Dingy outfitting for fishing missions

kaelc

Looking to add a rod mount or two and a tiller extension for my dingy.

where have you mounted your rod holders on small boats under 10 feet? I have the Scotty rod mount patch to put on

Anyone use a min Kota tiler extension handle? I can get up on plane when running solo, but this would make it easier to get my weight forward when I have a small load onboard.

What essentials are kayak fishers, and other small boaters taking? I might invest in one of those blue tooth fish finders but no battery or riggers.

anyone use dipsy divers? Could you troll with two rods and make turns with them? I have deep six but can’t see running two lines.

These are the things I dream about while my son naps!

13322E56-547E-4675-AF35-26F41088AEF3.jpeg

I mounted scotty holders on the wood seats. 8 footer and we run two rods. No riggers. I wanted to have a solid mount for my phone to run Navionics. But that's it. A good unbrella holder is nice for the wife.

I have one of those tiller extensions. I used it on my old 15hp Honda kicker. Worked just fine, but I’ve got remote steering on the new kicker. PM me if you’d like the tiller extension. Cheers

Use jet divers when trolling without riggers. Garmin unit or lowrance with a suction cup transducer run off a small quad battery

Insane! What a great setup!
Thanks, it's super effective. It trolls winter deep w/12lb balls. Two wingnuts and its back to being a normal dinghy. I know it doesn't answer your question about rod holders, but here's my previous setup and it may help. zodiacDR.jpg

Gear is just bolted to a board thats clamped to the seat.

I too am considering the MinnKota extension, would like to know how that works out!

I’ve been fishing out of inflatables for many years, both river and salt-chuck, and have figured out lots of ways to jury-rig my boats for rod holders and downriggers. Inflatables with seat-straps offer a handy attachment place for both

This shows the seat-strap approach to keep a rod-holder stabilized when pulling diving plugs for springs in a river

Those same seat-straps I also use to attach my downrigger—-I built a bracket out of STarboard which fit into the opposing seat strap. I then used some downrigger stainless cable and an eye-bolt in the hard (wooden) floor to keep the downrigger stabilized in the seat strap

The tiller extension handle is critical to keep your weight forward....I typically run rivers standing up so I can look for rocks —-same stance in the salt chuck so my legs can absorb the waves instead me arse.....

6CC0BB5F-B7FE-43BD-B29B-204118C4C442.jpeg

Back