Doggy Question - Help me teach Piper

Ground Tackle

I would like some advice from you guys who boat regularly with your dogs, how did you train them to use the back deck to go to the washroom? I have read about using a piece of carpet, getting the smell of urine on it to entice the dog to eliminate on it. I just wonder if that at all correlates into the dog going on any form of carpet when they are back home and in the house. I am wondering if anyone has used anything other than carpet and if so what?

We will be boating and doing some cruising for a few days straight with our new dog this year. We never boated with our previous dog – he was an English Bulldog and was already quite senior when we really got into spending a lot of time on the boat and we knew he wouldn’t appreciate boating life at that stage of his life. He passed away at 12 years old and have now just adopted a young adult Cairn Terrier who we will be bringing with us all the time. So, Piper and I would appreciate any help any of you can offer! Thanks

Attachments

• Piper.jpg
    Piper.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 37
I would try to use a small patch of astro turf if hes gonna go atleast its on something plastic/not on the boat floor that can be sprayed off lol

A girl. Astro turf is probably the best bet - it looks grass like and rubber backed, so can easily be sprayed down and dipped into the ocean for a cleaning, roll up to put away and should dry reasonably fast too boot.

most dogs when trained won't go in their
own place of co habitation. just make
frequent stops into shore so as they
get the drill at first...like asking if they
need to go out just before you and the rest
hit the hay..
after a while you ll know what they
are thinking mearlly with a look as they
put their ears back and wiggle..

Time to go to shore...

Last edited:
My dog has never pissed or **** in the boat. But when we get back don't stand in her way. LolIMG_1257.jpg IMG_1261.jpg

Thats great for the day. We plan to anchor out and overnight on board a few times this summer so I really want to get her to go at the back corner of the deck on the astro turf.

use a larger piece of astro turf and land train the dog with it first to use it, but use a specific command!!. on leash, right after opening the door to go out, and you know its gotta go out, lead the pup to the piece of turf. business will happen with praise. cut down said piece of turf for your boat and use the same word. make a specific command for that action and follow with tonnes of exited praise when it happens. good luck. i love training dogs!

so clean up a miss and put it where u want the work done. if u have visitors
and guests with pets . allow them to
investigat this desired area and chances
are there will now be a competition
and the desired reflex will occur...
usually in around the same area.

I like the idea of a fish tub with wood chips or a woodfiber chip litter .that way the mess is contained and your pet is not standing in mess and then jumps on your lap.and clean up is a chuck away.

Back