Do You Support Liberals Plan to Close 25% of Marine Areas to Fishing?

searun

Under the Liberal Government, they have quietly been working towards developing a Marine Protected Area (MPA) Network. Not yet implemented or broadcast widely to the public....which is why most people have no idea what an MPA actually is!

They started the process by identifying areas in Northern BC that could be set aside as protected (NO FISHING) with an original goal of establishing 10%. Recently they announced a campaign pledge to increase that to 25%. The current approach to MPA's is to identify those habitats that are the highest ecological value, and setting those aside for protection. Understandably, those high value ecosystem areas are also the very same areas of high value and use for recreational fishing.

Under a new Liberal Government (if elected) they pledge to increase that to 25%. If implemented this would in effect close almost all the best high value areas important to the Public Fishery.

A vote for the Liberals is a vote to close down areas important for you to fish...think about which areas are important for fishing - they certainly aren't low value ecosystem areas and probably if you were to identify the areas we currently frequent for fishing, it represents about 25% of the marine areas overall. An interesting Liberal strategy to put the final death nail into the Public Fishery - they want you off the water!

Here's the Liberal pledge - where to you stand??

udbury, ON — A re-elected Liberal government will protect 25 per cent of Canada’s land and 25 per cent of Canada’s oceans by 2025, as well as give every kid in Canada the chance to learn to camp.

Canada has the longest coastline in the world, one-fifth of the world’s fresh water, and vast and wild forests — but climate change puts them all at risk. It’s more important than ever to protect the natural landscape we know and love. At the same time, Canadians of all ages should have the chance to enjoy our natural wonders and learn more about our country.

“We have listened to the courageous voices of young people who are demanding that their governments take bold action to protect our nature for future generations,” said Leader of the Liberal Party, Justin Trudeau. “And we know that we raise environmental champions by helping the next generation experience Canada’s natural beauty firsthand.”

A re-elected Liberal will continue down the path of conservation and environmental protection:

• We will conserve and protect 25 per cent of Canada’s land and 25 per cent of Canada’s oceans by 2025, working towards 30 per cent of each by 2030;
  • We will ground these efforts in science, Indigenous knowledge, and local perspectives;
  • We will also advocate for countries around the world to set a 30 per cent conservation goal as well;

If you asked me which would you prefer, a 25% to 30% increase in Marine area no fishing zones or more broad fishing restrictions, I would take the no fishing zones.
Some would say we will get both under a Liberal Government.
I think regardless of which political party wins the next election we will continue down the fishing restriction road.
Why...because, by far, the General Public just don't care or they support the restrictions.
The same can be said of many casual Sport Fishermen.

Last edited:
If you asked me which would you prefer, a 25% to 30% increase in Marine area no fishing zones or more broad fishing restrictions, I would take the no fishing zones.
Some would say we will get both under a Liberal Government.
I think regardless of which political party wins the next election we will continue down the fishing restriction road.
Why...because, by far, the General Public just don't care or they support the restrictions.
The same can be said of many casual Sport Fishermen.

even if thoes mpa's land just happen to land at areas like possion point, Otter, muir , Sheringham ect.. I can tell you they wont be out in the middle of the straight in the shippen lanes

even if thoes mpa's land just happen to land at areas like possion point, Otter, muir , Sheringham ect.. I can tell you they wont be out in the middle of the straight in the shippen lanes

My bet is IF they come at all to popular fishing areas they will be in Rock Fish and Nursery areas.
Don't forget it was under the Liberal Government Otter Pt. to Sheringham was opened this year after a one year closure.
Don't get me wrong, I am not a Liberal Supporter, just trying to be realistic.
illegal-fish-2011783-jpg (2).jpg

Last edited:
My bet is IF they come at all to popular fishing areas they will be in Rock Fish and Nursery areas.
Don't forget it was under the Liberal Government Otter Pt. to Sheringham was opened this year after a one year closure.
Don't get me wrong, I am not a Liberal Supporter, just trying to be realistic.

Maybe halibuts holes too, Also you have to imagine most of the SRKW habibet will be a prime candidate for MPA's

Last edited:
At same time , then they should close 25% of Canadas farm lands from farmers and put it back to natural habitat.
that will shake up the inlanders....

Couldn't agree more. From the preliminary MPA expansion proposed for the North Coast and Northern VI, what I see is some of the very best fishing areas fall within those selected for MPA's. That was at 10%, now I can't even begin to imagine what will be closed under 25%, and then eventually 30%.

