ETEC Motors

fish brain

Crew Member
I am looking at a boat with an ETEC motor with about 1800 hrs on it. My question is, how many hours can I expect out of a motor like this before I start to have problems and consider a re-power?

I have twin etecs, and they say 5000 hrs and shouldn't have any issues. Like anything though it depends on how well it is looked after, easy hours vs hard hours.
Plug it in and you can get every minute of operation. Run at what rpm at what interval. Gives you a pile of info. Good luck..

Get it plugged in, as said above it will give or tell you everything its done and if there is a problem.
What year and hp is it?

Hi Bones, its actually two 150 hp motors. I thought I would juat ask about one as it seemed less complicated.
I am getting a readout on it tomorrow, but I dont really have much of an idea about what is or is not a high hour motor.
Thanks to you and Chuck for getting me pointed in the right direction.

Get it plugged in, as said above it will give or tell you everything its done and if there is a problem.
What year and hp is it?

What year are they? E-TEC's got a host of improvements between 2006 and 2009.

I'd opine that 1800 is quite a few hours. Not to say that they will not go another 1800 or more, but as far as "value" goes, should be discounted significantly from new value, because if you went to trade them in, I don't think you'd be offered much for them. This has tons of upside for you, as they should be somewhat cheap, but may well run for a long time to come.

I have an E-Tec on the back of my boat. A 300Hp (2013), so far it runs great and has alot of power. It will be going in for it's first service this fall. At that time I will get a print out, & see what it looks like at what running range and Hrs. So far, I love them. Had 4stroke yamaha & others before. Just my opinion only.

They are 2007 on a 1986 25 ft Grady Sailfish. the owner is asking $20,000. Comes with trailer, down riggers, GPS, and Radar, no kicker. I'm trying to figure out if it's a good buy or a walk away.
The mechanics were busy, so I didn't get the readouts. Hope to get it in for them and a compression check on Monday.

QUOTE=Marko;399976]What year are they? E-TEC's got a host of improvements between 2006 and 2009.

I'd opine that 1800 is quite a few hours. Not to say that they will not go another 1800 or more, but as far as "value" goes, should be discounted significantly from new value, because if you went to trade them in, I don't think you'd be offered much for them. This has tons of upside for you, as they should be somewhat cheap, but may well run for a long time to come.[/QUOTE]

Back