Duck Duck HOG

Karma-Kazi

Today my old man and I went to Langford lake to try our luck again. We did not go at the crack of dawn this time. Instead we woke up enjoyed our coffee and breakfast at home and headed out there at about 9am. We trolled our way down to the deep end of the lake where we had our luck a few days ago. I had a massive strike down deep on a black micro leech and missed it. An the nothing for about 2 hours.

I was marking fish all over the fish finder from 20 down to 40ft. I Immediately took the boat out of gear and let the flies begin to sink. BINGO! Double header. We got a healthy 15 and 17 inch bows in the net. Out came the throat pump and then off they went. The small one had a single bomber chronny inside. The bigger had 3.

Down go the anchors. I was sure I could suspend some flies and nail them. Bingo again. It was near instant. Matched the hatch and set some bombers. The rods started to play dip and dive constantly. We ended up with a dozen bows to the net and id say around a dozen more missed. Most were around 15 inches but we did get two really nice ones. A 20.5" and 25.5" HOG. I also missed one I never saw that was in the HOG category also.

Here are some shots of the fish!

After the big fish was landed a fellow who has visited us in the past came to have a look at the HOG. He was impressed but didn't stay to chat long.

Hope you enjoyed

The fish was 25.5" long and weighed 7.5 pounds.

-Cheers KK

Those are some dandy trout, KK, well done. Those triploids are really turning into something, eh?

Are those the missing sockeye? Been 4 years since I've kept one kinda forget what they look like.

Thanks guys! Yes the triploids are really something. I would not think 10 pounds is out of the question. And one day hope to slay something of that size on the island. You don't have to trek out to Kamloops to catch these gems. Just have to learn the lake.

-KK

I've heard the triploids can gain 1lb/year on average and life expectancy is 9 years. But that was just some knuckleheads talking around a campfire so don't take that to the bank. Lol

I have pondered this alot over the past few years. My thoughts are that on the island with the lack of ice over and winter kill. We have the conditions whre trout feed for 12 months of the year. Now they dont feed heavy but they do feed. So I believe that they are growing faster then the trips on the mainland. Just my opinion. I would love to have a chat with Brian Chan one day and have a 100 page book of questions for him :p And yet hes taught me oh so much already ;)

I've heard the triploids can gain 1lb/year on average and life expectancy is 9 years. But that was just some knuckleheads talking around a campfire so don't take that to the bank. Lol

^ same could be said of Okanagan Lake too, minimal ice and winter kill. Still doesn't mean I can catch a big rainbow there though, but I'll keep trying.

The duck hunter in me forces me to tell you that your inspector is a hen not a drake.

Beauty fish.

I most certainly know my ducks as I am an avid hunter myself. Just typed it out that way I guess. If I wanted to go even farther all those trout are girls as they are trips too. LOL

I let go one today that was maybe a pound less then that! WHAT a HOG again. And much more epic fight as the water temps fall a degree Fahrenheit each night.

Might have to go again today as this will not last. The big bows are starting to disperse throughout the water column instead of just hanging in the thermocline where you can just place an offering in there face!

Cheers KK

The duck hunter in me forces me to tell you that your inspector is a hen not a drake.

Beauty fish.

Back