I'm sure the CPC has a different agenda for the North Coast as their announcement from last week.

Andrew Scheer wants an energy corridor across Canada. Here’s how the decades-old idea could work

The notion of a pan-Canadian corridor dedicated to rail, power lines and pipelines has been around for at least half a century but it looks like it’s about to get a big publicity boost.

Last week, Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer used a major pre-election policy speech to dust off a similar idea. Scheer promised, if he wins October’s election, that he would to work towards establishing a cross-country “energy corridor.”

He said planning for the route would be done up front, in consultation with provinces and Indigenous communities. A right-of-way would make it easier to lower environmental assessment costs, improve certainty for investors and increase the chances more projects will be built, Scheer said.

Interest in a coast-to-coast corridor has picked up in recent years. Energy infrastructure proposals have failed to secure approval due to tough regulatory processes and community concerns over environmental impacts.
More:
https://globalnews.ca/news/5310774/pan-canadian-energy-corridor-andrew-scheer/

I recall this from a few years ago as some of the Harper government's make Canada an energy powerhouse shtick. If I was a betting man I would bet that the first leg would be a pipeline to the North Coast then interest would fade. The fits the CPC had when the LPC passed the tanker ban gave up the game. Scheer is betting on a high carbon economy and everyone else is pushing for a low carbon economy.
If anyone is interested in the details it's in here.
https://www.policyschool.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/northern-corridor-sulzenko-fellows.pdf

NC-web-map-1024x703.png

Here’s a link to an interactive map of conserved areas currently in Canada; http://indicators-map.canada.ca/App/CESI_ICDE?keys=Conserved_Areas&GoCTemplateCulture=en-CA
It doesn’t include RCAs but I think they should count going forward.
What searun posted can be found on page 35 of the Liberal platform; https://2019.liberal.ca/wp-content/.../Forward-A-real-plan-for-the-middle-class.pdf
I find the last paragraph on page 36 also very interesting, “In British Columbia, we will work with the province to develop a responsible plan to transition from open net pen salmon farming in coastal waters to closed containment systems by 2025.” I support that.

Interesting you guys dont seem to have a problem with MPA's when the recent evidence points that they will be placed in critical fishing areas so much so that the commercial sector has hired a lawyer to help with negotiations.

kinda getting tired of arguing with the same people on every topic. Seems like you guys just want everything shut down.

Interesting you guys dont seem to have a problem with MPA's when the recent evidence points that they will be placed in critical fishing areas so much so that the commercial sector has hired a lawyer to help with negotiations.

kinda getting tired of arguing with the same people on every topic. Seems like you guys just want everything shut down.

Rec sector needs to get on the lawyer train too. It will **** us and people here will lose it then. But can’t complain if you’re not fighting now

There is no doubt in my mind after closely examining the current areas proposed under the Liberal plan to achieve a 10% MPA target, that an increase to 25% and then 30%, would essentially involve closing most areas commonly of high recreational fishery value. The Liberal plan would result in over 12,000 fishing related jobs being lost, and many communities highly dependent upon these fisheries would suffer irreparable harm....but as the Trudeau Liberals will tell you, like the economy those great jobs and benefits for displaced fishery workers will look after themselves. Anyone who truly loves fishing in tidal waters really needs to closely examine where they will strategically place their vote on October 21.

If people don't believe that the MPA's will not have serious impacts on most sportfishing area on the whole coast of BC then its one of 2 things... they do not sport-fish or they have there heads stuck in the sand.. period

I'm sure the CPC has a different agenda for the North Coast as their announcement from last week.

Andrew Scheer wants an energy corridor across Canada. Here’s how the decades-old idea could work

The notion of a pan-Canadian corridor dedicated to rail, power lines and pipelines has been around for at least half a century but it looks like it’s about to get a big publicity boost.
I'm pretty sure when I looked about the Nanaimo harbour today spotting 3 large spill containment ships and several barges for spill containment (all constructed and crewed under a Liberal government), that there is every expectation by the Liberals they will build the pipeline. So both major parties have the same agenda - build it and move on.

Let's try to influence transformative change for the worst CO2 polluting countries like China. Why not provide incentives for them to change, like linking their ability to import products here to meeting CO2 targets? If they couldn't sell products to Canada until they meet specific targets, their behaviour would shift rapidly. Simple.

