Do you ever re-freeze bait???

lucky strikes

hey fellas, just wondering......after having chovies in a brine solution, has anybody ever tried re-freezing them and using them a couple days/ weeks later??

regards, Lucky S

Hot lunch, Get bent.......don't even think about chiming in with your cheapskate comments.

Leave them in the brine and freeze the whole thing, do this all the time and use from weekend to weekend with no problems.

Cheers

SS

As Sitka says, no problem with using bait frozen in brine, one thing I find is to keep the bait cool while out fishing, don't leave them in the sun.

Hey Lucky did you make it out to the mile marker? I heard it went off, or did you stick n stay and not make it pay????

Getbent

so this presents the question....is it better to throw in freezer after a day of fishing in the brine, or the fridge? I have heard both arguments and really don't have a clue which route is better to go! If you go with fridge, how long is too long?

Boat was out of commision for 10 days, left the Bait in Brine in the Beer Fridge, it worked when I went out but I chucked it at the days end, it was still firm but the Scales were starting to come off in clumps. Driller ps my Brother used to throw it in the Freezer but the bellies blew out after about 2 Min., possibly not enough Salt, if it gets too bad for Springs Hos will be all over it :) to answer your question Deewar , about a week in the fridge and its done for me....

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had bait from last year (yes last year) tag springs this year. You'll know if your bait has been in the fridge/freezer too long without enough salt if they are rotting, if the bellys are going soft or if they are missing tons of scales.

I think if it looks good and feels firm give it a try. I try to use fresher bait but I don't chuck the old stuff if it rolls nice it will catch them. Or like was said above if your worried the springs won't like it save it for a ho.

Back