Enbridge Commercial: ala Dan Murphy style!

Little Hawk

For the last few weeks I've been sickened to death by this Enbridge TV commercial (animation) that depicts fish and bears and oil-tankers all happily coexisting in some lurid quasi-harmony...

Check out Dan Murphy's spin on it. It was pulled from the Province's website only 2-hours after it was published after Enbridge raised a big stink about it.

Thanks Rafe Mair for forwarding it to me.

http://thecanadian.org/item/1563-province-newspaper-pulled-cartoon-under-pr

Another tragic piece of Gordon Campbell's legacy...

We should all write to the Province calling them out on their moral cowardice and obsequious subservience to corporate pressure. Journalistic integrity has reached a new low with the Province. Rock bottom!!
Composing letter now....(I know it will never see the light of day, but "a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do" !!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Having worked around the business for thirty years, I cannot see how there would be no spills. It is part of the business and "collaterall damage" is inevetable.

People, use the power you have! Especially now in times of an upcoming election! Be smarter this time! Write or call your MLAs and the opposition candidates and make it clear to them that this will be a decisive election issue. Let them come out on what they support here and then nail them down. This is your ONLY REAL piece of power you have in a democracy people! If you let them make some irrelevant little life stories the election issue again then you have lost again. Learn from your mistakes people! You can dictate the agenda now and hold them accountable if you put in your little piece of work. And this includes a bit of activism as well by talking to your friends and neighbours. If you really care then this bit of work and effort should not be too much. If you let the politicians roll on their own - please, then don't complain if you get what you let happen.

love the spoof ad! unfortunately it's more accurate than the one they are currently running on TV.

Here is my letter to the Province editor guys. CCed it to Vancouver Sun as well.
It will never get printed of course but I got it off my chest and a few more people may see it on here....LOL

Dear Editor,
I was appalled and saddened to hear that you pulled the spoof advert/cartoon below from your Province newspaper Website because of pressure from Enbridge.

http://thecanadian.org/item/1563-province-newspaper-pulled-cartoon-under-pr

The Province is clearly in obsequious subservience to bullying corporate marauders and so democracy and free speech, together with journalistic integrity, are no longer part of your operating principles.

No doubt this is because you are running Enbridge adverts and are totally beholdin’ to them for the almighty dollar. I find it sickening that you will agree to be a mouthpiece for this destructive, dangerous and fundamentally economically and culturally damaging project known as the Northern Gateway pipeline. The people of BC will never allow this pipeline to be built and thousands of us will remember which side the Province was on in this fight.

But it is fitting that the complete lack of moral fibre and integrity that you have shown should put the Province on the losing side. There will be justice eventually, and your newspaper will reap what it has sown. Indeed it is already underway, as the story of your failure and fawning to this company is now on U-tube and several blog sites. Justice indeed!!

Name and address etc.

Good on you Roland but I'd have to agree with you. I probably won't get printed...

I think that the problem with the spoof was copyright infringement.

Clipper, that is what those slick oil salesmen (or oil slick salesmen as they should be called) want you to believe.

The following quote is from the full article below, which belies what Enbridge are claiming (surprise!)

"The CBC story included reaction from Langara University journalism professor Ross Howard, who dismissed Enbridge's alleged concerns under the principle of "fair comment", noting, "When you're commenting about what that corporation is doing, what it stands for, it's the same as using their own name and putting their symbol on it. That's why they have logos and symbols."

http://thecanadian.org/item/1564-enbridges-attempt-to-kill-spoof-backfires-as-censored-cartoonist-goes-public-dan-murphy

The controversy over this media censorship has also hit the New York Times, which is great.

http://thecanadian.org/hot-links/it...icks-up-on-enbridge-cartoon-controversy-in-bc

Back