Douglas Chanel

ReelAffair

Is mid May good in the Douglas CHanel for springs...trying to combine a Grizzly hunt and fishing at the same time

Thanks for the info

Hey striperjack mid May can be very good in Douglas Channel. I guided up there for 7 years and usually there were always some fish starting to show up when were setting up the lodges. We would always keep in touch with the Hartley Bay people and they would start fishing in early May. We would fish the start of Douglas channel. Good luck with your trip hopefully it works out for you.

Thanks for the info

I lived there for 23 years but was too busy hunting to fish....bad me I missed the prime years of Spring fishing

Living in Kitimat right now. It's better to fish out farther in May, ususally not alot of springs in close to town then. I can let you know how it's going closer to May. Last year wasn't so good but that's probably the case all around. I was thinking of going out Sunday to Fishtrap for some halibut, it appears though that there's going to be 40 knot outflow winds then, so I think I'll stay home.

thanks for the info thunder...I look forward to a report later....by the sounds of it we are planning either 2nd or 3rd week of may. Can't
wait to check out the old stomping grounds

There was fuel @ Hartley bay when we went through there last AUG, pretty sure the fuel dock would still be running. Nothing @ Butedale but one old friendly guy with lots of stories.
Pretty interesting touring around there. Not sure where Kemano is.

Hartley Bay has fuel most of the time so you should be okay. No fuel anywhere close except right at MK Bay in Kitimat. Lots of herring have been showing but not much for Springs yet. I am probably going out tomorrow for some halibut around fishtrap area. I'll keep checking with the guys to see if any Springs are showing.

Just talked to a few guys today and they are getting some springs around the Hartley Bay area now. I havent been out that way yet to find out for myself. Halibut fishing still slow. Went out last week and three of us got two small chicks..

Just talked to a few guys today and they are getting some springs around the Hartley Bay area now. I havent been out that way yet to find out for myself. Halibut fishing still slow. Went out last week and three of us got two small chicks..

how the weather been up there?
the snow gone yet?
and last but least any fishing reports?

leaving on Thursday night..:)

This from Noel Gyger's newsletter

DOUGLAS CHANNEL</u>: "Todd Haynes and his wife Nesia of Nautical West Adventures landed their first big Chinook of the season. As it was also mentioned in last week's report, Todd and Nesia have a tradition that Nesia lands the first Chinook of the season. Nesia landed a beauty on May 6th and the tradition continues. Well Done Nesia! Good job Skipper!

Alain from Alain's Deep Sea Adventures reports catching some feeder Chinook further down the channel. Alain is also doing some pre-season fishing preparing for the Charter Season.

I have the utmost respect for Charter boats that do the Preseason trips to get "dialed in" prior to taking out clients. Skippers such as Todd and Alain are true professionals.

More and more boaters are venturing out and there have been some halibut reported. David Payjack reports that his father went out with three of his friends and they "picked up two Halibut, one just over 30 lbs and one in the 60 lb category". David also mentioned that before they left they stopped in at Kitimat Home Hardware to see Ron Wakita and bought an Ace prawn hauler and it worked great! They caught approx. 7 1/2 gallons of prawns. That should be more than sufficient for a few feasts, eating like kings.
"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
freshwaterlagoonnuquicw3.jpg

The guys called me via Sat Phone from 80 miles up the Douglas Channel at 1am this morning[:0]. The were pretty excited and well into the CR celebration with Yogi in the boat! They said the prawns are the size of the crab calipers with the heads off! Should be some good pics. Jack and Colin can tell the rest when they get home.

www.tailspincharters.com

The guys called me via Sat Phone from 80 miles up the Douglas Channel at 1am this morning[:0]. The were pretty excited and well into the CR celebration with Yogi in the boat! They said the prawns are the size of the crab calipers with the heads off! Should be some good pics. Jack and Colin can tell the rest when they get home.

www.tailspincharters.com

Well got back yeseterday

AWESOME TRIP

Put lots of miles on the boat apprx 400 miles of running around

First and foremost we found Yogi Bear

135_135.jpg

lots of Crab and prawns to the point I dont want to eat another one for a while

012_12.jpg

080_80.jpg

060_60.jpg

we hit Fishtrap for 15 halis
we fish Hartley Bay area for 32 springs, nothing over 28lbs
Foch Lagoon for 2 Redsnapper

we released all fish except for 2 hali and both snappers

the weather was pretty decent except for the First day when it poured...and I mean poured

052_52.jpg

third day and last day were super windy

and last but least it doesn't matter if its a $300 bottle of Crown Royal XR....you still feel the same the next morning[xx(]

160_160.jpg

but boy does it sure go down nice:D

Back