Eagle craft boat build ?

Slabbedout

I have been saving my pennies for a newer 17-18’ welded boat. I grew up thinking the eaglecraft boats where king. My buddies dad had a 17’ with a 60 Yamaha tiller on it and we had tons of good times in that boat. I would like to avoid the production boats ( not that I don’t think they are nice I just want something a bit unique ) , so I have been checking out Silverstreak, Northwest and lifetimer. All reputable builders with good history. Just curious what others have and opinions on who they would have build for them. Honestly I have been on the lookout for a used boat for about 2 years and have only seen 1 boat I was interested in viewing so I have decided getting one built is probably going to happen. I am in no rush to have one built but like to be up on my research before spending a lot of money. Ideally I would like to stay around 50G and would want a 17-18’ runabout style with 4 stroke power, hardrdtop is more desirable than a canvas and I would like a anchor locker in the bow. I like the SS carmanah and Race rocks models just don’t really care to go through a dealer ( don’t really care to pay for the middle man). I don’t even really know if Daigle makes smaller boats anymore I just assume they will make whatever I ask as long as I pay accordingly.

I have been saving my pennies for a newer 17-18’ welded boat. I grew up thinking the eaglecraft boats where king. My buddies dad had a 17’ with a 60 Yamaha tiller on it and we had tons of good times in that boat. I would like to avoid the production boats ( not that I don’t think they are nice I just want something a bit unique ) , so I have been checking out Silverstreak, Northwest and lifetimer. All reputable builders with good history. Just curious what others have and opinions on who they would have build for them. Honestly I have been on the lookout for a used boat for about 2 years and have only seen 1 boat I was interested in viewing so I have decided getting one built is probably going to happen. I am in no rush to have one built but like to be up on my research before spending a lot of money. Ideally I would like to stay around 50G and would want a 17-18’ runabout style with 4 stroke power, hardrdtop is more desirable than a canvas and I would like a anchor locker in the bow. I like the SS carmanah and Race rocks models just don’t really care to go through a dealer ( don’t really care to pay for the middle man). I don’t even really know if Daigle makes smaller boats anymore I just assume they will make whatever I ask as long as I pay accordingly.
I grew up with my Dads 26’ Eaglecraft. It’s a tank. It took us on many adventures and never let us down. Even six weeks in the charlottes when I was 15. I’d highly recommend Daigle. That or a Northwest built in Langford. We had a 26’ with a 10’ cabin with twin 150 yamahas

@advTHXance is getting a beauty CC made. I know he did his homework. Maybe you can shoot him a PM. You are both good dudes in my books.

Tin boats are expensive. Idk about runabouts but an 18' CC with a few "extras" is minimum 30k for just the hull and some basic rigging. Then you have to add motor, motor controls, trailer, chartplotter, sounder, vhf, antenna, batteries, trim tabs, washdown, bilge, wiring, etc. It adds up quick, trust me. By the time the dust settles on my build im going to be looking at 60-70k (20' CC with 150hp suzuki and trailer). If youre thinking of a runabout, a hard top and windshield is going to increase your costs even further.

I shopped around quite a bit before going with Shadowline Boats in Campbell River. Don is doing an incredible job with my build and if you wanna take a peek theres a thread with a bunch of pics from start to close-to-finished. If I were you Id send an email explaining exactly what youre after - and I do mean exactly, like from the hull features and thickness to the smaller details - to Shadowline, Versatile, Lifetimer, Ironhorse, and Ironwood. NWAC doesnt have a website but they make very nice custom boats as well.

You might wanna have a look through these:

https://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-popemobile-is-getting-tired.81487/
https://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/new-silver-streak-on-the-way.83729/

What do you think that merc is worth ? I have seen this listed just don’t like the Black Death hanging off it.
I’m not a merc guy either but that year and size got some very good reviews.

once you go black you never get back
I have had 3 trips go bad because of O/B problems - all were the black death; none of which I owned. If you are in a 1 dealer town & it's merc, then that should be your best option.
I kinda think the reputation comes from the 50's - 60's when they were the "go faster" choice with the saying being "if you need to get there first, get a Merc. If you need to get back, get a Johnson. They may well be fine now but I will never own one.

Eaglecraft are definitely top tier. Dangle is now owned by Boulton so hopefully they don’t loose the quality that Steve and Bob built up over the years. I have an 18’ SS and can recommend them.

Last edited:
I have had 3 trips go bad because of O/B problems - all were the black death; none of which I owned. If you are in a 1 dealer town & it's merc, then that should be your best option.
I kinda think the reputation comes from the 50's - 60's when they were the "go faster" choice with the saying being "if you need to get there first, get a Merc. If you need to get back, get a Johnson. They may well be fine now but I will never own one.

I have owned many of the brands of outboards, inboards, different brands of trucks, I have rode Polaris and Ski doo sleds, and I believe some get a good one, some get a bad one of all brands, I agree it is all about service to me. I am dealer loyal not brand loyal. They ALL have issues. Especially with the internet now, you find guys with both, nothing but problems or mine ran forever and I did nothing. So run what ya brung but to go on and say I had a bad trip with X so they are all crap is a bit of a stretch.

I’ve got a Lifetimer and love it, but they can be pricey to set up right. Their bare bones hills are really really bare bones and the aluminum/self bailing floor is an upgrade in itself.

Saw a new JRmarine cc in Tofino and it looked beauty. Well made. Fantastic welds. Nice all around. They’re in Saanich I believe. I would reach out to them if I was in the market.

I have a 15' SilverStreak tiller boat that I had built. A bit smaller than you are looking for but a good boat for it's size. I also had a 25' JaxonCraft built a few years ago and I'm very happy with it as well. Not sure if he still builds a run about model but worth a phone call. I looked at the names you listed as well and ended up with him if that means anything. He is custom so there is a wait list but good to deal with. Regardless of who you go with make sure you are in contact a lot so things get done and no surprises in the end result. My build was done while I was in another province but the builder kept me in the loop. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Back