Dry Tooth Picks...

Andrew P

How do you guys keep your toothpicks dry and crisp for rigging bait?

I really hate having soggy wet tooth picks for rigging anchovies/herring/etc so this is what I do.

Mini booze bottle, bit of rice, toss in the picks. You need to keep enough picks or you get rice all over...I also put some rice in refillable tea bag shells for general tackle dryness; works well. Silica gel packs work well too...not so natural though. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395126093.419098.jpg

I keep a old medicine bottle like what you get a prescription in. The old line up the arrows one. and just keep them in my tackle box. Ive been using the sort of flat toothpicks not the round ones. Is one better then another I wonder? I like the square cuase you jam them in till they fit tight and just snap them off. Its usually right to the fat end and the perfect length.

I can't stand flat toothpicks as the do get flimsy when damp. I just buy round ones from the dollar store, and have for years. Think I get 8-10 packs for a dollar. They don't seems to get affected by moisture and they often come in a plastic container unlike the paper box of flat toothpicks.

When building a teaser head why would you uses a flat toothpick to fill a round hole? When using flat ones I find it can't set the tension I want between the mono and the teaser head.

Lose the flat toothpicks lose your issues..... :)

I can't stand flat toothpicks as the do get flimsy when damp. I just buy round ones from the dollar store, and have for years. Think I get 8-10 packs for a dollar. They don't seems to get affected by moisture and they often come in a plastic container unlike the paper box of flat toothpicks.

When building a teaser head why would you uses a flat toothpick to fill a round hole? When using flat ones I find it can't set the tension I want between the mono and the teaser head.

Lose the flat toothpicks lose your issues..... :)
I find the round ones are too large in diameter and do not fit all the way into the hole and jamming them just breaks them in the wrong spot. The flat ones seem to hold better and they always break at the right spot.

Well, I never USED to have issues with the flat ones, but now that you bring it up, I am going to have to go see my therapist and try to resolve my flat/round issues......... Oh the humanity!

Last edited by a moderator:
I use round tooth picks only, aren't flimsy, stay relatively dry. I use an Excedrin plastic bottle with holes in the top so I can shake them out. I have a small drill bit the exact size of the tooth picks and hand turn the bit in each and every kripple K head I use to make sure I have no trouble with them. The flat picks seem to have got thinner and inconsistent over the years and they just don't seem to hold up. My opinion but I'm a stickler for bait and when I want to reload -I need it now!

Flat tooth picks in anchovy heads...round toothpicks painted black in cut plugs...stored in Advil containers :)

FishWish

Yes the flat toothpicks are getting cheesey for sure, they used to get one million tooth picks out of a tree now they get two million. I don't use the red pins they give you with the Anchovy Specials so quite often i have to use two of the flat toothpicks to run through the head to get it snug and tight in there. Most rounds ones are to big but there are most likely some smaller diameter ones out there as FA says maybe the dollar store has them. If there isn't smaller diameter ones out there I am sure there will be soon as that's the way everything you buy seems to be going now. Pay more - get less.

I used the spicy bottle for toothpick for over 20 years. It has no problems . when the bottle shake the toothpick out , I choice which one to use it. It's easy and fastest. it always keep dry, no messy no wet, etc.

round tooth pics do not work in jugheads all i use is flat ones

They certainly did in the one's AJ made himself before going offshore! I can't speak to the new mass produced ones, but a round jewelers file will take care of making bigger holes. Round toothpicks hold better I find.

Bc ferries.. Individually packaged. :)

Back