Electrolysis on Riveted Aluminum boats

Scott K

On factory riveted boats (Lund, Lowe, G3, etc.), unlike your typical local welded boats, there isn't a factory position zinc anode mount (or an optional bracket for such) for saltwater electrolysis protection (as far as I know from limited research anyways). I'm curious for those of you who may use such boats what you have done (or haven't done for that matter). I've heard some suggest that the anodes in the motor may be enough to not have to worry about it. Electrolysis is not covered by any boat
warranty so I'm interested in what your experience has been if any.

My last boat was a riveted aluminum. Had it 12 years.

never had zinc anodes on it.

Actually what killed it was the carpeted trailer bunks + pressure treated wood inside the carpet.

Right where it sat on the carpet (which stayed wet for ages after flush-off) it started to pit out there on both sides.

Everywhere else on the hull was in perfect condition.

It probably wouldn't hurt to add a zinc to the hull someplace if you are using it in the chuck all the time.

But it's the bunks I would be worried about.

Either replace the carpet with UHMW......or get some of those add-on bunk caps that EZ loaders makes.

(they aren't cheap....16 bucks a crack times 8 (4 per side)...which is how many you need for a boat trailer that holds a 16ft.)

The EZ loader caps go right over your carpet. You put them on and then cut all remaining carpet off.

The boat then sits on grooved plastic....never touches the carpet underneath the cap or the wood bunks.

Last edited by a moderator:
On factory riveted boats (Lund, Lowe, G3, etc.), unlike your typical local welded boats, there isn't a factory position zinc anode mount (or an optional bracket for such) for saltwater electrolysis protection (as far as I know from limited research anyways). I'm curious for those of you who may use such boats what you have done (or haven't done for that matter). I've heard some suggest that the anodes in the motor may be enough to not have to worry about it. Electrolysis is not covered by any boat
warranty so I'm interested in what your experience has been if any.

My zincs are mounted on my motor, but the boat sees only 2-3 times a year in the salt.

Back