Do you buy quality lead cannonballs?

I lose a couple a year. Had one guy buy 10 and came back the following week for 10 more as he decided to learn how to fish Cape Beale that weekend. :)

If your going to try to make your own balls safely get ready for some expenses which makes other guys balls look good... LOL :) hahaha
I also only lose a couple every year as well....Actually they are normally lost by my friends who don't know how to operate a DR properly :rolleyes: I still think that for those of us who are resourceful and energetic reap the rewards for our work. Even at a value of $25/ ball, its still worth it to make your own.
Ad in propane, a burner, a pot, a really good respirator, really good welding gloves, the cost of good lead, your time, coveralls, damage, health affects, molds, cutters, damage to your property.... You might find it not worth it.
I still use an old white gas Coleman and it works great. all of the other safety gear I already had. For health effects, there is no question that working with lead is hazardous. Its funny, when I am pouring lead I am outside in my backyard and I look like an episode of Breaking Bad. I picture the swat squad coming in to bust me thinking I am cooking meth or something. :cool:

Maybe if you go commercial and want to make them to sell them and you expose yourself to it every day. but making a dozen once a year and fully covered and respirator and safety glasses already in hand, no problem.
Is it worth it? I haven't poured a ball in a couple years. I am just a middle man selling another guys balls now
It is for me. others experiences may vary.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont make balls so to me it doesnt matter what is in them,
but I do know this from making my own bullets for years you cant hide **** that wants to float.
but I have also seen those pictures posted on CL slagging balls from surrey, now thats a pretty
broad generalization since there are a few people in surrey that make them
so as not to slag all of them or give them all a black eye why not post up whos they are if you are so confidant who's they are?
if the members the balls came from would rather pm me please do so and I'll post it
seems like a bit of a witch hunt to me
Tim

Thanks For pointing That out that a few guy's in Surrey Make Dirty Balls. I would hate to think someone is selling Dirty balls !!! It's Not Me !!! I Get my lead balls scuba diving & remelt ones with out eyes or if they are beet up.
I Skim all the junk the floats up out of the hot lead . I only Want to sell nice clean balls . No complaints that I no of. One of the members offered to buy all my Surrey balls . That how I saw this thread .LOL.
SLick

Thanks For pointing That out that a few guy's in Surrey Make Dirty Balls. I would hate to think someone is selling Dirty balls !!! It's Not Me !!! I Get my lead balls scuba diving & remelt ones with out eyes or if they are beet up.
I Skim all the junk the floats up out of the hot lead . I only Want to sell nice clean balls . No complaints that I no of. One of the members offered to buy all my Surrey balls . That how I saw this thread .LOL.
SLick
Not to worry Slick!
it was cleared up with a pm and its not you or my buddy Rich (gogreen) they were talking about
its another surrey/guildford area guy I was told,
I think this thread needs to be put to bed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back