Ejecto bearing buddies!

N2013

I’ve lost 3 bearing buddies on my last 3 times trailering the boat. All same wheel and All out to Sooke. Yes the road sucks, but could I be having an issue with the rim or the drum being out of true. Hubs, brakes, bearings, leaf springs all new back in Sept. Brakes are hydraulic. I’ve tried the loctie on the bearing buddies, but they still seem to be shedding. Could the rim be warped or is there something else I should be trying. I’m not overfilling the bearing buddies either. Single axle trailer.

Could they be a bit out of round when being tapped in? Unless the spring is strong af, no other reason for it.

If the mounting surfaces are completely clean, you’ll lose them. Ask me how i know! Make sure the inner surface, particularly is free of grease.

I've lost a couple of bearing buddies in the past. I use stainless steel crab trap wire and wire them on to the trailer wheel now.

I have a trailer that does this, not a boat trailer but one of my utility trailers. Can’t keep caps on it or bearing buddies. I have to spot weld them on. Just a small spot on apposing sides on each hub. Small enough that a quick hit with chisel chip sit off but enough to hold them on. I maintain 11 axles all together around my place between utility trailers and 3 boat trailers and an RV and the one trailer has been like that for a few years now. Both hubs are like that on it,, just a strange thing that one.

Could be the drum is worn or out of round where the buddy is pressed in. Like Bigbruce said make sure they are real clean and yes lots of guys wire them on as well

I've had this problem before. Cleaned and then tapped in with any old sixaflex lying around or silicone and smeared around the hub.

I have a trailer that does this, not a boat trailer but one of my utility trailers. Can’t keep caps on it or bearing buddies. I have to spot weld them on. Just a small spot on apposing sides on each hub. Small enough that a quick hit with chisel chip sit off but enough to hold them on. I maintain 11 axles all together around my place between utility trailers and 3 boat trailers and an RV and the one trailer has been like that for a few years now. Both hubs are like that on it,, just a strange thing that one.
I hit with center punch in same spots you've tacked worked for me on my last boat trailer,

All the rolling stock we had at the airport i have seen lots of cheap Chinese hubs where the grease caps didn't fit, too loose, too tight.

The Fulton ones are larger diameter. I uses the original bearing buddies and mine popped off as well. Several times actually on a few trailers. In Sooke 2! It was always the passenger side one since that was one on shoulder of road.

When I hammer them in now I use a block of wood to make sure they get seated properly. Then go around again with hammer and make sure they are in.

Update: I took off the wheel and put my spare on. Rigged a little bearing buddy holder and so far so good. Never tried it without the clamp on though. Cheap fix.

View attachment 67033

View attachment 67034
It's all fun and games until your Bearing Buddy Holder fails, and you need a Bearing Buddy Holder Assist complete with Bearing Buddy Holder Assist Retainer and Bearing Buddy Holder Assist Retainer Lock.

Seriously though, I like that.

The trailer guy I deal with, shared a trick with me, years ago. After I lost a bunch of these. When you’re taking them off, you hit them as you turn the wheel, eventually they come off. Doing this slightly bends the mounting lip in (slightly elongated ). When you put them back on, this mounting lip doesn’t grip the drum, like when they’re new. They they fly off.
Trick is. Lay it on its side, on a piece of wood, and use a ball peen hammer or a punch to bend the lip back out, by hammering on the inside of the lip, on the bearing buddy.
Every time you take them off (once a year) you have to do this. Haven’t lost one since I started to do this.

It's all fun and games until your Bearing Buddy Holder fails, and you need a Bearing Buddy Holder Assist complete with Bearing Buddy Holder Assist Retainer and Bearing Buddy Holder Assist Retainer Lock.

Seriously though, I like that.
Took the training wheels off and let’er fly with no bra on. Bearing buddy stayed on to the ramp & back. The fish did not unfortunately. Think the issue mighta been the old rim as I put a new one on and no problem.

Just replaced bearing/races and seals on my single axle ez loader trailer. All new hubs/brakes etc in 2016 and this was the first time I've had it apart. I installed bearing buddies at that time after switching to grease hubs/bearings from the oil bath that was on there originally. No problems with the bearing buddies coming off over that time frame.

When I took things apart one Bearing Buddy came out in two pieces, the other side did not. I was not aware that they were sleeved. Mine show that the size is 2.441" but the body is just over 2.320" so the sleeve would have come installed on it when I bought them. I know it depends on hub ID measurements but was wondering if there is one standard size for the main body the Bearing Buddy and the different Hub ID's in just made up with different sleeve sizes added to the buddy. They seemed pretty snug when I banged them back on so hopefully they stay in place.

On a different note,,(and not meaning to derail your thread N2013) when I switched from oil bath to grease in 2016 I filled the hubs, buddies, seals etc completely with grease and then added a few pumps of grease a couple of times a year. I always jacked the trailer and spun the wheels when doing this. I know there are lots of opinions on hubs filled completely full of grease or not but 2016 until now with 80 to 100 dunks in the salt chuck per year seems pretty good without ever repacking the bearings. Bearings and race from one side still like new and some very minor pitting just starting on a few rollers on the inside bearing from the other side. I know there are many factors in bearing life but if I can repeat this I will be very happy.

BB!.jpegBB2.jpeg

Just replaced bearing/races and seals on my single axle ez loader trailer. All new hubs/brakes etc in 2016 and this was the first time I've had it apart. I installed bearing buddies at that time after switching to grease hubs/bearings from the oil bath that was on there originally. No problems with the bearing buddies coming off over that time frame.

When I took things apart one Bearing Buddy came out in two pieces, the other side did not. I was not aware that they were sleeved. Mine show that the size is 2.441" but the body is just over 2.320" so the sleeve would have come installed on it when I bought them. I know it depends on hub ID measurements but was wondering if there is one standard size for the main body the Bearing Buddy and the different Hub ID's in just made up with different sleeve sizes added to the buddy. They seemed pretty snug when I banged them back on so hopefully they stay in place.

On a different note,,(and not meaning to derail your thread N2013) when I switched from oil bath to grease in 2016 I filled the hubs, buddies, seals etc completely with grease and then added a few pumps of grease a couple of times a year. I always jacked the trailer and spun the wheels when doing this. I know there are lots of opinions on hubs filled completely full of grease or not but 2016 until now with 80 to 100 dunks in the salt chuck per year seems pretty good without ever repacking the bearings. Bearings and race from one side still like new and some very minor pitting just starting on a few rollers on the inside bearing from the other side. I know there are many factors in bearing life but if I can repeat this I will be very happy.

View attachment 72551View attachment 72552
What made you switch from the oil bath hubs ?

I have them on my trailer and love that they are super low maintenance and you can see the color of the oil or if any water has found it’s way in easy

What made you switch from the oil bath hubs ?

I have them on my trailer and love that they are super low maintenance and you can see the color of the oil or if any water has found it’s way in easy
I liked them as well and for the same reasons you mentioned. The rotors were completely shot and I couldn't get replacements in the timeframe that I needed them. I checked with Sherwood Marine and Port Boathouse, which was where I bought the trailer, and both places told me that they swap over to grease hubs so that's the way I went.. Would have gone with oil bath if I could have gotten them but the grease ones have been good to me as well and are more available in more places it seems.

Back