Direction for marine electronics

ChrisK

So now that the boat is ordered, it’s time to figure out all the electronics. I’m looking for a relatively economical system that has the ability to scale over time. So to start, chart plotter, fish finder and VHF, with the ability to add radar and autopilot later. Also, engines will come with Mercury Vesselview which should provide all engine data.
I’ve always been a Garmin guy, but if there’s something better I’m missing, I’m all ears. Just to give a starting point, I’ve been looking at the 942xs for a main display and the 742xs as a second display at the rear helm. Any feedback on those?

simrad is much better but its a personal choice. i like it just because its relatively easy to get support and it exposes the nmea 2k bus.
i would do a simrad evo3, rs-100b and a forwardscan/active imaging 3 in 1 install.

I’m a Hummingbird guy myself as far as price goes you can find something to fit just about any budget.

I went with the Helix 7 Chirp for a rear head unit and will be ordering the Helix 10 or 12 haven’t quite decided yet for the main head unit in the cabin. Along with their 24” Chirp radar all tied together through the Hummingbird ethernet hub. All very easy to install and hook up. With the new G4N units they are compatible with all manufacturers vessel views and come standard with NMEA 2000. Hummingbirds networking capabilities are insane. They aren’t that popular out west but they are darn fine units with very advanced technology. Cabellas out in your part of the world deals in them and their prices are hard to beat. Here in AB I deal with The Fishin Hole and they give a guy a pretty darn good price if you go all exclusive through them.

Just my opinion and preference is all.

So now that the boat is ordered, it’s time to figure out all the electronics. I’m looking for a relatively economical system that has the ability to scale over time. So to start, chart plotter, fish finder and VHF, with the ability to add radar and autopilot later. Also, engines will come with Mercury Vesselview which should provide all engine data.
I’ve always been a Garmin guy, but if there’s something better I’m missing, I’m all ears. Just to give a starting point, I’ve been looking at the 942xs for a main display and the 742xs as a second display at the rear helm. Any feedback on those?
I have the Garmin 942xs and 1242xsv with Radar. It’s awesome. If your are Garmin guy you won’t be disappointed

Do you have them mirrored off the same transducer? Or sonar on only one of the units?
Sonar cable only goes to my helm unit but data is transmitted seamlessly to all devices via the Garmin network. If you have an iPad you can even display it on there via wireless. So when cruising you can have the 942 running the charts and the depth sounder display on the iPad.

Sonar cable only goes to my helm unit but data is transmitted seamlessly to all devices via the Garmin network. If you have an iPad you can even display it on there via wireless. So when cruising you can have the 942 running the charts and the depth sounder display on the iPad.
Nice!

If your helm is out of direct light you can put a MFD at the rear helm & mirror/control it with a tablet at the main helm. I believe all brands support this. I think map chips /cartography are pretty similar across the brands. Depending on the size/layout of your boat I'd tend to go with a single larger (12"+) MFD at the main helm. My Furuno uses a remote; don't know about the brands. Furuno's newest with dual channel CHIRP 12 inch MFD can be had for around $3K US. It supports a low priced wireless RADAR. Support questions are usually answered the same day & the repair is in Camas WA. When used with a dual channel transducer, it offers some F/F features nobody else has.

Back