DFO Ruining Our Fishery Example #972

Barbender

Hi guys. Lots of tempers flarring here on the site with regards to aquaculture. Which I think is great. Need to keep our eyes open to all issues. But I had to pass on this little tid bit that made my blood boil.

From Intrafish:
Watershed Watsh Salmon Society says the document in 2006 under pressure from the fishermen's union, Prince Rupert's mayor and other politicians DFO Managers allowed severe overfishing at the mouth of the Skeena River.
Gillnet boats fished 29 days in 2006 over twice the 10 year average. This resulted in excessive by catch of steelhead and weak salmon stocks and contributed to dangerously low returns of Skeena tributaries, the group said.
"We think DFO's failure to responsibly manage this fishery is endangering the long term health of Skeena Wild salmon and the economy of the entire Skeena watershed. We are calling for an independent investigation to determine what happened in 2006 and ensure mismanagement isn't repeated this season".
The group says documents show DFO refused to take enforcement action after it learned fishermen were ignoring rules designed to avoid killing weak salmon and steelhead stocks.

On and on it goes. Here they are worrying about a couple of sporties fishing with barbed hooks. Yet you have boats killing thousands of endangered fish and doing nothing about it. In a few years we will all be saying this was all avoidable when the fish are gone. It is enough to make you sick. You would think after the complete collapse of the fishery on the east coast and all the mistakes made up until now things would change. Yet here we are in 2007 and the same stupid mistakes are being made.

Back