Draft IFMP outline on CWT data collection

T

tofinofish

Increasing Coded Wire Tag (CWT) submission rates

The CWT program relies on voluntary submissions of heads from adipose fin-clipped chinook and coho salmon to estimate the quantity and stock composition of salmon in various fisheries. Over the past several years, submission rates have decreased. Returns of heads from adipose clipped coho salmon have become so low that they no longer provide sufficiently precise CWT catch estimates for stock assessment purposes. In certain fisheries, recovery rates of heads from adipose clipped chinook salmon are also low.
Recreational catch taken on guided trips, both lodge-based and non-lodge based is one element of the recreational fishery that has seen increased head submission rates in recent years, due to cooperation of the guides in collecting and in some cases delivering heads. In 2013, the Department will strive to increase the proportion of guiding companies collecting heads to better represent their fishing activity. Where it is possible, head collections and logbook data will be combined to realize the full benefits of these programs.

To increase awareness of the CWT program and to increase the rate of salmon head submissions, the Department is increasing promotion of the CWT program through communications with the SFAB and Sport Fishing Institute. For further information on the CWT program, please see:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tag-etiquette/SHRP-PRTS-eng.htm

With an increase of WCVI Coho Salmon forecasted for 2013, it will be a good opportunity to increase head submissions when/here possible - understanding that fewer WCVI/Canadian Coho are clipped than US..

Thoughts?

I turn in heads but don't remember every time. I'm more on it with chinooks then cohos. A lot of guys I fish with rarely if ever turn in any heads so I'm not surprised submissions are low.

I wonder if that has to do with the lack of decent prizes these last few years.
I too turn them in when I get them. I keep track of my fishing and find it valuable info.
GLG

I wonder if that has to do with the lack of decent prizes these last few years.
I too turn them in when I get them. I keep track of my fishing and find it valuable info.
GLG

IMO it shouldn't be drive by some cheap prizes, especially when more anglers understand that Salmon Fishing opportunities can be solidified, created or expanded based on the data gathered from CWT.

IMO it shouldn't be drive by some cheap prizes, especially when more anglers understand that Salmon Fishing opportunities can be solidified, created or expanded based on the data gathered from CWT.
Agree 100% but it seems human nature does not allow for noble or moral decisions. Granted there are many out there that do know why they should do this but sadly we need to "trick" the rest into doing the right thing.
GLG

Agree 100% but it seems human nature does not allow for noble or moral decisions. Granted there are many out there that do know why they should do this but sadly we need to "trick" the rest into doing the right thing.
GLG

I don't disagree with you at all there......"Death by complacency" is not an option for us to stand around and witness...

Back