Dropping another persons fish off at processor

You could take a few video showing that you dropped your sister with her license in hand. Each video/photo has a date/time/location info now on your phone, and you can show these info to the DFO officer if they question you.

The not over your possession or possession of the people present thing is probably to prevent people getting everyone in their family a license, and then just saying oh my wife was here but she went home early and left the fish here on the boat yada yada yada. And since everyone is innocent until proven guilty DFO would just have to take your word for it unless they could find evidence of her not being there. And I am guessing the time involved in tracking down and disproving all these stories is just not worth it. So to stop the real abusers the honest people get caught up in the web. Thats my 2 cent worth of a guess

The not over your possession or possession of the people present thing is probably to prevent people getting everyone in their family a license, and then just saying oh my wife was here but she went home early and left the fish here on the boat yada yada yada. And since everyone is innocent until proven guilty DFO would just have to take your word for it unless they could find evidence of her not being there. And I am guessing the time involved in tracking down and disproving all these stories is just not worth it. So to stop the real abusers the honest people get caught up in the web. Thats my 2 cent worth of a guess
For sure that's the reason. But again that is DFO treating 99% of us like criminals to catch the one percent. Get enforcement at the dock to make sure that people aren't catching more than their own limit. Who cares who transport them home.

so how many docks do you want them on and for how many hours a day ? and if they are on the dock people will complain they aren't out on the water.

it sucks but most laws are like that, a response to the POS that caused the law to be enacted.

No reasonable DFO officer is gonna write a ticket if you have a family members catch with the license properly filled out, catch bagged with tails attached and name of fisher and license number on it. If you make every reasonable attempt to comply with the law and have a reason for your family member not being there, I cannot see a snow balls chance in hell that a judge would ever agree with charges laid by an officer who isn't reasonable. I'll kick in the first $250 for legal fees to help you fight it if it ever happened. If you've got a history of DFO charging you for previous offences that might be a different matter. I don't know why so many people seem to over-complicate regs. I guess its fear of DFO. All my dealings with them have always been cordial.

Does anyone know if you can keep the head, spine, and tail, all intact as proof of proper size? Cut the filets off as we normally used to do, then keep a bag of the "offal" as proof of fish number and size? I have a bad habit of cutting both fillets without leaving the tail, I think it's just programmed into me at this point to do it that way. Could take the carcasses home for crab/prawn bait?

Does anyone know if you can keep the head, spine, and tail, all intact as proof of proper size? Cut the filets off as we normally used to do, then keep a bag of the "offal" as proof of fish number and size? I have a bad habit of cutting both fillets without leaving the tail, I think it's just programmed into me at this point to do it that way. Could take the carcasses home for crab/prawn bait?
How would you prove that your bag of offal came from you fillets?

Seriously people the rules aren’t difficult to follow just follow them and be happy

Seriously people the rules aren’t difficult to follow just follow them and be happy
Catch 4 fish. 8 fillets. 4 head-spine-tail sections... pretty simple. Makes more sense given we retain fish based on regulated fork length. If you process them with pec fin and tail on, then given morphological differences among populations, the pec fin to fork length measurement could be variable. 78 cm fork length fish could have a short head, then you're over the pec-to-fork length threshold... Never said I was unhappy with the rules. Just curious...

More on topic.

I've dropped off fish at St Jeans many times for my wife and family. They are not open on Sunday when we come home from a trip. I've always brought the licenses and there has never been an issue.

No reasonable DFO officer is gonna write a ticket if you have a family members catch with the license properly filled out, catch bagged with tails attached and name of fisher and license number on it. If you make every reasonable attempt to comply with the law and have a reason for your family member not being there, I cannot see a snow balls chance in hell that a judge would ever agree with charges laid by an officer who isn't reasonable. I'll kick in the first $250 for legal fees to help you fight it if it ever happened. If you've got a history of DFO charging you for previous offences that might be a different matter. I don't know why so many people seem to over-complicate regs. I guess its fear of DFO. All my dealings with them have always been cordial.
This is direct from the DFO website.

"Fishers are reminded that they may not retain or transport more than their individual Possession Limit for any species, nor more than any aggregate limit."

The rules suck, and lead to a degraded quality of meat. I want my meat to be packed and frozen same day or next day. if it has to wait 3-5 days prior to processing, the quality suffers.

For the bigger chinooks, can you cut the filet not attached to the pectoral and tail into more than 2 pieces? The link above specifies two pieces but if it's obviously a bigger fish and the pieces fit together, is there an issue?

How do you guys get so many fish? Im usually lucky to get my daily quota LOL.

I fillet all of my fish and include the collars and tail on one. I then portion them by cutting thru the meat to the skin. Freeze them flat. When I get home I simply remove the tail, cut the skin, and vacupac each portion.
And yes I will transport a family members legally caught fish along with my own and will present my case to a judge if need be.
Enough of the madness.
DFO ...enemy of fish and fishermen.

The rules suck, and lead to a degraded quality of meat. I want my meat to be packed and frozen same day or next day. if it has to wait 3-5 days prior to processing, the quality suffers.
I spent 5 days fishing North island earlier in July. My first day salmon spent 5 days in the cooler and I didn’t see any issues with quality. I bonk, bleed, gut on the boat and then on ice. At the end of the day I stacked the fish belly up layered with salt flake ice in a separate cooler in the truck. 8 springs and 4 coho of varying sizes fit in my 128 quart Cordova roto mold cooler. I kept the drain open tilted slightly.

I spent 5 days fishing North island earlier in July. My first day salmon spent 5 days in the cooler and I didn’t see any issues with quality. I bonk, bleed, gut on the boat and then on ice. At the end of the day I stacked the fish belly up layered with salt flake ice in a separate cooler in the truck. 8 springs and 4 coho of varying sizes fit in my 128 quart Cordova roto mold cooler. I kept the drain open tilted slightly.
I do that as well on short trip. I've kept fish 8 days on good ice no problem.

I have really not paid to much attention to this in the past when we would all pack camp into Nootka for a week. One guy would pull the camper the other guy hauled the fish and boat home, never really put any thought into it. But guess was just lucky back then.

Back