami. scottyboy

Go to youtube.com and use the search for evinrude e-tec and take a look at the videos that are there for these engines. It may be a bit bias but they sure put yamaha to shame on the video. One of the vids is called hole shot and the other demonstrates a tug o' war between yami and evinrude. It's pretty neat!

RO

that site didnt really say anything as far as i read . i will read more at a later time . we are human and theres always a lemon once in awhile . scotty

Can anyone give an idea on the price for one of these (E-tech) in any HP range (90, 120, 200)?
Also, what do one of those conversion pods cost? I've got an older 17.5' Hurston I'm considering doing this to with a outboard.

I have been running a 175 E-TEC Saltwater Edition on my 2000 Lund Fisherman since last spring and I love the engine.. In my experience with the engine it is by far the most powerfull for its size. There are guys out here running 200 Honda's on lighter boats than mine and they can't touch me.. There is ohnestly nothing bad that I can say about this engine so far,, but it is still early in the game yet,, time will tell.. But everything Evinrude advertised about this motor so far is true,, low fuel consumption, low noise level, easy starting, when I fired it up this spring after it sitting for 5 months it started on the first turn just like I had ran it the day before..
This engine pushes my 20 foot boat with full fuel, 9.9 troller and 3 men, along at 50 MPH , she cruises... As mentioned I run a Jonshson 4 stroke 9.9 for trolling and back up but for a couple weeks last summer when I first got the boat and did not yet have the small engine on I did some trolling for lakers and was able to troll as slow as 1.7 knots w/ the 175 amazing for an engine that can turn around and push you 50+...
I live in A.B. and purchest my engine locally and paid $14,529.00 installed (no p.s.t.) :) so the price was rite also..
Like I said I can not say anything but good things about this engine so far,, but time will tell on its durability ????

Back