Early Fraser Chinook

It would be nice if the papers asked why this run is devastated.
It would be nice for the Indians to finally wear this.

All parties bear responsibility for the dwindling numbers, however what is the point of protecting them in the ocean if they are only be speared and netted in the river?

All parties bear responsibility for the dwindling numbers, however what is the point of protecting them in the ocean if they are only be speared and netted in the river?

I certainly hope the FN leaders will do their part in this closure. Just because the union wants a closure, doesn't mean they will get compliance from all bands. Well, they may get compliance from band chiefs, but that doesn't mean that all band members will comply. Will they still be allowed ceremonial, food and economic opportunity fish for this run? I'm very supportive of the FN's constitutional rights in most cases, but this one is hard to swallow if they don't have to do their part. Conservation is supposed to be priority number one. Then again, who is going to enforce it?

The DFO "poor and sloppy management" say it's not so. If the run is closed it needs to be closed to all user groups no exceptions!

h.e.h.

Really? Well check that out and tell us the real numbers.

What is sad is that groups have to take it upon themselves to propose drastic management measures to save the fish because the ministry responsible for managing, isn't.

I notice the natives arent willing to give up fishing themselves. Just everyone else should. We are all aware of the so called "ceremonial fishing". We see the signs advertising the ceremonial fish for sale when we drive by the reserve. And while were on the topic, im sick of seeing spear fishing of spawning fish. Natives, if they make the river. Let them spawn.

This is good news isn't it? The natives are calling for a closure and a lot of guys are ragging on them. It doesn't say closure to all non natives it says closure period.

It's not the natives fault there are no fish left. If white man could fish without limits some would be responsible and take what they need others would take as much as they can get. Natives are no different the difference is our government through their actions says its ok for natives to but not anyone else so they take advantage just like some white people would if we were aloud and they were not. If white man could sell the fish he catches on the road without consequence we would do that too.

It's our own fault for not laying out proper rules for net pens, commies and natives. You can't hold natives to a higher standard then everyone else.

If this is the third year they have called for a ban, has there been no First Nation fishery in the past two years? I suspect their own people will not respect their call for a ban even if their "demand" that non native fishery be closed is implemented. They are "calling" on their people, but "demanding" all others, interesting choice of words?

This is good news isn't it? The natives are calling for a closure and a lot of guys are ragging on them. It doesn't say closure to all non natives it says closure period.

It's not the natives fault there are no fish left. If white man could fish without limits some would be responsible and take what they need others would take as much as they can get. Natives are no different the difference is our government through their actions says its ok for natives to but not anyone else so they take advantage just like some white people would if we were aloud and they were not. If white man could sell the fish he catches on the road without consequence we would do that too.

It's our own fault for not laying out proper rules for net pens, commies and natives. You can't hold natives to a higher standard then everyone else.

, I agree with those statements 100 percent, well said

It's not the spears in the rivers nor the fishing rods that killed a river like the Fraser. It's the big scale exploitation - ocean and river. Ruthless commercial interests - non-native as well as native. Another proof that commercial interest need tight regulation.

The problem is that there are not enough salmon left for anyone. How cool would it be if say SVIAC formed an alliance with the natives to pressure government to fix this and make sure there are lots of salmon again? Can you imagine the power of sporties and natives demanding the same thing?

The problem is that there are not enough salmon left for anyone. How cool would it be if say SVIAC formed an alliance with the natives to pressure government to fix this and make sure there are lots of salmon again? Can you imagine the power of sporties and natives demanding the same thing?

This may well happen one day, but I would be prepared for a 5 year closure on Chinook.
Nobody wants that, but it may be the only way.

We've basically had a closure for how many years on ET Fraser fish around victoria at least. I don't think any amount of closure is enough if DFO won't step up and manage all fisheries.

I don't blame the natives like I said before if we had access like them some of us would take advantage too and others would be influenced by the people who keep everything they catch and start to do the same. I blame DFO why doesn't the native fishery require observers like the commercials? Why are the rules not enforced ? Why are our courts saying they can use any means they like to catch fish when the treaties were signed they used spears and wiers.

Difficult questions to answer.

Craven, while there are many issues that the different sectors will probably never see completely eye to eye on there is one that we all think alike on. Where we all agree is that if there were more fish the bickering between the sectors would end. There has been work already started on this theme and progress is being made. Hopefully it continues and more players join as a strong and unified voice to demand that DFO get serious about restoring salmon populations.

Back