DFO Holding back Salmon Report

it's a "post-curser".

DFO will treat Cohen recommendations just like they have done in implementing recommendations in the wild salmon policy.

Maybe they'll ignore the matter entirely, or at best - cherrypick and implement a few easy recommendations, but leave the hard ones.

Maybe they'll implement a few easy ones just before the next federal election to make it look good. Maybe they'll prefer to let sleeping dogs lie and hope the general public has forgotten about Cohen by the next election.

In any event - don't expect ANY real intent to protect our natural resources. Canada is up for sale, haven't you heard?

If the wild salmon policy helped got pipelines built - it would have been in the last omnibus bill.

Welcome to Harperland. Orwell would have been expecting this to happen in 1984. welcome to 2013 Canada...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it has more to do with social and economic costs that would most certainly occur if several upper Fraser River sockeye stocks were considered to be in need of a recovery plan. For sure these fish need all the help and protection they can get but I don’t feel confident that will happen. I hope I’m wrong but I think there are just too many implications for doing what's necessary.. ie. closing fisheries, curtailing logging, predator control, pipelines, mining, etc, etc.

DFO has been a circus for some years now. The conservatives have brought in new lights and corporate sponsors for the new show ... and PANDAS!!

If you go to court and the judge says 'you owe this amount of money, you must pay' or 'you must go to counseling' you have to f'in do it! Why they hell is there no penalty's for not following threw with ANY of Judge Cohen's recommendations?

If you go to court and the judge says 'you owe this amount of money, you must pay' or 'you must go to counseling' you have to f'in do it! Why they hell is there no penalty's for not following threw with ANY of Judge Cohen's recommendations?
Because nowhere in Judge Cohen's terms of reference are there any legal requirement for the government to act on his reccomendations - let alone timelines for implementation.

Those who make the laws are immune from them - or so it appears for many politicians. Conflict of interest guidelines are weak and uninforceable.

If you destroyed a creek in your backyard - enforcement officers would be quick to lay a charge - and you'd be out of pocket $$$.

Get into Harper's government with a oil patch stock portfolio and destroy a whole coast - and that's okay.

I wonder if the BCWF has made a response to this news, you would think our MPs and MLAs on the coast surely would stand up say something about this.

Back