DFO Waffling Hurts BC Businesses!

Whole in the Water

The impacts of the DFO waffling are starting to take their toll! Such Bullshyte I say! :mad:

By Rachel Stern - Nanaimo News Bulletin
Published: January 26, 2012 12:00 PM

The recreational fishing economy is hurting because of the delayed announcement on 2012 halibut fishery quotas.

Guides, fishing lodges and charter companies are trying to book customers, but aren’t getting any bites because nothing has been announced about the season, said Clyde Wicks, chairman of the Sport Fishing Advisory Committee Nanaimo branch.

“It’s devastating to guides,” he said.

Wayne Harling, a member of the B.C. Coalition of Salt Water Anglers, said the announcement was expected months ago.

“This has a very profound impact on some coastal communities,” said Harling, adding the effects are deeper for smaller communities more reliant on the recreational sector.

Recreational fishermen expected an announcement before the end of 2011, which was later extended to the end of this month.

Wicks said anglers are now being told the announcement could be made before the beginning of the 2012 halibut season, which has typically been in February, but can be as late as March.

Last spring, former Fisheries and Oceans Minister Gail Shea appointed parliamentary secretary Randy Kamp to develop options for the 2012 season that addressed concerns from stakeholders. He examined issues of conservation, economic prosperity and flexibility options to transfer allotments between the commercial and recreational sector.

Robert Alcock, president of the Sport Fishing Institute of British Columbia, said the recreational sector was promised there would be changes made to the halibut allocation policy.

Recreational fishermen want their portion of the catch increased, while the commercial sector wants the allocation percentages to remain the same. The halibut fishery is split 88 to 12 per cent between the commercial and recreational fisheries. First Nations also receive a portion, which is allocated before the split.

Wicks said anglers want a percentage that will enable them to fish from the typical start of the season in February to the end of December and maintain a two halibut possession limit.

The International Pacific Halibut Commission, an international organization formed in 1923 by a convention between the Canadian and U.S. governments to research and manage Pacific halibut stocks, met this week in Anchorage, Ala. to determine each country’s total allowable catch for the year.

Last year’s total allowable catch was 7.6 million pounds. The recreation sector’s portion was 947,760 pounds and the commercial portion was about 6.7 million.

Tamee Karim, Department of Fisheries and Oceans manager of ground fish, said Canada first needs to know its total allowable catch for the season before announcing when the season will open. She added that determining total allowable catch limits is a separate issue from changes to the quotas.

She said any announcements regarding changes to the halibut fishery will come from Fisheries Minister Keith Ashfield.

reporter3@nanaimobulletin.com

So my question is if the BC TAC has been cut back by 13% by the IHC for this year, how short will this years season be and/or how much reduced will the catch limits be to deal with this 13% reduction (especially with last years overage on the sport caught quota)?

Hear that someone on CFAX radio today might have hinted at a Feb. 1 hali opening - any truth to this?

Last edited by a moderator:
I will bet money that it won't be open in Feb.......in fact i say April 1 will be our best case scenario.

I think the pattern is obvious, less fish and less time to fish with each passing year. DFO to me means "Dead Fishless Oceans". It is the top dogs in Ottawa's agenda. No wild salmon means no worry of spreading viruses from fish farms, no fish means hydro electric dams on any river that can generate power for industry, no fish means those pesky killer whales will bugger off and look for food somewhere else, no more fish means Grizzly Bears will die off and they can chop down the rest of the old growth forests to send to Asia so we can buy it back as crap furniture. Then we will be just like Europe and the tourists won't have a reason to come here anymore. What took a few thousand years to accomplish over there we will do in a couple hundred. I guess we will show them!!! So sad.

Canada got 7.03 million lbs at the IPHC session in Anchorage. Less than last year but more than staff recommendations. DFO has now run out of its last excuse to continue to delay in announcing what our domestic allocation formula is, and when the recreational fishery will start.

CP

Derby it is 3:32 pm govy offices close soon, I am gonna hunt you down, I won't stop till I find you, you will get yours for spreading lies Have a good weekend my friend

We'll your hunting me down..drop bye some more of that most excellent moose steak ..yummmmyyy.... ;)
I was hearing a few things and usually DFO puts these announcement out late on a friday afternoon's....of course then they can go hide....... this could actually be a good thing... perhaps not bad news... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Bollocks is right.
Perhaps, and I stress perhaps, Minister Keith Ashfield will show he has some bollocks.
We all know that the outgoing troll didn't have any.

Well with they way this government handles fisheries, they are going to have a short season and try and promote the leasing program. I have sent quite a few emails and never get a response, does anyone hear back from Ashfield???

Back