etech or four stroke 225

Thanks for all the reply guys so here's the wrinkle my daughter would scream like they were being murdered to the point of canceling trips when the old Johnson 225 started up so noise is a major consideration how do the etech compare this has all been very helpful

Thanks for all the reply guys so here's the wrinkle my daughter would scream like they were being murdered to the point of canceling trips when the old Johnson 225 started up so noise is a major consideration how do the etech compare this has all been very helpful

The etec is so quiet you hardly know it's running until you give it some gas. Have a listen to the link below...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZNDyiih1Zw

[QUO TE=jeffywestcoast;360142]they really did miss the mark on looks... FUGLY as all hell..... bet it's a great motor tho..[/QUOTE]

I also think they are ugly. But I think they are great motors and couldn't care less about their appearance.

at cruising speed and wot you can carry on a conversation with anyone in the boat no problem, that from a 2010 300hp.
BRP website on last years models claims 250 less parts the 4 stroke
the ETEC in the picture maybe alittle ug.... but there the first company to let the customer pic there own side panel colors to better match your boat
on board fuel/water separator
no need to locate a place for the 2 stroke oil as it comes with 2 gal capacity within the motor
leg oil is filled and checked for water contamination by removing a side panel and looking at the reservoir

kool-aid tastes great :)

Last edited by a moderator:
one issue not discussed is engine life. I have run two stroke DI both commercially and private and I have never been able to make one live over 1200 hours. Perhaps ETECS will be different but I think that remains to be seen. On the other hand 4 stroke suzukis and yamahas regularily live 3000 hours.

beemer

Beemer very true... Dan from Springtide Whale Watching has gotten 4400 hrs on some of his twin Yamaha 150 HP 4 strokes. He was in SG with a blown up one this week and was half joking techs that he only got 2200 on the one being replaced. However....most of the newer light weight 4 strokes are throw away engines once the clyinders get any damage as hey have no sleeves. Large 2 strokes can be rebuilt for about $3000 once they suffer similar damage.

Fugly those things like bad butt!! I really like the look of them and I bet outboard styling will take a change over the next few years...

IMO the most important thing is to purchase a brand that you can have serviced by a local shop that you trust.

one issue not discussed is engine life. I have run two stroke DI both commercially and private and I have never been able to make one live over 1200 hours. Perhaps ETECS will be different but I think that remains to be seen. On the other hand 4 stroke suzukis and yamahas regularily live 3000 hours.

beemer

I regularly get 2500 + hrs with my 135 Merc optis. Gotta run their oil though, it's way better than the cheap stuff.

look pretty bad butt....this is cool... design own color scheme

http://www.chooseyouretec.com/en-us/

The only thing that separates a motor like this is torque/power and ability to get on plane faster... If perhaps this came out at same time as four strokes I think more people would be interested...

Its hard a some of the yamahas, suzukis and others in that class are good motors also... Its hard for people to make the switch...

Evinrude has done an admirable job of getting a product that can compete with the 4 strokes. Bombardier had to make a very critical decision back in the day of the FICHT as the knew they were close to folding the division sue to the `success`of the FICHT Direct inject motors. They almost moved away from 2 strokes altogether. However, they made a very bold move and it has certainly paid off in both a quality product and customer loyalty. While I am undecided about the "new look" E-tec, it is certainly nice to see the first 500 hours without servicing. For those who are unable to service their motors themselves that is a distinct advantage. I looked up the specs for the 250 and the claim of lighter engines is no longer a claim that can be made. These new E-tecs will run 558 lbs, the Yamaha is 562 lbs. I always felt that the`weight`claim was a bit far fetched for anything less than 50 lbs. as anyone can make that up or lose it with an extra cannon ball and 6 pak :cool: I'd like to see their claims to "best fuel efficiency" compared to the fours. I would also like to see any of the manufacturers do an operating cost per hour comparison. None of them seem to want to compare operating costs.

The one thing that always get neglected in these discussions is the cost of the 2 stoke oil used. XD-100 runs about $12.00 a litre(almost 10 times the price of gas and runs at 100:1 ratio. This means that you always have to add almost 10% to your running costs. With four strokes you have to add the costs of an oil change and filter (about $100) every 100 hours. If we assume that fuel consumption is the same between 2 strokes and 4 strokes, the only real difference in operating costs is 2 stroke oil vs. oil changes. personally I believe that 2 strokes still have higher fuel consumption figures, but for the sake of this comparison we`ll assume equality in consumption.

If we compare the costs per 100 hours for both motors and assume that the 100 hours is all at cruising speed and your average consumption is 10 GPH then each motor would use 1000 gallons of fuel every 100 hours (4000 litres) of fuel and 40 litres of oil. At 12.00 a litre that is $480.00 of 2 stroke oil vs. a $100 oil change.

This is not meant as a criticism of the E-tecs. I like them, and if I was looking at 2 strokes again, it would be the one.

numbers dont add up. xd100 means 100% syn oil not 100/1. The oil never mixes with the gas, it injected into the compression chamber. So it is never constant, it varies. thats why it burns cleaner and doesnt smoke.
comparing value over oil changes doesnt add up. look at service calls ie: first service call for g1 etec is 300 hours value $1000. competitors have 20 hr/100hr and 300hr, value ?
at a 100 hrs you still have to include 20hr service and 100hr service.

Well that otta sink the competition.

In that YouTube the say that the motors are rig to manufactures spec but it doesn't say that they are using the same props. My bet is different pitch props and the lower pitch was on the company that was paying for the advertisement.

I too own a 250 etec and happy with the performance but don't be fooled by their claims of 300 hours no maintenance that is based on fresh water running I have talked to to the etec masters and they say for what we do here they should be serviced every year including leg oil and thermostats at the least But less parts means less part to break The computer is $3500 The other problem here on the lower Island their is really nobody that is truly Etec trained Etec training is yearly and none of the local dealers are willing to send their guys to school so often( their guys might want more money) so having said that I too believe that you should buy a motor based on local servicing I had a bad experience with the local dealer not knowing what they were doing and if you want your boat back you have to pay the bill whether its done right or not

Well thanks guys for all the responses and info ended up pulling the pin on a 225 Suzuki hope its the right choice so once again appreciate all your responses thank you

Back