Emerging Issues for SVI Chinook Regulations

I am also absolutely stunned that DFO is considering this. To me this is a very short sighted solution, the impact to the local economies will be huge, everyone from guides, hotels and retail stores will be impacted. Given the current business environment you would think the government would do everything in its power to keep the economy strong. The economic impact (and thus tax revenue) that is generated from a sport caught salmon vs. the benefit that the FN receives from their food fish is not even comparable. If the sockeye run is not large enough this year then compensate FN financially and leave the sport fishing industry and the large economic benefit they provide alone. Justin doesn't seem to have a problem with finding money for every other interest group and this should be no different. I agree that the FN and sportfishing industry should be working together to ensure that salmon stocks are protected and ensure that they are plentiful for future generations. Unfortunately this action will destroy that relationship and make any future cooperation much more difficult.

If you are concerned about this, you should get on the phone to your MP and MLA right now and let them know,about your concerns.

Contact DFO any and all people and let them know.

Letters to newspapers on your concerns will help as well.

Contact the groups you belong to and let them know your concerns and ask what they are doing and what you can do.

NOW is the time to get pro-active..

A decision like this would hurt those businesses beyond just this year. When people have booked time off with their employers, made reservations for flights, (many of them long haul) rooms, guides and other activities well in advance and then are informed at the eleventh hour that they can't fish they will not return to that area for many years, quite possibly never again. For Americans negatively effected by planning a trip to Canada and having this happen they will never book here again and fly over us to Alaska for future trips.

Scott, the FN on the Fraser have been told the sockeye returns are predicted to be so low this year that they will not be permitted to fish them as part of their FSC fisheries. They in turn are demanding early Fraser Chinook to make up for that shortfall and closing us would allow them to increase their catch by taking what we would normally get. So basically asking to be rewarded for over fishing sockeye runs and likely doing the same to early Chinook. I've never bought into the sockeye runs disappearing for any other reason than they are very valuable and they have been taken in river to be sold curbside or further east and south.

This is crazy that they would even think about trading the sockeye quota. IMO the Chinook #s are where they are do to the sports fishing sector efforts/involvement in conservation and hatcheries while the sockeye #s are where they are due to overfishing if the Commies and FN groups. I was looking at spending $1000-$2000 in the next few weeks on my boat that is now on hold until this is sorted out,times that by all the other boats out there doing the same. I don't care how nice JT's hair is he needs to start actually making tough decisions rather than giving everyone what they ask for.

X2 on this^^^^. Also agree commercial fishing needs to take some responsibility for a change. First halibut size reduction, now this and then the high ferry cost. I'm cancelling my island trip this year. Going to Bella Bella instead.

Last edited:
I sent a letter to T.C., don't know if it will get published

In response to CHECK news report on potential Chinook salmon closure.
Anglers on south Vancouver island have for many years born the brunt of excessive restrictions and closures.
Dean Stolzon's report indicates yet another looming closure in a year when forecast Chinook returns
are greater than usual.
If the Fraser river stocks are truly in danger, then all user groups must face the same restrictions.
Commercial harvest efforts must stop.
First Nation elders must be called on to advise their people to stop netting fish in the river.
It is completely unfair to ask one group to stop fishing so another can increase their harvest.

Profisher you said it best. These people need to wake up and see that netting has killed off the sockeye. Now after FN has wiped these stocks out with the help of the commercial netting, they want to wipe out the springs. Food fishery? More like roadside sales and backdoor deals to restaurants in in the lower mainland. The worst part is the bands above mid canyon on the Fraser hate the raping and pillaging that the lower fraser bands do.

No point in working together when we are already giving up more than enough and with what our industry brings to the economy.

Looks like June 17th closure of Chinook.
Friend of mine called dfo office.
Not official obviously but dunno why they'd make it up :/

I just called fisheries, they don't have anything concrete at this point.
The lady I spoke with said if there was any action taken, it would likely
happen mid June.

Why are we surprised-FN fishery minister. They ( FN) will get it all eventually-another happy ways decision brought to you by our touchy feely ,happy ways liberal gov't!! Co-operation, sharing, working together is all well and good until you can get the upper hand-guess what!! they have it!!

