Do You Run Your Yamaha T-8 Dry?

Slabby20

Do you run your Yami T-8 dry of fuel after each use? I had always run them dry but last year a mechanic told me I shouldn't and to leave the fuel line connected and fuel in the carb. Seems to be two schools of thought on that one. What do you do?

Put Marine Stabil in your fuel and leave her as is (flushing after salt water use goes without saying). 10 years of Yammi 4-stroke ownership and like FD, never had a problem leaving them fully primed

I now run a Honda and my habits have changed---I drain the carb. after every use. Reason: Honda carbs can be fussy due to having very narrow jets. Honda includes a screw in the carb float bowl connected to a purging hose specifically for that purpose so I figure I might as well use it.

I've had outboard mechanics confirm that Honda carbs on the smaller kickers are a bit less forgiving then Yammi and Mercs because of the tolerances of the jets

i never run it dry. My T8 gets 5 months of use a year, then gets winterized. Never had an issue. Put Stabil in it,

I think, but don't know for sure, that running it dry was more important for the old two-stroke motors that ran the gas/oil blend.

Back