Meanwhile and quite frankly, I would rather have China burning Canadian LNG any day than burning Canadian coal. Similarly, I would rather have Canadian oil transported by a pipeline any day, than by rail which is considerably higher risk to the environment. I'm begging to ask any of the green protesters, how they get around....willing to bet they burned carbon to get to their protests.

you won't want to ignore this video if you want to grasp the slightest bit about how this all came about. In Canada since the late 60's or 70's. I warned about Agenda 21 so long ago.

Stop deflecting. A vote for the PPC is not a vote for sports fishing. If you think that you’re naive or in denial. They won’t get elected. Period. Stomp your feet all you want about the way the current system is set up but that’s life man. Deal with it. A vote for the PPC is a vote for the liberal party, period. So try and ignore that cognitive dissonance you’ll have. But it’s fact. Check beside ppc and ensure the liberals get in.

I'm pretty sure when I looked about the Nanaimo harbour today spotting 3 large spill containment ships and several barges for spill containment (all constructed and crewed under a Liberal government), that there is every expectation by the Liberals they will build the pipeline. So both major parties have the same agenda - build it and move on.

Let's try to influence transformative change for the worst CO2 polluting countries like China. Why not provide incentives for them to change, like linking their ability to import products here to meeting CO2 targets? If they couldn't sell products to Canada until they meet specific targets, their behaviour would shift rapidly. Simple.

Meanwhile and quite frankly, I would rather have China burning Canadian LNG any day than burning Canadian coal. Similarly, I would rather have Canadian oil transported by a pipeline any day, than by rail which is considerably higher risk to the environment. I'm begging to ask any of the green protesters, how they get around....willing to bet they burned carbon to get to their protests.

The simple reality is that there is not a single thing in our lives that isn’t touched by hydrocarbons at some point on the value chain.

Ask these greenies that.

I asked my mom to name one thing in her life that wasn’t touched by oil after she said “we don’t need anymore pipelines”....she thought about for a minute and responded “nothing”.

As you say, the answer is responsible resource development and pursuing the cleanest alternatives...nat gas is better than coal.

In many parts of North America, people think they are off the hydrocarbons by driving a Tesla...well open your eyes, we are burning coal to generate electricity.

https://www.carbonbrief.org/mapped-worlds-coal-power-plants

The simple reality is that there is not a single thing in our lives that isn’t touched by hydrocarbons at some point on the value chain.

Ask these greenies that.

I asked my mom to name one thing in her life that wasn’t touched by oil after she said “we don’t need anymore pipelines”....she thought about for a minute and responded “nothing”.

As you say, the answer is responsible resource development and pursuing the cleanest alternatives...nat gas is better than coal.

In many parts of North America, people think they are off the hydrocarbons by driving a Tesla...well open your eyes, we are burning coal to generate electricity.

https://www.carbonbrief.org/mapped-worlds-coal-power-plants

These greenies are under no illusion that oil and gas touch every aspect of our lives. We are advocating for change, recognizing that it is a huge part of life right now, but that it needs to be less if we want to keep enjoying the world as we do now and have for the past countless generations.

How about you find me a oil and gas advocate that isnt under the illusion that they can have their cake and eat it too. Climate change and continuing productive waters for salmon are at odds. Continuing down the road of expanding oil, coal or natural gas production and export will reduce the capacity of our local environment to support the fisheries we now enjoy. But we prefer to point the finger at our government for our failing fisheries. Anywhere but at ourselves.

That is why I wont be voting CPC. If only we had a party that was environmentally responsible, fiscally conservative and socially liberal...party politics suck.

These greenies are under no illusion that oil and gas touch every aspect of our lives. We are advocating for change, recognizing that it is a huge part of life right now, but that it needs to be less if we want to keep enjoying the world as we do now and have for the past countless generations.

How about you find me a oil and gas advocate that isnt under the illusion that they can have their cake and eat it too. Climate change and continuing productive waters for salmon are at odds. Continuing down the road of expanding oil, coal or natural gas production and export will reduce the capacity of our local environment to support the fisheries we now enjoy. But we prefer to point the finger at our government for our failing fisheries. Anywhere but at ourselves.

That is why I wont be voting CPC. If only we had a party that was environmentally responsible, fiscally conservative and socially liberal...party politics suck.

Why would you vote cpc when you already stated in a previous post your a green. Your past post history says it all.

If I had to guess I would say sports fishing is not a very big priority of yours and you would’ve t care much if we were
Shut down.

Last edited:
Back