DFO Update on Fraser Chinook Tuesday 11:30 am

West Coast Vancouver Island offshore areas will have non-retention of Chinook until July 14 followed by a limit of two (2) Chinook per day from July 15 to December 31. West Coast Vancouver Island inshore waters will remain at two (2) Chinook per day for the season once at-risk Chinook stocks have passed through, to support the long term viability of the salmon and of the recreational fishery.... Not fully catching this.. Is retention still the same inside as it appears? What's the "passed through" deal?

I was told by persons with industry ties and many are SFAB reps that option A would never be on the table as a serious option. They wanted no talk of option A as it woukd negatively impact business. They put all their eggs on option B and told the public not to worry, book your trips, buy tackle, boats etc. Many were trying to fly undr the radar so long as WCVI got off relatively unscathed. Well I guess that blew up in your face and now we all suffer. This has been bugging me for awhile, ever since the hostile take over of some SFAC chairs. Its off my chest.

Last edited:
It’s gonna be katie bar the door on the Alberni Inlet, the last bastion of may-june Chinook fishing for Southern BC, can’t even imagine the pressure that will be put on that fishery! I’m no longer a boat owner so it won’t be out there but I’ Sure lots will be

Boy the very politically connected Tyee Club in Campbell River did just fine, they start rowing the day it’s open for Chinook in the Tyee Pool. I didn’t think I’d see that slaughter go by the wayside . This whole thing wreaks of Politics and ********

Chinook fishing restrictions increased in effort to protect B.C.’s southern resident killer whales
VANCOUVER—The critically endangered southern resident killer whales may have more chinook salmon to eat this summer, as Fisheries and Oceans Canada announced stricter fishing quotas for British Columbia’s coast on Tuesday.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada — often called the Department of Fisheries and Oceans, or DFO — already reduced harvesting quotas for B.C. chinook by a third last summer, but staff admitted Tuesday that those measures have not been as effective as they hoped.

orca_with_salmon_cwr.jpg

A southern resident killer whale holds a piece of salmon in its mouth. Chinook salmon make up about 80 per cent of the diet of this particular population of orca. (Astrid van Ginneken / Center for Whale Research)
The DFO is now setting a new goal of reducing chinook salmon mortality to five per cent for 2019. The new restrictions are aimed specifically at protecting the Fraser chinook fisheries.

Current mortality levels for chinook returning to the Fraser River before July are closer to 20 per cent, according to Misty MacDuffee, wild salmon program co-ordinator at Raincoast Conservation Foundation. The southern resident orcas rely heavily on this specific cohort of fish, she said.

MacDuffee applauded the DFO’s new measures but said even more needs to be done if the department is to truly take a “precautionary approach,” as it claims.

“We have been looking for a plan like this for some time now, for at least three years. It’s unfortunate that it has taken such a crisis to implement these measures,” she said, referring both to declining chinook stocks and the weakening southern resident killer whale population.

Read more:

Scientists are split on whether a virus is killing B.C.’s salmon, but an inside look shows Ottawa chose sides long ago

Matriarch of well-known orca family is starving to death, B.C. researchers fear

Skipping salmon on menus one small step toward saving B.C. orcas, experts say

“We will end up in the same place, with a real crisis, if we don’t take stronger measures now.”

B.C.’s iconic resident orcas rely on chinook, also known as king salmon, as their main food source. Whale experts say the southern resident orcas are dangerously close to extinction due to starvation and other threats, such as vessel noise and pollution.

The federal government’s new fishing restrictions for spring and summer vary depending on region. Fraser River recreational fisheries will be completely closed for the summer.

In the Johnstone Strait and the Strait of Juan de Fuca, recreational fishers will have to abide by a catch-and-release policy for chinook until July 14 and 31, respectively. After that, daily quotas will increase to one per person. Traditionally, daily quotas have been two chinook per person.

People on the west coast of Vancouver Island will face similar restrictions, with fishers having to release any chinook they catch in offshore waters until July 14.

Commercial chinook fisheries are closed for the summer.

But MacDuffee said she wants to see even stronger restrictions. She hopes the DFO will halt fishing activity for all salmon species in the Strait of Juan de Fuca and the Strait of Georgia because even the catch and release of chinook can cause mortality.

At this point, the ailing southern resident orcas need all the help they can get, she said.

She is also calling for a decrease in the number of hatcheries — where juvenile salmon are raised by humans before being released into the wild — because human-reared salmon weaken the genetic pool of wild fish, she said.

In December, a panel of independent experts tasked with assessing the health of wildlife in Canada said some chinook salmon populations in southern B.C. could be wiped out in the next 15 to 20 years if no action is taken to help them recover.

The panel found half of the 16 chinook populations assessed by the Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada are endangered. There are 28 chinook populations in southern B.C. alone.

There are 74 whales left in the southern resident orca population, which ply the waters off the Pacific Northwest.

Aerial photos of the whales taken last fall showed three of them were dangerously thin. At least one of them appears to be recovering. Researchers at the Center for Whale Research in Washington state saw matriarch J17 last week in healthier condition.

Three southern resident orcas died in 2018.

Wanyee Li is a Vancouver-based reporter covering courts, wildlife conservation and new technology. Follow her on Twitter: @wanyeelii

Does the mean green bubble mean bamfield is closed till july 15th?
No, all of Area 23 will be open as usual - 2 per day/4 in possession. Only the offshore areas such as 123 etc would fall under the new regulations changes for non-retention until July 14. They are working on the fisheries notices this week to get the non-retention changes in. Expect those this week.

Is area 17 non retention then?I can’t see anything posted on the dfo site yet.
Area 17 will fall under non-retention until July 31...then goes to 1 until Sept when it opens to 2. The Fisheries Notices are coming.....

Area 17 will fall under non-retention until July 31...then goes to 1 until Sept when it opens to 2. The Fisheries Notices are coming.....
Area 17 falls under north gs, so July 15th open, thats how I read it.

Back