Some of may not be surprised at this, but we sure as hell don't have to accept it, or let it happen without putting up some serious political pressure and lobbying to not see this turn against the rec. sector. We still live in a democracy where we can freely express our displeasure to our elected officials - so I encourage us all to do just that! We should try to keep cool heads and a positive perspective on this if we want to succeed.

FYI..

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0373-COMMERCIAL Salmon: Troll - Chinook - Area G - Areas 23 to 27 and 124 to 127 - Fishery Continues

The Area G Harvest Committee met May 4, 2016 to discuss fishing plans for the
ongoing chinook fishery. It was decided that Area 123 will not open as
generally scheduled later this week. Depending on catch levels and abundance,
consideration may be given for an opening of Area 123 later in May.

The Area G chinook fishery continues until further notice in the following
Areas:

Areas 124, 125, 126, 127 and,

Area 23 - Subareas 23-3 excluding Uchucklesit Inlet, 23-4, 23-5, 23- 6
excluding Effingham Inlet, 23-7, 23-8, 23-9, 23-10 excluding Pipestem Inlet and
Sub-area 23-11 excluding Ucluelet Inlet

Area 24 - Subareas 24-6, 24-8, 24-9 and that portion of sub area 24-2 seaward
of a line commencing at Starling Point Light (49 23.647 N, 126 13.849 W) then
heading 270 degrees true West to the opposite shoreline of Sydney Inlet (49
23.646 N, 126 15.742 W)

Area 25 – Subareas 25-6, 25-7, 25-15 and that portion of subarea 25-13 seaward
of a line commencing from a point (49 50.020 N, 126 57.906 W) at the northeast
entrance of Rosa Harbour continuing to a point (49 51.577 N, 126 59.640 W) at
the western entrance of Port Eliza

Area 26 – Subareas 26-1, 26-2, 26-6, 26-7

Area 27 – Subareas 27-1, 27-2, 27-3, 27-4, 27-7, and 27-9

The target species is chinook. Incidentally caught chum and pink may be
retained. All coho, sockeye and steelhead may not be retained. The minimum
size limit for chinook is 55 cm fork length (head on), and 44 cm (head off).

Variation Order No. 2016-G-TR-WCVI-004

Negotiations between the Department and the five T’aaq-wiihak First Nations
(Ahousaht, Tla-o-qui-aht, Ehattesaht, Mowachaht/Muchalaht, and Hesquiaht)
regarding a chinook AABM 2016 demonstration fishery continue, and updates will
be provided once those negotiations are complete.

Fishers are reminded that conservation measures to further protect Fraser River
Spring and Summer chinook will likely be in effect. These measures include no
Area G fisheries in June and monthly boat day limits during the April/May
fishing period. For 2016 fisheries, the Area G harvest committee has developed
fishing plans assuming that there will be no fishery in June and the 650 boat
days assigned to the June fishery will be transferable to the April and May
fisheries. As a result, the April/May fishery will be limited to a maximum of
1900 boat days or the catch target of approximately 37,000 chinook.

The estimated Area G catch to May 3 is 9,600 chinook from 535 boat days.

Fishers are reminded that the dockside catch validation pilot program
implemented in the past two seasons will continue in 2015 from April 19 until
September 30. All fish caught under the authority of an Area G licence must be
delivered to designated landing sites. Please refer to your 2016-17 Area G
Conditions of Licence for details.

There is no reason why we should be out maneuvered on this issue by FN. Our reps need to get out in front of this with clear message to the public that we are doing our part to conserve these fish and release the fish of concern when in low abundance and during the time they are present in our area 19 & 20 fisheries. We do this to ensure these stocks are able to rebuild for the betterment of all fisheries including FN and to ensure a plentiful and stable supply of food for our local resident killer whales, our provinces brown & black bears and bald eagles. We are on the right side of this conflict and should have any easy time convincing the general public to support our position which will pressure DFO to do the same. DFO needs to fear us equally as much as FN before we will be treated fairly.

Liberals will cave. Sunny ways my friends. Sunny ways. Wait till what's coming hits, does anyone really believe this is for management of a resource??? Where are those that ranted about how our fishery will be protected now the Conservatives are gone???? Maybe you will get your way and the fish will be protected from us. I think there's more coming for farmers, hunters, gun owners and yes fishers.

I thank all members who are standing, fighting and representing us. Yes now I start my letters.

HM

Back