Distance between prawn traps??

Jencourt

Had a discussion at lunch yesterday about this. Up till now I have been putting no less than about 30 feet and usually about 50 between my two prawn traps.

How far do you like them spaced and why? If rope length is not an issue is 100 feet better? I always worry about getting to long and having someone drop on top thinking they are safe?

Cheers: Ray

i do like 100' so they dont fish against each other... 50 or more anyway....

I have 50ft of floating line between the traps...figure it covers some ground but is close enough to the buoy to prevent someone laying over top, like you say

I have been doing pretty good with 25-30 feet between traps, I think more importantly is the 5 lb weight 20 feet in front of the second trap. went out with a buddy the other day and he didn't have a weight in front of his traps and pulled pretty much a blank-3-5 prawns in each and them my string came up with a pretty good haul.

I run 600' lines so it depends. If I fish in 300' of water they are further apart. If I fish in 400' they are closer together. I use the depth to decide how far apart my traps are. Want me to show you Ray? :)

I have experimented and found no difference in catch rate with 30' and 75' between traps in saanich inlet. I also agree with jeffwestcoast that the most important piece is the weight 20 ft up from the trap. Adding a downrigger cannonball is the way to go..... until you have yo pull it 300' off the bottom but i usually try and have a rookie along for that part.

I'm with Jeffy on this one it's trap movement and location not distance between traps.

Cheers

While I do like the weight in front of the second trap I've always believed that any pausing during a haul and the bugs swim away (such as unhooking a cannon ball)

I never use extra weight and do just fine. 30, 50, 100ft between traps? Who cares just drop them both ontop of the prawns and you'll get them.

I do not fish heavy current areas if you do then yes extra weight would be more important.

wrap bottom perimiter of your traps with chain or? and then no need for cannonball....and no need to stop the steady pull.
agree that any pause and they are swimming out very fast.
a freind of mine made a single strand of stainless wire hinged in the O ring , similar to crab trap , it is very fine wire and he swears it has increased his catch using Ladner traps.
I put about 50' between them but if fishing shallow i make it longer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I came up with something cheap to add weight. Cut up rebar and attach to trap bars with plastic fasteners.Works for me.

I've made a few small mini anchors about 5 or 6 inches long...using stainless rod bent and tacked together ... (basically small blunt treble hooks) weld a lock washer on the treble, and crimp some light wire to it to attatch to the trap... basically anchors the trap. seems to work for me and doesn't add a bunch of weight...

Back