DYI Drum to disk conversion

Fisherman Rob

I'm thinking of upgrading my single axle EZ loader trailer from surge drum to surge disk. I've seen some kits on eTrailer that seem to be a good price, even with shipping and CAN -> US $ conversion. It looks like an easy DIY conversion if you can use the existing actuator and break lines. I have an Atwood coupler that looks identical to this one. I can't locate a model number on it to be sure though.

Anyone know if this model can be used with discs? Can the manual reverse lockout can be used? Any special tools needed to disconnect the brake lines from the drums and connect to the new calipers?

Oops just noticed the title DYI instead of DIY... can't seem to fix without deleting and re-posting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I converted my former EZLoader to Kodiak Disks years ago. Was easy. Bolts to the same place as the drum backing plates. The only thing is the coupler. Either get a new Disk Brake master cylinder. Or remove it or puncture the residual valve in the cylinder. Keeps a little pressure on the lines for drum, not used with disks. Is a metal plate in the cylinder. I just bought a new cylinder as the old one was a little rusty. Much nicer to buy a bypass solenoid instead of the mechanical lockout. They are not expensive. And you hook up the backup light wire to engage the solenoid.

Hey thanks for the feedback Califbill. Good to know you can change the master cylinder from drum to disk without replacing the entire coupler. Can you also retro-fit the reversing solenoid? Did you have any issue re-using your existing brake lines? Did they dis-connect from the original drum assembly? There's appears to be a lot of rust where they connect to the drums, and not sure if I will be able to re-connect them to the new calipers.

The blocking or bypass solenoid just goes in line with the master cylinder line. I used the same lines, except for one. Needed a little longer line, and any car parts store can get you brake lines in different lengths. If too rusty, new lines are pretty cheap. Get a flare nut wrench. Is a 6 point wrench with a slot to go around the tubing. There are two types of solenoid. One is a blocking and the other is a bypass. The bypass came with instructions to drill and tap a return hole in the master cylinder reservoir. The blocking solenoid does not need the return line.

Back